Hastings Direct Smart Miles Reviews

14% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct Smart Miles

Tell us how Hastings Direct Smart Miles made you happy

"Exactly the same experience as others! 1 month in and the braking is at 0!! Threatening to cancel the insurance after 40 miles!! It is truly a scam as these boxes which do not update after every journey must cost under a £1 and they charge you £150 when they cancel your insurance. I have contacted BBC watchdog and they are aware of these cowboys but need more complaints as they can’t go by the many hundreds on here. Please contact them on the bbc website so we can shut them down."
"An absolutely diabolical company, who are dictating to it's customers with 20+years no claims, how to drive. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Neither would I give it any stars. Unfortunately most, if not all of us, do make some poor choices if life - taking my car insurance out with this company was one of mine."
"I would not give any stars if it gave you the option because these illegal corrupt company are committing criminal acts by illegally putting young drivers mostly at risk by playing with people lives by illegally scoring drivers false targets to put pressure on the driver to set them up to fail and when are made to make their customers look like they don’t know how to drive despite passing there driving test years ago and because these black boxes are not calibrated and hence give incorrect reading and false marks for driving , since having the box fitted some 4 months ago I have with the help of the sat nave kept UNDER the SPEED LIMITS but they still mark you down for speed what a bunch of fiddling misfits tha talk so nicely to get you signed up and when they got your money they treat you Ike s—-t the ombudsman need to receive more complaints about the criminal company to be able stop these people stealing money from parents and your drivers who work hard to pay these fiddling sods. Please email me to add you to the list of unhappy customers so we can put a stop to these people and hold the person at the top him responsible in a court of law which was mentioned and get the government who are aware of this scam. Please send a message to. Meenagary1@gmail.com. We need to get these people help accountable for their criminal acts and to stop them trading and ruining people’s lives."
"fucking bollocks of a company, rip off pricks, id rather drown my self then recommend them to anyone."
"Box fitted by young pleasant young man, Only been 1 week so far highly satisfied as it truly reflects my driving ability, as an ex. Driving instructor 100% Braking / 100% Accelerating / 100% Speed / 15% Time of day. I felt this was very harsh for one trip on the 16 Nov 2018 at 22:07 which took 11m 8s, over a distance of 2.81 miles. Felt like giving a 1 star review, but did not want to be as mean as Hastings, for such a minor fault. Overall driving score 80. The time of day rating seriously needs to be changed."
"I placed a review 6 days ago with another review site, which described how poor this Company is. In the review I made particular mention about the shortcomings of the Smartmiles black box and Hastings' poor customer service. I cancelled my daughter's policy (after only 14 days) and was told that there was a £175 cancellation charge. I said that I was prepared to pay for the two weeks cover, but owing to the fact that I was given misleading information by Hastings, I requested a full refund of the cancellation charge. I was told that this was not possible and after much complaining and many phone calls, was only given a partial refund. I was advised that the matter would be passed to the Complaints Department, who would decide if I could have a full refund as requested. I read their response to my review with utter amazement. It says " Box scores will update after every journey" and " I am happy to hear that we have now resolved the situation". Both of these statements are completely untrue. Let me make it absolutely clear to anybody reading this: 1. Box scores will not update after every journey - no matter what device you are using. 2. My complaint is far from being resolved. In fact, Hastings Smartmiles' Complaints Department, have sent me a standard response letter saying that they are still investigating the matter and it may take EIGHT WEEKS for them to respond with their findings. I phoned Hastings yesterday to make them aware of the inaccuracy of their response to my review. I was told that they would look into it and amend it. Today it remains unaltered. The Company is a complete disgrace and I would urge anybody who is considering taking insurance with a black box, to look for a far more reputable and trustworthy company, even if it may cost a little more. I have now moved my daughter's policy to another company, who have provided her with a black box that does update after every journey and has staff who can be relied upon to give accurate information about the policy. y "
"I had only been insurance a day when they sent me an email saying, ' we are cancelling your policy because your black box is not installed '. Their instructions say you have 14 days to install the box from your day of purchase of the policy so I've deduced not from the START of cover but from the day you paid for it ! BE AFRAID VERY AFRAID."
Hi there,

I do apologise that the terms and conditions were not made clear to you when you took the policy out, and hope that the policy is now running smoothly.

~ Jamie
"Absolute con for an insurance company. Literally was left not wanting to drive. Unrealistic driving expected! Lost 6 month no claims! Waste of time! Do not insure with this group impossible to get and maintain a score over 30!"
Hi there,

I'm sorry to read you have had such a negative experience with our insurance. We do offer help and support for all policy holders who's scores drop below 40/100 so if you didn't receive this help I apologise sincerely.

