Hastings Direct Smart Miles Reviews

Hastings Direct Smart Miles have a Customer Happiness Grade of B-. Customers love their prices but are unhappy with their refunds. Full Insights

14% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct Smart Miles
6PM
6PM
Telephone

How would you rate Hastings Direct Smart Miles ?

"this company cancelled my sons policy now they want £150 for the telematics box and £45 for them cancelling. Rip off company"
"Absolutely disgusted with this company.Failed to show up to repair a faulty telematics box, "engineer running late", but no call to advise. Tried to rearrange twice, being in queues for over 40 mins both times.Then received an email to say insurance had been cancelled! Then when I called to see what was going on, they said during their security questions that email was their primary contact method, clearly not, since no emails were sent advising of any potential cancellations. After speaking to an adviser (for 40 minutes) who had to keep putting me on hold whilst she tried to get hold of a telematics engineer (welcome to my world I said!), and faced with an uninsured car, that was needed to go to work, I was told that I couldn't get re-insured until 'an investigation' had taken place. Clearly I have been forced into a corner where I have had to go to an alternative insurer, which i would have done in December at the point of renewal, following poor service from Hastings Direct Smart Miles. I have requested a full explanation by email, although I very doubt I'll see it. It is, however, imperative that any sign of having cancellation on my insurance history, is removed immediately, since this is wholly unacceptable without prior notice and is not 'treating customers fairly' as required by the FCA. It is my intention to escalate this to the highest level unless I receive, both the above, along with an apology for the horrendous lack of communication from this company, within 7 days, along with some sort of recompense for the now lack of No claims Discount, having had to cancel 10 months into the year. I intend to approach the relevant ombudsman service accordingly. I too wish I had read reviews on this company, avoid at all costs. Absolutely furious."
"Avoid this scam of a company they offer you cheap insurance after 3 months they lower your scores significantly forcing you to cancel the policy as you will not get another insurance if they cancel it. They will then charge you stupid over the top cancellation fees now that's how they make their money back. It is impossible to get the scores up even after perfect driving with 32 yrs experience yet the scores reduce immediately. This company should be banned from trading avoid this shocking scam of a company pay that bit extra and go elsewhere."
"All I would say is to keep away from hastings smart mile black boxes. Im just in the prosses of cancelling mine. It's a complete scam. Back to PROPER SAFE DRIVING. Hooray."
"braking 100% night driving100% speed 70% acceleration 0% this in a 10 year old car which is a very small diesel driven by a 75 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET REAL HASTINGS SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG."
"Installed a black box in sons car. Acceleration now down to 0 despite braking and speed being very good. Only a month left to run on policy so I imagine this figure has been fixed so you can cancel the policy. I am a DSA Driving instructor and have hours of video evidence to prove my son has been driving in an acceptable manner. I also have been driving this vehicle in an acceptable manner..... This is a warning to Hastings that I am in the process of taking my proof to a solicitor and to the insurance ombudsmen. Hastings are clearly defrauding their customers out of millions by selling and cancelling policies without giving any refunds and charging customers hundreds of pounds for worthless black boxes."
"Awful. Clearly their software is designed to give you a bad score and with a braking score of zero there is no way that my driving can be that bad. Especially when I have been driving for 40 years. Completely manufactured, contrived and dishonest scam."
"This Company is an absolute con. Have got an accident free record of 50 years but their black box thinks it knows better than a proven 50 year safe driving record. Avoid at all costsd"
"Faulty system. Admit it Hastings. Nice little con you have going here, maybe this will be the next PPI scandal. Please read the bad reviews people. Wish we had but lesson learned. This insurance is dangerous, maybe once someone is seriously injured, Hastings smart miles will realise their flawed system"
"I’d give Hastings less than 1 if I could. My Daughter’s policy is about to be cancelled. She has never received a single point for acceleration in 10 months and I believe it’s because of the hilly area we live in (or a faulty/scam of a box) her tiny fiat needs extra acceleration to not stall up our steep hills but Hastings have denied this is correct. I’ve put a formal complaint in and hit a brick wall...I’ve now gone to watchdog and the Insurance Ombudsman. Everyone should do the same so eventually something will be done. These crooks have made my Daughter’s new driving experience very stressful and took the pleasure out of the new car we bought her. Strangely enough a journey after 10pm at night affects the score drastically immediately yet a week of daytime driving only hasn’t affected the score yet...how convenient when she’s been given a seven day cancellation notice. She’s tried on three occasions to call them on the number they left and the recorded message says to call back when they’re open between the hours of 8am and 8pm. She’s phoned at 5pm, 6pm and 7.10pm!"
"I thought the black box wasn't bad at all but I drove at night for 20 minutes one day and it made my score go right down to 35 out of 100 for driving at night. It has now been 3 weeks since and the score is at 85 and I haven't drove at night since. This is unfair as the score should have gone back up to 100 weeks ago. It says avoid driving at night regularly but I have only done this once. This is wrong as I was picking my dad up. I shouldn't be discriminated because of people driving dangerously at night as they would do that anyway regardless of having a black box or not. Something needs to be done about this ASAP."
"Cannot say it enough, avoid forever, worst service and loss of sleep ever! Was involved in a massive accident a few days after signing up. Ring them up day of, and because I hadn’t been able yet to install my black box (because as we know we have to do it ourselves!) they cancelled my insurance, emailed me to say. Ring them up to say it shouldn’t have been cancelled and I haven’t even got the car, and they argue with each other and me for hours about the claims department not properly telling the other departments so can’t decide if it’ll be reinstated or not (without refund!!!). They eventually reinstate, after hours on hold, paying for the phone line, and grief. Next day, they email me, we are cancelling again, not refund of the £1200 policy. Hours more again and no sleep. Eventually told ok the policy will continue to run while you don’t have a car, but you can keep it if you get a car within 6 days. Rush, get a car within 6 days. Obviously stressful, and most insurers would pause the policy and hold it. Ring up to add the new car to insurance policy and they say it’ll only be an extra £35 for that make of car etc, but also £150 for a black box. But we HAVE the brand new in packaging black box from when I couldn’t install it in time from 4 odd weeks ago. They say no, have to buy a new one as this has updates on etc. Despite the fact this older one would’ve been on my car currently for the next year with no updates if I hadn’t crashed. I ask for a refund then on my £150 black box that I already own, but after a lot of arguing they agree to let me use the one I was sent. Until, the next day when I ring again to finish making the changes, and they say “well although the £150 fee is now gone, we misspoke the price and it’s actually £150 more expensive - £185 now”. Spent a few hours getting them to listen to their own recorded phone call, until the manager changed their minds back. Absolutely. Awful. Horrific. Never use this company."
"Beware before committing yourself to this black box with Hastings!! I have cancelled after 14 days at a cost of £125.00 + insurance cost for 14 days to me. Spent more time looking at the speedometer than the road. Wish I had read these reviews before I signed up to this insurance policy. Hastings Customer service said they didn't expect people to leave good reviews, really? wonder why that is? No need for a reply to this review Hastings I will have a better experience with my new insurer!."
"I was happy for the entire year, great app, was proud with my score of 88/100. There were a few hiccups at the start, where the scores did not match my driving but this was quickly resolved by the customer services team. However, when it came to renewal I thought I was going to get a great discount since they claim you get up to 30% off plus your NCD. The quote I was given was more expensive than any other quote I saw on comparison websites that didn't even know I had a black box (by £100)! This includes from Hastings Direct! I called Smartmiles to discuss the quote and describe my confusion and they said there was nothing they can do, that this is the best they can offer and unfortunately don't do price matches. What a complete con and waste of my time. I am very disappointed that it was for nothing because I have now got a new policy with an alternative company and they can't take into account that I have proved I am a good driver."
"Reading through all the reviews regarding Hastings direct insurance. Not just this site but others as well. I still think there wrong. Every review is the same regarding the smart box. It's time something should be done about it. No everyone can be driving wrong. I think hasting direct should have an open day enquiry. So we can all attend there office at bexhill on sea to put our cases to them to prove that these smart boxes are wrong. So come on Tasting put out a date so we can all come."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience with the smart miles telematics box. I will pass this message to the team so that they are aware of your request. I must advise however that Hastings Smart miles is a sister company of Hastings Direct and is not based in Bexhill. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us and I hope that your overall experience improves where this is concerned

