Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
customer service
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

Friars is a family business specialising in luxury chocolate and unique gifts. Since 1927 the business has evolved from a gift shop/cafe to a specialist chocolate and gift store.

Our online business was launched in 2010 and more recently we have opened a second ‘Ye Olde Friars’ high street store in Ambleside to support our flagship store in Keswick.

Our gifts are designed in house so you will not find them anywhere else. We want to make it easy for you to be original, so you can give gifts that taste and look amazing and will be remembered.

We love new products (perhaps because we get bored easily!), so every Valentines, Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas we launch a new range. It certainly keeps us entertained and hopefully our customers interested.

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
Terribly overpriced! Absolute rip off, just because they are sugar free. Disgraceful exploitation!
Hello Michael,

I am sorry that you were not happy with the price of the chocolates you purchased. We do state the weight and quantity of chocolates on the website listing to ensure customers know what they are going to receive. Unfortunately the no added sugar chocolates do tend to be more expensive due to the process required to make them. You can return the order for a refund if you wish, the return address will be listed on your invoice.

Regards,
Friars Customer Service.
My chocolates arrived and they had obviously been left somewhere warm as they had part melted A real disappointment In the past everything I have purchased has been perfect
Hello Tony,

I am sorry that the chocolates arrived melted, this must have happened during transit as we do not have any direct heat sources anywhere near where the chocolate is stored. If you could please contact us directly we will resolve this issue for you.

Regards,
Friars Customer Service.
I have not recv my order yet S.cranfield
Hello,
I have looked into your order and can see that a delivery attempt was made 2 days after your order was dispatched but there was no answer at the time. Your parcel is currently showing as being prepared for redelivery following a response to the red card that was left at the delivery address by Royal Mail.
Friars Customer Service
Extremely disappointed. Very overpriced for what you get. Considering the weight, the postage is also very high. Would not buy again.
Hello Peter,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your purchase from us. The price of some of our chocolates have recently had to be increased to cover the increasing cost of cocoa. Our postage charges are monitored on a regular basis and we try to remain competitive with other online retailers.
If you wish to return the goods, please contact us directly and we will be able to advise you on how to do this.
Friars Customer Service
Paid for next day delivery, it was for a friend’s birthday. Item arrived broken, too late for an exchange. Waste of money.
Hello,
I'm sorry that your chocolate tractor was broken on arrival. We always like to know if our products don't arrive in the perfect condition we would expect them to and I will pass on your feedback to the packing team to ensure this doesn't happen again.
I will refund your order in full by way of apology.
Friars Customer Service
Terrible plastic chocolate, the fillings all taste the same. I have had better from a supermarket.
Hello,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you ordered from us. The floral creams are made with Belgian chocolate and we have had very few negative responses to this particular product. Due to the way these chocolates are produced in batches, the flavours can vary from time to time.
Friars Customer Service
I would like to know when the "gold taste award" was given to the floral chocolates, I feel its a valid question? As you point out in replies that; These chocolates are a previous winner of the Gd Taste Awards, how old exactly is that award? Thanks
Hello Summer,
The floral creams were awarded the Gold Taste Award in 2010 and the confectioners were also awarded the Gold Taste Award for their products.
Friars Customer Service
All I can say is I am disappointed. The photo on the sales site shows a glass with the hamper. 5 cans of beer and a packet of crisps for £25 is not food value for money. I will not be using Friars again.
Hello Mark,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the craft beer hamper you ordered from us. The description on our website listing details what is included in the hamper, however, we will add a disclaimer on our listing to state that the glass is not included, so as to avoid any further confusion.
If you would like to return the hamper for a refund, please contact us directly and we will arrange this for you.
Friars Customer Service
I bought what I thought were bars of no sugar added chocolate from Friars (as they were advertised on their website) but when I received them, the milk chocolate bars were labelled low sugar.
Hi Su,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your purchase from us. Our no added sugar chocolate products are made without refined sugars being added and are sweetened with natural alternatives. However, they do contain naturally occurring sugars, as stated in the description and ingredients list on our website.
If you wish to return the items for a refund, please contact us directly and I will arrange this for you.

