Halifax Insurance Reviews

77% of reviewers recommend Halifax Insurance

How would you rate Halifax Insurance ?

"Whatever you do don’t go near Halifax buildings and contents insurance. I made my first claim this morning ever. I was flooded out by my neighbour upstairs due to a blocked down pipe, the water went up into his partially blocked sink and came down into my bedroom. I had to phone the fire brigade to gain access to his flat-because he was on holiday. My bedroom, ceiling, carpets and lighting were soaked. I had no electricity all weekend. Because I had never made a claim I had a clause in my insurance which included any excess would be waivered amongst others “flood”. I was informed that I would be liable for £500 excess as I didn't have a flood it was an “escape of water”Also to top it off my premium would go up next year. I think this is one for RIp off Britain. 32 years I have been with Halifax buildings and Contents They pretend to reward you for not claiming then play with words so that you end up the loser. Tell me what is the difference between a flood and an escape of water. My bedroom was flooded out from upstairs. My ceiling might be ready to fall down and Halifax never even offered to send someone out to inspect it when I asked. I was told to source my own tradesman. A case of they take your premium over a 32year period and when push comes to shove they punish you financially Be very careful when you take out Halifax Building and contents it’s not what it seems. I am retired and can not afford extra expense"
"Took out car insurance with this company ....absolutely disgusting customer service and one to definitely avoid .... had an accident where 3rd party hit me on wrong side of road. The underwriters ageas informed me the third party had admitted liability. Halifax unprofessional unable to process information and now claiming I'm due to pay excess and lose my no claims when other party have clearly admitted liability. If you want an insurance company to look after you in a car accident this IS NOT the one ....avoid this company at all costs ."
"Wast of time. Told them we had a leak under floor in utility room. Big mistake. Now they won’t fix it. Cause they wanted to find it!!!!!! Don’t waste your money on this insurance policy....."
"Called monday morning after having my car stolen with my house keys in, had my locks changed by 5pm same day. Cant complain."
LORRAINE GATES
Unverified Reviewer
"The Home Emergency Policy. The company that does the repairs in incompetent, (HOME SERVICE PLUS 01252313550) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE THIS SERVICE!!!!! I HAVE BEEN LIED TO, AND EXPECTED TO STAY IN ON 3 DAYS FOR THE ENTIRE DAY, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT SEEM CAPABLE OF ORGANISING A MORNING OR AFTERNOON APPOINTMENT!!!"
"I called Halifax to cancel my policy on the renewal date. I was assured that the policy had been cancelled yet 5 days later the full annual premium was deducted from my account. After calling to complain I was assured that a refund would be made ‘within 14 days’. I wasn’t happy with this and requested for someone from Complaints Deprtment Management to call me back to discuss the situation. This call has still not been received. I don’t understand how a supposedly professional company can operate in this way - especially when such a large amount of money is taken from my account without authorisation. I would therefore strongly recommend that readers of this review be aware of my experience of this company and be careful about using them for insurance purposes."
"The cost of swapping my insurance over to my new car for the remaining 6 months of my policy was quoted at £280 which is almost as much as I paid upfront for the entire 12 months (approx £320). To cancel the policy a fee of £55 was applied, a high premium for very little work. Despite asking for an explanation a number of times, a clear answer could not be provided. £280 to swap over or £55 to cancel = screwed over either way."
"Halifax Emergency insurance will not fix the leak from a pipe above our dining room as they don't know where it is leaking from. Finding the leak is nothing to do with the Emergency insurance cover, it is up to the Home Insurance to find the leak. Home Insurance says that it nothing to do with them and it is for the Emergency Insurance to find and fix the leak. Bounced from one to another. and finally got the instruction that if I wanted the leak fixed, then I should get my to get my own plumber. So much for having insurance with Halifax."
"Your customer service ethos is none existent and you use any and all options available to you in order to minimise any claim value irrespective of the moral or ethical intricacies of the case. I will never use your businesses again in any way, shape or form."
"I bought a 2015 VW Cabriolet at the beginning of April 2018. I have been driving for 37 years with no accidents or ever claiming on any insurance. I sent them the necessary no claims. Unknown to me they didn't accept it, but didn't notify me and just simply decided to cancel my policy. I was driving my car with no insurance and it was Easter weekend. I only realised as I had been out all weekend, when I checked my emails on the bank holiday Monday. I was absolutely horrified. There was excuse after excuse. I would never recommend this company to anyone!!"
Michelle Smith
Unverified Reviewer
"Do everything they can to avoid paying out!!! Rude, unhelpful and a waste of money"
"First claim with Halifax after being with them 20 years and first thing they do is haggle - poor item replacement option........offering a £650 replacement for something I paid £900 for only 2 years previous. I'd always used Halifax even though they weren't the cheapest but thought be better being with a so called reputal Company. Had to take the offer but immediately cancelled the insurance - Never Again AVOID in my opinion."
"Wished I'd never had insurance with them absolutely terrible service, my sofa got damaged 9 weeks ago, arranged to get it repaired, they want to do it in my living room, using it as a work shop, it will take 4 hours to strip then they take the leather away, bring it back 8 weeks later then another 4 hours to put it back, all at my inconvenience. They can't be sure if they can match the leather, so what happens if it doesn't match. Not happy they take your money quick enough, taking excess on same day you make a claim and 9 weeks later is it fixed NO. !"