-Theo
"I like the smart box as it records all journeys and I hope to prove to a private parking prosecution that I was NOT where they say I was at a particular time . So a useful gadget all round. I do not agree with all the scores I get with my driving but the overall score is still good and my insurance was very slightly reduced this year. Customer service is easy to get but logging on at first was difficult. Hiwever it has been improved or I have got used to it."
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. Its great to see that you have used the data from the box to help in your favour. Its also good that even though your overall score wasn't that high we still managed to give you a discount on your next years policy.

~ Jamie
"If your looking for insurance for your son or daughter avoid hastings smart miles. Awful experience for any new driver filling them with dread and anxienty every time they drive. Pay the extra and avoid getting an innacurate box with an imcompentent insuer and let your son/daughter enjoy thier new found freedom."
Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you have had such a negative experience when using our service. We do try to help and support young inexperienced drivers to become better drivers and have a dedicated department that can give really helpful hints and tips to improve their driving scores. You can contact the First Response Unit on 0800 048 2955.

~ Jamie
"I wish I never went with this company and wouldn’t recommend anyone else does either. The scores are rubbish and never go up but go down within a day. None of them make sense as my breaking is 100 but acceleration is a 0 when my car doesn’t even let me accelerate fast!? I’ve requested emails that were supposedly sent to me but they haven’t been received and they were no able to provide me with a copy. I’ve also been charged more money as the automatically increased my mileage to unlimited without asking and we’re going to cancel in 5 days, which I wouldn’t have know if i didn’t ring up. Absolutely shocking. I’ve had around 5+ threats of my policy being cancelled which has caused me so much stress being a first year driver. This may seem like cheap insurance but it will cost you in the long run with the extra charges and the stress. DO NOT GO WITH THEM"
HI there,

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry to see that you have had so many issues with our policy though. HI can see that you have received emails from us regarding your policy dropping below 40/100 but have you managed to speak with an advisor about this? We do have a dedicated team that can explain how the box works and give you some really good hints and tips on how to improve. You can call the first response unit on 0800 048 2955 for further advise.

~ Jamie
"Just wish i'd read this before insuring my son's car! His time of day score is zero even though you can clearly see his journeys over the last 5 days and he's been in before 10! His score is 38 and we now have an email saying he has 7 days before the insurance is cancelled! Well, it wont get to 7 days as i intend to cancel today, what a shambles of a company which looks to penalise young drivers."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience that your son had during his time with us and that this situation led to the cancellation of his policy. I hope that he has since been able to locate suitable and competitive cover for his vehicle; also that he has a much better experience with his new provider

-Theo
"simple to purchase and recent amendments were very straight forward and can be made through your account online."
Hastings Direct Smart Miles is rated 1.60 based on 307 reviews