Hastings Direct Smart Miles Reviews

15% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct Smart Miles

How would you rate Hastings Direct Smart Miles ?

"Do not insure your car with this company. I’m 19 years old and I chose to insure my 1.2 corsa through this company and it’s been hell ever since. I have received countless emails warning me about my driving style and it has to change within 7 days or they will cancel even though my driving is fine but my score never went up. My speed score was always 0 and in the end they looked into it and had to fix something. My direct debits we’re supposed to be £82 a month and within the first month they went up to £166 payments because apparently I didn’t supply the engineer with my ‘proof of no claims’ which I did and told him about so he could take pictures. They send out a letter which I ended up getting the day before they started taking payments of £166 so I cancelled my direct debit with my bank that day so that they couldn’t take that much and got onto the phone to them. I ended up receiving a letter from close brothers finance for a payment of £196 (£30 missed payment fee) and when I spoke to Hastings on the Friday, they said that if I send in the proof of no claims then they would reduce the bill back down to £82 instead of the £196. After getting off the phone to them just now the payment has now gone up to £245 because I’ve cancelled my policy to take out a new one and it “has to be paid” even after being told it would be reduced to £82. Very bad insurance company and POOR customer service. In the end, it’s cost me £540 for 2 months of insurance!!!"
"I have had a policy with Hastings for just over 8 months, I have just been informed my policy is going to be cancelled due to my scoring being too low. However it’s only this low because my score ever since I got the box has been 0 for acceleration and everytime I’ve tried to contact them to discuss how to sort this issue I get the nonsense story that I’m an awful driver and they’re box has no flaws. Quite clearly the box has some issues as every review on here has the same reading considering there accelerometer. The customer service I have received off Hastings has been dreadful numerous unreturned calls and emails which I was guaranteed never been received - if you are a young driver or parent reading this review do not take insurance with them no matter how much cheaper it is. They are a scam. And they are scamming young vulnerable drivers looking for a good price."
"Fairly new to Hastings Smart Miles - can you explain why I have 100 for speed, 100 for braking and a big fat zero for acceleration - makes absolutely no sense. Living in a small town I don't get the opportunity to accelerate at such speeds....surely harsh acceleration would lead to harsh braking??? I had a telematics box last year, with Admiral, which recorded Gold score all year - none of this nonsense - and feel that trying to accommodate the acceleration score is actually making me into a more dangerous driver. If I accelerate any less I'll be rolling backwards!! Sort your system out please - it's not accurate."
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Its really encouraging to see you have a score of 100 for braking, there could be a couple of reasons why your acceleration is so low. Just as an insight, your box picks up G-Force so it would suggest that when you are pulling away you are getting to the speed limit over too short a distance. If you can imagine a cup of water on your dashboard as your braking your not spilling a drop but as you are accelerating you are spilling the water in the cup. We do have a dedicated team who would be more than happy to go through how the box works and give you some really good hints and tips on how to improve. They can be contacted either on 0800 048 2955 or via email at firstresponse@hastingsdirect.com. I hope this helps.

~ Jamie
"Wanted change vehicle most places charge admin fee happy pay that but not £548 they were going charge customer service extremely rude would not recommend"
Hi there,

I am sorry to see that you have had so many issues whilst trying to change your vehicle. There are many factors that we need to look at when quoted, the size of the engine, size of car, alarm systems and desirability amongst other things. I do however apologise for the service you had from our Customer Services team. This is not acceptable. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

~ Jamie
Tracy
"Hastings have just insured my car at a really good price, I had a problem where i wanted extra cover legal costs but didn't want their breakdown cover. The web page wouldn't let me drop the breakdown cover, when I called them they made an adjustment to their website which allowed me to continue without the breakdown cover very helpful. Would recommend them."
"If there was a zero score we would be using that 1 is far too good !!!disgusting we are forwarding all information to watchdog as a matter of urgency ....your boxes are inaccurate and yet you fail to accept this ..."
Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear you've not had the best experience with our telematics box and that it has caused so much frustration. If you need to discuss this and wish to arrange correspondence with our smart miles team please email the policy reference and a contact number to help@hastingsdirect.com. We'll do all we can to arrange some assistance for you