Millan Rajasooriar
Unverified Reviewer
"Had an unfortunate issues of a kitchen cupboard coming down and smashing everything we received in 2016 from our Wedding. After sending photos of the smashed items both when the incident happened and in the plastic boxes after clear up the agent asked me to "go into the box of glass" to take detailed photos of the broken branded items. I had by this point provided a detailed list of everything that had been in the cupboard and that was damaged. To ask a customer to risk their own safety by rummaging in a box of broken glass is both totally unprofessional and from a social concious just unacceptable."
Natalia Abramova
Verified Reviewer
"Very bad service, I'll never take on this insurance again! Terrible"
"Have paid an extortionate amount for home insurance with Halifax for many years. The first time I needed to use it was 16 January 2018 when I had a break in, and the service I have been provided with has been poor and shoddy from start to finish. Insurance are supposed to support you, not further add to your headaches and distress. I was allocated building services from VPS following the break in. The break in happened on Monday 14 January, and the property was left vulnerable for 11 days, depriving the police the opportunity of completing forsensics in my garden. When the fitter eventually arrived, he was rude and unprofessional and failed to bring adequate materials with him. He "fixed" the door in a extremely poor and shoddy way using a £3 wood filler which I could have bought on ebay, not even matching the colour so that anyone would know that the door had been damaged. To make matters worse, he also broke an existing bolt on the door, whilst trying to prove that it still worked, so arguably left the door in a worse position than it was. I have no idea what I paid the £100 excess for, after such an extortionate spend on home insurance where they could not do something simple like replace a door. Even an employee at VPS said that she would not have been happy with that sort of work done on her home, and a subsequent builder commented that they cannot have spent more than 5 minutes doing what they did do. The VPS "professional" could not even state whether his £3 wood filler was waterproof, and also stated that his work could not be guaranteed, and the rain may have already damaged this wooden door, because of their own 11 day delay Another "professional" came to analyse the situation who was rude, incompetent and came with the attitude of trying to cover the poor workmanship. I was a woman alone in my own home and found his attitude terrifying and he came with another man and started opening my cupboards without permission to find out where I kept my outdoor keys, and insisted on coming at a time which suited him, when the home owner wasn't at home and I was on my own. I would never want anyone from VPS or Halifax entering my home again after that horrific experience. My door had been perfect before the break in, and this incompetent idiot just made it worse and refused to replace it. and, and he left the door in a worse condition by breaking the bolts. To add insult to injury, he then asked my Mum, a vulnerable woman in her 60s, to sign a document stating that the job was complete to her satisfaction whilst obscuring the terms and conditions so that she couldn't read that bit. She is not that stupid and obviously refused to sign. Never dreamed that Halifax and VPS would provide such a shoddy service, leaving a broken door, damaging it further and to top it off, trying to take advantaged of a widowed and retired woman They should be ashamed of themselves and have a good think about the lack of service provided. At the very least I should have my £100 excess refunded this was incompetent from start to finish.I have paid for this "service" for 10 years and it has been a total waste of money. You should have no customers based on this kind of attitude. Someone purported to try and resolve this for me, but made no difference and actually never returned my calls or refunded the access. Insurance being cancelled and never to be reinstated. I have been paying nearly £75 per month for absolutely nothing. This is a rude, shoddy incompetent service that you should never use if you value your safety or want to actually work with professionals. Avoid at all costs if you actually value your safety and professionalism."
"Never ever get an insurance with halifax. All I wanted to do was cancel my policy and i had to pay 355. I wanted to cancel it cuz after 1 year of beeing with the company i had premium increased to 187 pounds per month even tho i had no claims or accident or anything. Company is absolutely pathetic and they will rip you off whenever they can. Would not reccoment it to anyone ever. Thiefs!!!"
"Claim for storm damage to my property was rejected out of hand stating the wall must have had an inherent weakness that I was unaware of, so was not brought down by the storm but by the weakness. All I know as that before the storm the wall was standing and solid and during the extremely high winds it came down, apparently that was just a coincidence?!?! Don't touch this firm with a bargepole."
"My home was broke into and everything smashed i.e. Windows, doors, tv's, bathroom, bedroom furniture, etc, when the insurance was contacted I was told that since I could not stay in the house my accomation would be paid for. I did get some money from insurance I lost everything, but nine thousand was totally rubbish, I got nothing for my temp accomadation, nothing for clothes,nothing for small items I lost i.e. Kettle and other small goods pictures etc, I lost everything and got just vey little considering I had been paying insurance to the Halifax for a lot of years, my advice go elsewhere"
"I got a quote on the website, went back a few days later and it kept freezing and "encountered a problem". It deleted my previous price so now that isn't available either. I decided to call them, I was on hold for 30 minutes. Absolutely useless DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME."
Halifax Insurance is rated 3.93 based on 189 reviews