~ Jamie
"Terrible scores on braking and time of day very bad policy"
Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you have had issues with your braking score and your time of day score. We do have a dedicated team that can offer you help and support in these area's if you require it. The First Response Unit can be contacted on 0800 048 2955.

~ Jamie
"Sold my car people still trying to claim from me for accident which happened when I was not the owner very little help from hastings"
Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you are still having contact fro us regarding this matter. I do hope that this matter gets resolved and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

~ Jamie
"this company cancelled my sons policy now they want £150 for the telematics box and £45 for them cancelling. Rip off company"
"Absolutely disgusted with this company.Failed to show up to repair a faulty telematics box, "engineer running late", but no call to advise. Tried to rearrange twice, being in queues for over 40 mins both times.Then received an email to say insurance had been cancelled! Then when I called to see what was going on, they said during their security questions that email was their primary contact method, clearly not, since no emails were sent advising of any potential cancellations. After speaking to an adviser (for 40 minutes) who had to keep putting me on hold whilst she tried to get hold of a telematics engineer (welcome to my world I said!), and faced with an uninsured car, that was needed to go to work, I was told that I couldn't get re-insured until 'an investigation' had taken place. Clearly I have been forced into a corner where I have had to go to an alternative insurer, which i would have done in December at the point of renewal, following poor service from Hastings Direct Smart Miles. I have requested a full explanation by email, although I very doubt I'll see it. It is, however, imperative that any sign of having cancellation on my insurance history, is removed immediately, since this is wholly unacceptable without prior notice and is not 'treating customers fairly' as required by the FCA. It is my intention to escalate this to the highest level unless I receive, both the above, along with an apology for the horrendous lack of communication from this company, within 7 days, along with some sort of recompense for the now lack of No claims Discount, having had to cancel 10 months into the year. I intend to approach the relevant ombudsman service accordingly. I too wish I had read reviews on this company, avoid at all costs. Absolutely furious."
"Avoid this scam of a company they offer you cheap insurance after 3 months they lower your scores significantly forcing you to cancel the policy as you will not get another insurance if they cancel it. They will then charge you stupid over the top cancellation fees now that's how they make their money back. It is impossible to get the scores up even after perfect driving with 32 yrs experience yet the scores reduce immediately. This company should be banned from trading avoid this shocking scam of a company pay that bit extra and go elsewhere."
"All I would say is to keep away from hastings smart mile black boxes. Im just in the prosses of cancelling mine. It's a complete scam. Back to PROPER SAFE DRIVING. Hooray."
"braking 100% night driving100% speed 70% acceleration 0% this in a 10 year old car which is a very small diesel driven by a 75 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET REAL HASTINGS SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG."
"Installed a black box in sons car. Acceleration now down to 0 despite braking and speed being very good. Only a month left to run on policy so I imagine this figure has been fixed so you can cancel the policy. I am a DSA Driving instructor and have hours of video evidence to prove my son has been driving in an acceptable manner. I also have been driving this vehicle in an acceptable manner..... This is a warning to Hastings that I am in the process of taking my proof to a solicitor and to the insurance ombudsmen. Hastings are clearly defrauding their customers out of millions by selling and cancelling policies without giving any refunds and charging customers hundreds of pounds for worthless black boxes."
"Awful. Clearly their software is designed to give you a bad score and with a braking score of zero there is no way that my driving can be that bad. Especially when I have been driving for 40 years. Completely manufactured, contrived and dishonest scam."
"This Company is an absolute con. Have got an accident free record of 50 years but their black box thinks it knows better than a proven 50 year safe driving record. Avoid at all costsd"
"Faulty system. Admit it Hastings. Nice little con you have going here, maybe this will be the next PPI scandal. Please read the bad reviews people. Wish we had but lesson learned. This insurance is dangerous, maybe once someone is seriously injured, Hastings smart miles will realise their flawed system"
"I’d give Hastings less than 1 if I could. My Daughter’s policy is about to be cancelled. She has never received a single point for acceleration in 10 months and I believe it’s because of the hilly area we live in (or a faulty/scam of a box) her tiny fiat needs extra acceleration to not stall up our steep hills but Hastings have denied this is correct. I’ve put a formal complaint in and hit a brick wall...I’ve now gone to watchdog and the Insurance Ombudsman. Everyone should do the same so eventually something will be done. These crooks have made my Daughter’s new driving experience very stressful and took the pleasure out of the new car we bought her. Strangely enough a journey after 10pm at night affects the score drastically immediately yet a week of daytime driving only hasn’t affected the score yet...how convenient when she’s been given a seven day cancellation notice. She’s tried on three occasions to call them on the number they left and the recorded message says to call back when they’re open between the hours of 8am and 8pm. She’s phoned at 5pm, 6pm and 7.10pm!"
Hastings Direct Smart Miles is rated 1.59 based on 317 reviews