-Theo
"Avoid!!! Absolute joke! They should be ashamed of themselves.. that nasty device to monitor driving is utter rubbish.. We have just cancelled and had to pay £210 for the inaccurate box.. the stress if was causing with it’s monitoring was just too much, if you don’t want your son or daughter to become paranoid of getting in the car when there driving is perfectly fine then do I plead that you don’t use this company!!! I hope people read the reviews and take this as a warning I only wish we had :-("
Hi there, I'm so sorry to see you have had such a negative experience with your SmartMiles box. The purpose of the box is not to make your child paranoid of driving but to monitor it, we do have a dedicated team that just works to help improve scores and give hints and tips to for them to use. The box also gives potential crash alerts so we can call out and make sure your children are safe when out driving. I completely understand your frustrations and wish the best with your new provider. If you do want to disuss this further you can cll our team on 01733 308 380.

- Jamie
"This is the most horrific and nasty device that I have ever come across. And Connor I would much prefer if you didn’t reply to this with your made up nonsense desperately trying to prove some sort of value in something which is quite obviously a failure. Save my sanity please. The box doesn’t work. It is a nasty piece of equipment that does not take reality into account. It’s doesn't consider the place you live, traffic or the necessity of using your brakes in such a way as in to react to what’s going on around you stopping collisions, or the necessity to accelerate at roundabouts. If you actually drove to the standards that the box requires your driving would be less safe, especially when considering the area I live, there is no doubt about it. You naturally have to drive with a little more panache and energy than if you lived the countryside otherwise you would be such a worried driver that it would make matters worse when considering how everyone drives around you. Anyway despite that. I made a real conscious effort over the warning week to drive a lot better. I was one point under the minimum of 40, I made an 8 point increase. I have no idea how I still scored so little as I was driving very carefully. I explained to the person on the phone that there should be a probation period whereby if you’re making obvious progress and you’re genuinely trying to improve you should be then given more advice to then improve for the week after instead of loosing £500 and your insurance being cancelled just like that. Furthermore, how am I supposed to know how much my driving has improved/ what points I have gained if I have not been told? It is unquantifiable as I have no information about how much my driving has improved according to the black box. If I knew it had only improved by a little i would have naturally been able to calculate what I needed to do to improve further. Instead my insurances was just cancelled throug email. She didn’t seem to understand what I meant. Must have been trained to say “there must be a cut off point” without being given the ability to consider what the caller is actually saying. Now this is disgusting, unfair and deceitful. It’s a company that should be closed down for this and quite frankly should go to court over this. I can only do what I can towards this and that is to write letters to who I can to make this happen. This is what I will do week in week out if necessary. Please steer clear form this! It is not a reliable or intelligent enough piece of equipment to give a realistic account of how good your driving is and you will lose money from not doing anything wrong."
Hello there, thank you for leaving such a detailed and frank review. Firstly may I apologise that we have had to cancel your policy as I can imagine how much of an inconvenience this must be for you. I would like to clear up a couple of points though. We would never cancel a policy without contacting you and giving you an opportunity to improve your driving score, we would have emailed you to advise your driving score was under 40 out of 100 and gave you 200 miles to improve. We also understand that this sometimes is a tough fix so if your score hasn’t improved in that time frame we email you to give you another 7 days to improve.

In regards to the driving itself, your scores are generated over an average journey so individual moments of hard braking to avoid accidents are not taken in to consideration, this is the same for acceleration as well. The box updates every 70 miles to give you an idea of what areas are improving and which are not. We also have a dedicated team that try and help you through the whole process.

We would be more than happy to speak to you about any issues that have arisen from this on 01733 308 380

I'm so sorry that your policy has been cancelled and wish the best for the future.

