Hastings Direct Smart Miles Reviews

14% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct Smart Miles

How would you rate Hastings Direct Smart Miles?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

266 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
Sean Cook

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Hastings Direct Smart Miles in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"WORST COMPANY EVER, RUINED MY LIFE THE BUNCH OF *****!!! Cancelled me because I did 30 in a 20, oh nooo When I asked if I can cancel my insurance they said no, we will cancel it so your next insurers will charge more!!! Now I have to pay £4,000 at the age of 19. I know these are cheaper, and I looked at the reviews and was like nevermind it will be fine but it isn't! Do not go with these, the black box means you have to drive about 4mph and turn round the corner at 2mph otherwise you get a bad score and they threaten to cancel!!! STAY AWAY"
Hi Sean,

I'm sorry that your time with Hastings Smart miles has caused so much frustration and inconvenience. This policy isn't suitable for all customers and it's disheartening to see that you didn't have the best experience. I hope you have a better time with your new insurer. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us

-Theo
"Staff are friendly and helpful. Online portal is easy to use"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 week ago
"Never had a single point for breaking in 8 months. 92% for acceleration and 80% for speeding so doesn't make sense that i'd be breaking hard all the time. Hastings say there can't be anything wrong with the box as the breaking and acceleration are controlled by the same part inside the box and therefore if the acceleration works then the breaking must too. Yes I just accelerate up to the speed limit then break hard to make journeys more interesting 😕"
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience with our telematics box. I hope that any issues that may be present and would have caused this have been resolved since your review and your scores can improve soon. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us

-Theo
"I keep getting emails off them saying my driving score is too low and that they're going to terminate my insurance because of my working shift where i have to drive into work at unsociable hours. wish i never got the black box insurance with them and wont be renewing with them that's for sure."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 weeks ago
"Took a smartmiles policy out for my daughter, after having no problems with a telematics box. Renew was supposed to be 25% bonus as a reward for her driving. Quote no satisfactory. With two weeks of box being fitted, received a threatening email, stating that her policy would be cancelled, with costs if her driving did ot improve. After contacting Hastings, it was agreed that the scores would be loked out after another 200 miles. Less than fifty miles later, had more calls and email, beside braking and accelerating, her night time reading was low. Although after yet another phone call,being told that 71% of he driving was outside the night time hours, BUT HER SCORE was only 15%. When asked Hasting, stated that they cannot inform me how this is calculated as it is done by underwriters, who load heavily against night driving. Also informed that the scores are like a ripple affect, more miles driven the scores should improve. So why bully drivers from the OFF, So I am now going to contact trading standards and governing body for insurers, as something is seriously wrong!!! Will not be using Hastings again, after this policy."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear to about your daughter's recent poor experience with us. I can tell from your review that it was very frustrating and I hope that positive progress has been made since your review. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us

