Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

It all started back in 1927 when William Long had the fabulous idea of opening a luxury chocolate shop in the picturesque town of Keswick, in the heart of the Lake District. He probably never dreamed it would still be in the same family nearly 100 years later.

In those early days the shop only opened during the summer months and it is believed William chose to winter in the Madeira sunshine. As you would expect the business has evolved in many ways since then, however certain principles remain since those early days.

Innovation – We were the first to make a prosecco truffle and then shortly after we followed with our fabulous gin truffle. More recently; although Easter eggs are synonymous with Easter, we decided to move away from the main stream and invented our famous hot cross bun truffle.

But all this only scratches the surface; we are also one of the first chocolate makers to start transitioning to 100% biodegrade packaging, among other things.

Quality – Any new chocolate must meet certain requirements to get past our strict tasting panel. If one of the panel gives a score below 9/10 then we simply won’t offer the chocolate to our customers.

Longevity – We are immensely proud of our historic routes and in this fast moving, ever changing world, we take pride in our tradition and heritage. Our rose and violet creams are the same ones that William sold on that first day of opening, back in 1927. We have survived and prospered over the last 90 years and with the launch of our Ambleside store and an online service, we fully intend to be around for the next 100 years.

After all life is too short, so why settle for ordinary chocolate?

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 7th April 2021
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 30th March 2021
VICTORIA TOMLINSON
Great chocolates, overpriced though
Hello,
We're sorry that you found our products to be overpriced. We aim to keep our costs at a reasonable level and remain competitive with other retailers in the market. We will, however, pass on your feedback to the team for future reference and we hope that you enjoy the products you ordered from us.
Friars Customer Service
I really wanted a dark chocolate coffee collection as the one that I have received was overly sweet and and size of the chocolate are way too big for one portion. The white chocolate in addition with the sickly sweet, thick coffee fillings brings it over the top and burns my throat. The only chocolate I enjoyed was the dark chocolate with coffee mousse inside as it's the perfect balance of sweet and bitter. I would definitely bag of only that chocolate.
Hello,
I'm sorry that the chocolates in our coffee collection weren't to your taste. This is one of our most popular chocolate boxes and the majority of our customers enjoy the variety of chocolates included in this selection. Your feedback will, however, be passed on to the design team.
Friars Customer Service
Product was well presented, a little on the pricey side
The chocolates are great, but for the price you pay the packaging is very lacklustre. It looks cheap, particularly the shallow white boxes that are used for the selections of 24 chocolates. The size of every box I have ordered thus far is significantly smaller than expected, and as most (if not all) product pages seem to neglect including measurements - this makes shopping with Friars a bit of a gamble.

I also found that the Noel chocolate box I ordered was described as having a Christmas ornament on the front that could be removed, yet it was very difficult to separate from the packaging, and once free, was covered in large, thick splodges of glue that ruined any appeal it might have as an ornament. It also failed to include any means of identifying the flavours of the chocolates, so that too was a gamble, which was disappointing as a different box of 24 chocolates provided pictures and descriptions of them all.

All in all, I feel I’d prefer to shop at more well-known brands so that I can guarantee consistent quality and feel as though I know exactly what will arrive at my door.

Thank you for your time! :)
Hello,

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding the packaging of our chocolates. We do provide the dimensions of certain products but clearly this would be useful across all lines and we will look into implementing this. With regard to the Noel chocolate box, this should have had a menu included in the box and I apologise that this was not the case. We will also take into consideration the way in which we attach the decoration when designing next years boxes. Thanks again.

Friars Customer Service
I ordered the assorted brazil nuts in a jar. There were supposed to be milk, dark, and white chocolate coated nuts in the jar. Unfortunately most of them were white chocolate coated, there were some dark and only a few milk chocolate coated nuts, totally opposite of the picture on the website. There was an option to add a gift card with a message on it. It's a joke. There was no option to enter your message in more lines so I thought it was going to be edited before printing. But it was just printed in one line, addressing, message and closing. Don't waste your money on it, you're better off buying your own gift tag and write your message yourself. As it was a gift I don't know the quality if the product.
Hello Krisztina,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with the way in which the gift message was printed, unfortunately it is not possible to check and edit the gift messages before printing. We will bring the fact that you can only enter the message in one line to the attention of our web developers.