- Jamie
"The system does not work and Hastings Direct are selling a product that is not fit for its purpose. Hastings Direct have made no statements on this site to show that the system works as they can't it's just flawed technology they use and just simply avoid the issue. The system could never work and customers are being mislead by Hastings Direct the technology being used is not capable of what it claims it can do, this will lead to young drivers effectively being ripped off by Hastings Direct and the evidence of this can be seen all over the internet."
Hello there,

I'm sorry that you feel the box data is incorrect, if the review is regarding your driving behaviour score, we do have a dedicated team that can go through individual journey that you have made and show you ways to improve certain elements of your driving. They can also explain how the box generates the data through G-Force ect. You can contact them on either 0800 048 2955 or via email at firstresponse@hastingsdirect.com. I hope this helps.

- Jamie
"As a low mileage user the system is biased against me especially the curfew."
Hello there,

Thank you for your review, even as a low mileage user you still have a great opportunity to obtain a high driving score, the time of day score may affect your overall score but as long as you stick to the speed limits, brake nice and early (and smoothly) and the same with your acceleration your score should still be OK.

- Jamie
"The app is dreadful. Keeps going back to the sign in page."
Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to see that you have had issues with the app, hopefully this has all been rectified! If you do have any further issues with it you can contact 01733 308 380. Hope this helps.

-Jamie
"Following on from what everyone else has already said, i do not recommend smartmiles! I have been with smartmiles from the day I passed, which was only 4 months ago, and already my score is at 37 and been told my policy is going to be cancelled if my behavior does not improve? I do not speed, I do not drive fast enough to have to break hard, I don't accelerate much simply because I don't have to as my car basically drives itself and maybe 3/4 days out of 7 my car is home at 11 O'clock instead of 10 and my time of day is at zero? okay! so how can I fix this? not drive too much for a few days? oh wait, you have to A LOT drive for your score to increase apparently! well, so I've been told! My score has never increased, even though i'm nearly 100% sure that I am the most careful driver out there! Honestly wish, i had read the reviews before i took this policy!"
Hi, I am sorry to hear you are having a poor experience. It is important to increase the amount you drive to improve your score as the more miles safely driven achieved, the more the instances where we have recorded events that will negatively impact your score will be balanced out. In terms of time of day, consistently going outside of the 10pm-5am parameters will have a negative affect on your score. This is because data has shown us that you are much more likely to be involved in an accident at night compared to the day. As your score has dropped below 40 you should have been contacted by our team to provide some coaching on how to improve your score, but if this has not occurred please contact us on help@hastingsdirect.com with your policy number.

~Connor
"Absolutely disgusted with my service at Hastings Smartmiles. My policy was originally £471, then to change address it went up £230! Then I noticed from the previous year they had not updated my car purchase date correctly, which I remember changing back in Nov. They insisted it was my fault. So now they wanted another £180 (including admin fee) so I rang to dispute and a lady said she'd look into it and see whether they could sort it out. I never got an email from her, just an urgent email requiring me to pay the £180. So I cancelled. They then had the nerve to try and only refund me only £464 out of £700 for just under a month's insurance. They added a £88 commission fee undisclosed to me. They worked out my refund wrong and added an administration fee on wrong. Anyone see anything wrong here? This company have managed to squeeze as much money out of me as possible over these last 2 years. The funny thing is, if I put my new details (new address and purchase date of car) in for a new quote, Smartmiles were quoting £185 less anyway. All I did was ask them to match it and this is the trouble I get."
Hi Megan, I am sorry to see you have had a poor experience. When a change is made to a policy, we do need to recalculate your premiums as you may fall into a different risk criteria. In terms of the charges you have incurred, we do try to communicate clearly at the start of the policy that the telematics fee is non-refundable, so I apologise if you feel this was not presented clearly.

~Connor
"Misadvised for insurance and decided a claim was fault when my stationary car was hit by a guy driving a stolen vehicle! Would not recommend them for new drivers."
I am sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with the claims process. You can have the matter investigated by the team by using the e-mail form on the link below.

