Halifax Insurance Reviews

81% of reviewers recommend Halifax Insurance

How would you rate Halifax Insurance?

178 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Halifax Insurance in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"Wished I'd never had insurance with them absolutely terrible service, my sofa got damaged 9 weeks ago, arranged to get it repaired, they want to do it in my living room, using it as a work shop, it will take 4 hours to strip then they take the leather away, bring it back 8 weeks later then another 4 hours to put it back, all at my inconvenience. They can't be sure if they can match the leather, so what happens if it doesn't match. Not happy they take your money quick enough, taking excess on same day you make a claim and 9 weeks later is it fixed NO. !"
Millan Rajasooriar
Unverified Reviewer
"Had an unfortunate issues of a kitchen cupboard coming down and smashing everything we received in 2016 from our Wedding. After sending photos of the smashed items both when the incident happened and in the plastic boxes after clear up the agent asked me to "go into the box of glass" to take detailed photos of the broken branded items. I had by this point provided a detailed list of everything that had been in the cupboard and that was damaged. To ask a customer to risk their own safety by rummaging in a box of broken glass is both totally unprofessional and from a social concious just unacceptable."
Natalia Abramova
Verified Reviewer
"Very bad service, I'll never take on this insurance again! Terrible"
"Have paid an extortionate amount for home insurance with Halifax for many years. The first time I needed to use it was 16 January 2018 when I had a break in, and the service I have been provided with has been poor and shoddy from start to finish. Insurance are supposed to support you, not further add to your headaches and distress. I was allocated building services from VPS following the break in. The break in happened on Monday 14 January, and the property was left vulnerable for 11 days, depriving the police the opportunity of completing forsensics in my garden. When the fitter eventually arrived, he was rude and unprofessional and failed to bring adequate materials with him. He "fixed" the door in a extremely poor and shoddy way using a £3 wood filler which I could have bought on ebay, not even matching the colour so that anyone would know that the door had been damaged. To make matters worse, he also broke an existing bolt on the door, whilst trying to prove that it still worked, so arguably left the door in a worse position than it was. I have no idea what I paid the £100 excess for, after such an extortionate spend on home insurance where they could not do something simple like replace a door. Even an employee at VPS said that she would not have been happy with that sort of work done on her home, and a subsequent builder commented that they cannot have spent more than 5 minutes doing what they did do. The VPS "professional" could not even state whether his £3 wood filler was waterproof, and also stated that his work could not be guaranteed, and the rain may have already damaged this wooden door, because of their own 11 day delay Another "professional" came to analyse the situation who was rude, incompetent and came with the attitude of trying to cover the poor workmanship. I was a woman alone in my own home and found his attitude terrifying and he came with another man and started opening my cupboards without permission to find out where I kept my outdoor keys, and insisted on coming at a time which suited him, when the home owner wasn't at home and I was on my own. I would never want anyone from VPS or Halifax entering my home again after that horrific experience. My door had been perfect before the break in, and this incompetent idiot just made it worse and refused to replace it. and, and he left the door in a worse condition by breaking the bolts. To add insult to injury, he then asked my Mum, a vulnerable woman in her 60s, to sign a document stating that the job was complete to her satisfaction whilst obscuring the terms and conditions so that she couldn't read that bit. She is not that stupid and obviously refused to sign. Never dreamed that Halifax and VPS would provide such a shoddy service, leaving a broken door, damaging it further and to top it off, trying to take advantaged of a widowed and retired woman They should be ashamed of themselves and have a good think about the lack of service provided. At the very least I should have my £100 excess refunded this was incompetent from start to finish.I have paid for this "service" for 10 years and it has been a total waste of money. You should have no customers based on this kind of attitude. Someone purported to try and resolve this for me, but made no difference and actually never returned my calls or refunded the access. Insurance being cancelled and never to be reinstated. I have been paying nearly £75 per month for absolutely nothing. This is a rude, shoddy incompetent service that you should never use if you value your safety or want to actually work with professionals. Avoid at all costs if you actually value your safety and professionalism."