Friars Customer Service
The presentation and delivery was fine. What let Friars down was the spelling mistakes on 2 out of 3 personalized gift cards which had spelling mistakes. More care needs to be taken.
Hello,

I am sorry that 2 out of the 3 gift cards had spelling mistakes, unfortunately the messages are printed automatically and so cannot be checked by ourselves before printing.

I think there expensive 4.50 for 6 chocolates and then pksage on top of thar
Hello Joseph,
I'm sorry that you find our chocolates to be too expensive. We try to keep our prices competitive but I will pass on your comments to the team.
Friars Customer Service
Wasnt too impressed with the taste, great presentation, postage and packaging though.
Can't say what it tastes like as it is a Christmas gift
Chocolate arrived and the packaging was not great . Box was all squashed
Hello,
I'm sorry that the box your order was packaged inside was damaged on arrival. We try our best to ensure our products are packed adequately to ensure the products inside are well protected as we have no control over how our parcels are handled once they leave us for delivery.
Friars Customer Service
The quality of the chocolate was pretty good, but the addition of the prosecco and champagne flavours kind of ruined it for me! A hazelnut praline would be great, or salted caramel, rum and raisin; I kind of expected to see these in a truffle advent calendar - not a jellied ginger or any fondant chocolates. I think it’d be great if we could choose the contents.
Hello,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the Advent calendar you purchased from us and the chocolates weren't to your liking.
I will pass on your feedback to the design team but unfortunately, it is unlikely that an option to select the the contents would be possible.
Friars Customer Service
Purchase is for a Xmas present so haven't tried the actual sweets. Delivery was prompt and it was well packed, I was quite disappointed at how small it was and therefore I think it was quite expensive so I would not buy again.
Hello Vanda,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed by the price of the product you ordered from us. We try to ensure that our customers are fully aware of what they are purchasing by listing the weights and/or quantities of the product supplied on our website listings.
Friars Customer Service
Advertised as fruit jellies with fruit juice. It was more like fruit jellies with fruit mush
Hello Alison,
I'm sorry that the New Berry fruit jewels weren't to your liking. The original New Berry fruits have been discontinued and the fruit jewels are in place of them. They are a softer texture to the originals and no longer contain the liquid centre.
Friars Customer Service
unable to post a review as this was purchased as a gift for someone else - sorry
Pleased over all with product except PlayStation controls cracked .just one of them .
Hello Christine,
I'm sorry that one of your items was broken on arrival. I will ensure that a replacement is sent out today and pass on your feedback to the packing team to make them aware of the issue you have highlighted.
Friars Customer Service
Very dissapointed at the size of the bars of chocolate one bar was snapped inside not happy really the post man posted it through the door
Hello Lynne,
I'm sorry that one of your items was broken on arrival. I will send out a replacement bar for you today on a first class service and pass on your feedback to the packing team to make them aware of the issue you have highlighted.
Friars Customer Service
Fast delivery but the product is over priced.
Hello Kelly,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the price of the product you ordered from us. We include the weight and number of jars on our website listing but if you wish to return the item to us for a refund, you can do so.
Friars Customer Service
I received my order of chocolate daffodils very quickly which was great and they were all packaged well, however, quite a few of them had little bits of chocolate that had chipped off so they weren't in perfect condition which was a shame.
Hello Laura,
I'm sorry that your order didn't arrive in the condition we would expect it to and we always like to know of any damages during the delivery process.
Please contact us directly to let us know how many of the items were damaged and we will replace them for you.
Friars Customer Service
Disappointed at the quantity for the price, esp as it’s a gift for my husbands Christmas, taking advantage of buying a treat for a diabetic.
Hello Linda,
I'm sorry you were disappointed with the chocolates you purchased from us. We try to provide our customers with a clear insight into our products by including full details of the weights and quantities in our website listings. I will, however pass on your feedback to the website team.
Friars Customer Service
Ordered 24 violet creams (my sisters favourites) received mixed box of violet and rose creams. Let’s hope she likes the rose creams too. Shame as the order came quickly and well packed.
Hello Audrey,
I'm sorry that you were sent the wrong item after you placed an order with us and for the disappointment caused by this error.
I will resend the correct item for you today via first class post along with a prepaid returns label for you to return the incorrect item at your convenience.
Please accept our apologies for the disappointment caused by this error and I will pass on your feedback to the packing team to ensure this mistake doesn't happen again.
Friars.co.uk is rated 4.81 based on 8,776 reviews