~Connor
"Cancelled my son's policy after a few weeks because he was using his car at night which was discouraged. This condition was not highlighted in the policy when he applied but buried in small print. Then charged for the black box, usage and cancellation fee even though he was forced to cancel because he was told that if he did not no other company would insure him. For people who use their car at night this is a con. Avoid this company and its policies."
I am sorry to hear that this was not communicated clearly at the point of sale. Time of day is an important factor we rate on as statistics show you are twice as likely to be in an accident at night rather than the day. I will ensure your feedback is passed onto the team.

Disgruntled Doctor
Unverified Reviewer
"The telematics device records acceleration at every roundabout as excessive. Given that the only way to safely get onto the A27 is quickly this seems ridiculously punitive. Sleeping policemen also appear to record as excess acceleration and deceleration. As our acceleration score never left zero for the whole year in a Hyundai i10 998cc, I wonder what a car that can reach 70 miles an hour in less than 2 minutes would score? Minus 100? We got the almost standard threatening phone call after a couple of weeks and at the end of the year have now not been offered another years insurance, though I had no intention of staying anyway. Smartmiles telematics box clearly does not include any intelligent technology, nor is there any use of AI to properly interpret the results or application of a real meat brain when contacting their technical department to find out why the acceleration score has always been zero. Finally just to mention. All of this hassle for a car worth less than £5k and which only traveled 5361 miles over the year."
I am sorry to hear you were dissatisfied in your year with SmartMiles and I will ensure your comments are fed back to the team for improvement. We also do have a wide range of other products on sale on our website and comparisons sites you may want to explore.

"Good price and cover"
"Having taken out insurance with Hastings direct Smart Miles, they told me to cancel my policy and gave me 5 days notice. I am an 18 year old, and this was my first experience dealing with an insurance company. They sent me a smart miles box to fit which I did and I got my mechanic to fit it otherwise they would have charged me to fit it. The box recorded my scores and some of the scores remained the same throughout, and told me that I was not improving. I then phoned and queried my scores and how I could improve, I contacted them. Very nice lady gave me feedback, however when I got feed back the next time the scores were the same, I know I have improved, but the scores always remain the same, with very little movement. Then they sent me an email telling me that they were going to cancel my policy if I did not improve, I never received an email. Finally, I got another email saying that my policy would be cancelled within 7 days. I phoned up and told them their telematics box was not accurate, how could my scores always be virtually the same???? They told me my policy was going to be cancelled and they would not reinstate it, and that I would have to cancel it myself otherwise I would not get insurance from another company. Also I had to pay for the phone call and spent 1 hour and a half arguing with them on the phone and my Mum also complained and said it seemed the telematics box was not accurate and asked them to guarantee the accuracy of their box, which of course they cannot do. No one can!!! My Mum asked for the statistics from the box to be sent to her, and they wanted £10 for the data, having said it was all available, but at a price of course!!! They now want me to cancel my insurance, telling me that if they cancel it, I will not get insurance anywhere else. Obviously they want me to spent another hour on the phone waiting to cancel it. They also will deduct £210 from my balance for the use of the telematics box which has been used for only 3 months and £45 cancellation fee!. This company is a rip off company, all they want is to cripple young people with debt by taking their money off them and providing an awful, awful service. It is pure exploitation of the young, quite intimidating as well an would never instill confidence in young drivers. They are so discouraging and they only want your money and to rip you off. Do not under any circumstances use them. They will cancel your insurance in 3 months and charge for their inaccurate telematics box and administration and expect you to do all the running. Very, very bad experience as a first time driver in using an insurance company. DO NOT USE, DO NOT USE, BE CAREFUL"
I am very sorry to hear you had a poor experience with our SmartMiles product. If you would like the team to investigate, you can log a complaint using the e-mail form on the link below.

Mr N Dinnage
"Excellent customer service, would highly recommend"
"Box was easy to install and the app is easy to use. It's good to monitor your driving as you can then take action if there are any errors."
Hello James,

It's good to hear that it's proving to be helpful regarding your driving. Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review with us and for choosing Hastings Smartmiles as your insurer

-Theo