"Never ever get an insurance with halifax. All I wanted to do was cancel my policy and i had to pay 355. I wanted to cancel it cuz after 1 year of beeing with the company i had premium increased to 187 pounds per month even tho i had no claims or accident or anything. Company is absolutely pathetic and they will rip you off whenever they can. Would not reccoment it to anyone ever. Thiefs!!!"
"Claim for storm damage to my property was rejected out of hand stating the wall must have had an inherent weakness that I was unaware of, so was not brought down by the storm but by the weakness. All I know as that before the storm the wall was standing and solid and during the extremely high winds it came down, apparently that was just a coincidence?!?! Don't touch this firm with a bargepole."
"My home was broke into and everything smashed i.e. Windows, doors, tv's, bathroom, bedroom furniture, etc, when the insurance was contacted I was told that since I could not stay in the house my accomation would be paid for. I did get some money from insurance I lost everything, but nine thousand was totally rubbish, I got nothing for my temp accomadation, nothing for clothes,nothing for small items I lost i.e. Kettle and other small goods pictures etc, I lost everything and got just vey little considering I had been paying insurance to the Halifax for a lot of years, my advice go elsewhere"
"I got a quote on the website, went back a few days later and it kept freezing and "encountered a problem". It deleted my previous price so now that isn't available either. I decided to call them, I was on hold for 30 minutes. Absolutely useless DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME."
Gloria, Cheadle, Staffordshire.
Unverified Reviewer
"Today rang to say that I was not renewing my policy. The process was quick with no queues and easy and the advisor called Rachel was extremely pleasant, and process quick and systematic. I came off the phone shocked. This is the best service ever - without the hard sell or anything. I will definitely go with them again - even if I have to pay more. Just received text confirming as I type. Really happy. Well done Halifax Car Insurance. P.S. I bank with Halifax and had thought of changing for rewards there but now......."
"I exchanged my foreign licence for a UK licence and when I called to update my details they wouldn't consider my 12 years driving experience and no claims bonus and my policy was going to triple in price (as the computer thought I was a "new" driver). I cancelled immediately and found another insurer who took my situation into consideration."
"Was recently involved in a car accident that wasn't my fault. Made a personal injury claim through the firm Halifax uses called Minster Law. Must say that dealing with the Halifax and Minster Law has been so awful, from rude customer service to just being unhelpful. Read the reviews for Minster law-terrible firm! Have given the Halifax a go but will never be using them again!"
Mr Alan Christensen
Unverified Reviewer
"treated like a criminal by assessor after being told that claim had been agreed then canceled."
"We were stupid enough to stop our house from flooding and then tried to make a claim to fix the leak , they told us because we stopped the water we were not covered for the repair. Cheep insurance is only any good if you never have to claim, this is after being with them for 3 years without any other claim."
"It appears as Halifax do not want to insure people in flood risk areas and are trying to price them off their books. I have insured with Halifax for the last 9 years without a single claim. However, over the last 3 years they have put up my premium by 20%, 30% and now 22%. My house is elevated and designed to withstand the maximum predicted flood levels from the river Thames but Halifax take no account of this in setting their premiums. In 2013 there were the worst floods in living memory and my house was unaffected and I did not need to make any claim but they just seem to ignore this fact. It would seem Halifax apply very little science to how they arrive at their premiums. Really poor service."
Rebecca Smith
"The customer service advisor in the Leeds halifax branch was very helpful in helping me with my queries."
Deborah Mcgann
"purchasing my mortgage as been so simple. no hassle and no headaches. very pleased"
"All companies discriminate against me because of my elderly years but to quote for my car at almost 5 times what I pay now is total extortion. Total waste of time getting the quote."
Darragh 'gittens' Fagan
Unverified Reviewer
"These men were ideal. They were not gittens but men they were not the ideal men taste sham"
"Extremely poor customer service passed from one department to another with no-one addressing my problem. Would never insure with them again"
"We had a non-fault accident and our car is STILL sat on the side of the road 4 days on waiting for someone to arrange collection. As someone else mentioned, because of the underwriting process, we have been passed to several different companies and seem to be sorting everything ourselves rather than Halifax doing anything."
Halifax Insurance is rated 4.10 based on 178 reviews