-Theo
"Whilst it says that this insurance is mainly intended for those who drive during daily hours, by saying that it suggests and says, that if you drive at night, you bring your LOW ScORE back up by good driving during the day. I had a good score for my 52 hours daytime driving but during the 13 days I had the insurance, my 52 minutes night time driving was punished so harshly, I realised that this was in effect a curfew policy in so many words. If you want this policy MAkE SURE YOU WILL NEVER DRIVE AT NIGHT Or YOUR INSURANCE WILL BE CANCELLED"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 weeks ago
"I can't prove it, but I can absolutely confirm that the SmartBox and associated app was falsely or inaccurately reporting my driving style. The app presented a very low score across the board including speed, acceleration even though I know for a fact that I was within the national speed limit and never accelerate fast. I have dash cam of all my drives to prove this. When I reported it to customer services, within a few days the data seemed to be reset as all of a sudden all metrics were green. I don't trust this Smartbox at all. Be aware as your insurance with them could be adjusted or indeed cancelled if your driving style reported by the box does not improve leaving you hundreds of pounds out of pocket (because when they cancel your policy you still need to pay for the Smartbox). Either the boxes being used by Hastings Smartmiles are rubbish or something else is going on here that I cannot explain. Furthermore, a simple google search online confirms that this is a wide spread issue not isolated to a handful of people."
"I would highly recommend Hastings to all young and new driver's."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 4 weeks ago
"The telematics box does not work... I have experience of working with telematics devices fitted to emergency services vehicles so know how the technology (should) works. The device was fitted to my daughters car and a number of times there were spurious readings such as the braking score falling by over 50% overnight 7000miles into the policy, I had cause to query with the company on four occasions, each time the call taker was unable to explain the readings but maintained that they had checked the box remotely and it was working correctly- not one of them could explain to me how the technology of the box worked, on two occasions they point blank refused to accept any appeal against the score because the overall score was still over 60, not once despite promising data by e-mail regarding time and place for the alleged extreme braking events was this forth coming, of interest - each time a particular score (time of day) improved there was a subsequent drop in one of the other scores which resulted in keeping the overall score static, This policy is an absolute scam avoid at all costs. UNLESS YOU LIKE BEING RIPPED OF LIED TO AND BEING TREATED LIKE AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT THAT IS. Shame there is no zero star option, and at that it would be still too good for these jokers"
"Only gave it one star because there was no zero star option. Pay a little more and go elsewhere. Believe the poor reviews for this product. An absolute con, picking on new vulnerable drivers. They interpret the 'smart box' data unrealistically to try and push you to cancel your policy with a charge to them of hundreds of pounds. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! AVOID !"
"The box on the vehicle drains battery because it is active 24/7, even when the engine is not running, meaning the battery can flatten if the car isn't used for more than a couple of days. This is extremely unreliable and inconvenient. Other insurers fit the box to the engine so that it is only active when the engine is running - meaning it doesn't risk flattening the battery. Go with other insurers and save yourself a lot of hassle with bad, counter-intuitive technology."
"Should be an option for zero stars."
"Worst company ever the customer advisers are extremely rude. Each customer assistant says a different thing. My policy got cancelled after TWO warnings (which was my time of day driving) however my policy states three warnings. They cancelled my policy and charged me a £210 cancellation fee. Once again the customer assistants are VERY RUDE."
"They were easy to deal with"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
"Could make it easier to view policy, either via post or email"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
"Would give it zero - but no option for that. Fitted to my daughter’s 12 month old car on the basis that she’d only do 3000 a year as she parks at station to get to uni. After 6 weeks - flat battery. Kia tested battery with and without black box - black box draining battery as it’s a permanent live and she’s not doing enough mikes to recharge battery. Hastings disagree - must be a faulty box, send a new one. 4 weeks later - same problem! Now the advice is “drive it more!” It was a policy limited to 3k! Now it’s flat whenever she wants to drive it and the other option they’ve offered is to cancel the policy and pay for one that has a box fitted by a technician which is linked to the ignition. Unbelievable customer service- and NOT in a good way!"
"Only gave it a star because there was no zero star option. What an absolute con! Sold on the basis you can save money by 'safe' driving. Reality is 11 months in and I've never scored a point on braking. It's been permanently on zero. Explanation... I need to do less stop start driving. I live in a city, what am I supposed to do ignore the lights and rush hour traffic? My onboard computer tells me my average speed is 16 miles/hour. How on earth can my braking score be zero at that speed? Never dealt with a company who are so obnoxious about their product being perfect and the false results being my fault. Tempted to report them for fraud. How can I save money if it refuses to score my braking. Loads of reports of similar issues online. Avoid this product or use it for one year then go elsewhere!"
"Would rate 0 if I could, Bigger scamming company than Ryanair.....enough said in that statement alone"
"You...yes you reading this. If you want to: -Be terrified of ever starting your car up -Have a driver rating score that never increases and only ever falls so Hastings can cancel the policy and charge you further -Never look out of the car window at potential danger as you're fixated on your speed indicator -Be reluctant to brake -Be generally stressed through fear of cancellation Then look no further, Hastings Smart Miles is the policy for you!"
"If I could give a 0 I would. Had the box for just over 6 months now and my driving score has always been on 100 until yesterday! I was out driving yesterday and woke up this morning to my speeding being dropped to 90% I contacted the complaint and they can’t even tell me where and when I was speeding!! Also 10pm for a advisory limit????? Absolutely stupid!"
Hastings Direct Smart Miles is rated 1.60 based on 266 reviews