Friars Customer Service
I am still waiting delivery!!
Hi Sandie, I'm sorry that your parcel didn't arrive as expected due to an error with the delivery address. As you have contacted us directly, this has now been resolved and your parcel will be resent on 08/05/18 when collections with our courier recommence after the Bank Holiday.
Friars Customer Service
The chocolates looked amazing, however they tasted artificial, stale and no flavour, completely disappointing , only ordered as love the coffee flavour but unfortunately very little coffee in chocolate!
Hello Lucie,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you received from us. The Coffee Collection is our most popular chocolate box and we sell a lot of them. With regards to the flavours, the chocolates are handmade in small batches, so the flavours may vary from time to time. I can assure you that all of our chocolates are fresh as they are produced on a regular basis due to the popularity of this box and they are made without any artificial flavourings.
Friars Customer Service
Extremely disapointed. I paid a premium so the delivery would come in time for a birthday gift however it was delayed, really frustrating after the additional cost I paid for this to come in time. I highly suggest reviewing internally to understand how this would happen, particularly as an expensive additional cost is paid for early arrival. Thanks Lydia
Hi Lydia,
I'm sorry that your parcel didn't arrive when expected. I will look into this further and inform our dispatch team of the issue you have encountered so that we can resolve any further potential delays.
I understand that you are unhappy, as you paid extra for a service that you did not receive and I will refund your delivery charge in full by way of an apology.
Thank you for highlighting this issue to us and I hope that we can resolve it satisfactorily.
Friars Customer Service
The cherry liqueur chocolates I have been buying since last autumn are delicate and on 3 occasions arrived damaged in the post. First 2 x Friars apologised and replaced promptly. Third time Friars offered refund but "not prepared to post any more of these to my address"... ever. I am blacklisted from purchasing this product. Friars tell me they think the sorting office is to blame as they must mis-handle them and it seldom happens anywhere else. The chocolates are not marked fragile and I am told this is because that would be a pointless exercise. It the first time my custom has ever been refused because I have been unfortunate enough to receive damaged good on 3 occasions. I have photographs of the box I just collected from the post office and you can clearly see how the contents of the cherry chocolates has leaked. Told I am welcome to purchase the chocolates on the shop in Keswick. Great ... as I live in Newcastle. Furious and will never purchase anything from Friars again.
Dear Lesley,
As explained on the phone we send 100s of these out a year and a small minority do get damaged. To have them break on 3 occasions is unprecedented. We have no doubt that they did indeed get damaged in transit but there seems little point to continue to send goods in the knowledge they are highly likely to be damaged in the post.
We pride ourselves on our customer service but feel we couldn't continue to supply you with this specific product.
Friars
The website automatically put the address of my paypal account down as the delivery address. I called and spoke to a lady to amend the address but they were still delivered to me not the intended recipient
Hi Gillian,
I'm sorry that your parcel was sent to the wrong address, following you contacting us to amend it. I will pass your comments on to our packing team to make them aware of the issue and ensure this does not happen again in the future.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience you have been caused by this error.
Friars Customer Service
I bought these as a xmas gift on the 19th. The checkout page said delivery woukd be in 2-3 days. They did not arrive in time and so were a complete and utter waste of money because I had to rush out and buy replacement gift.
Hi Karen,
I'm sorry that your order from us didn't arrive in the required time. The standard delivery option can take up to 5 working days, as stated in the terms and conditions on our website. As we use a third party to deliver our products, we can not guarantee that delivery will be made in a specific time frame.
If you wish to return your order, please contact us directly and we will arrange for a prepaid returns label to be sent to you and we will refund your order in full, on receipt of the products back to us.
Friars Customer Service
My gift from yourselves never arrived in time for Christmas. Very dissappointed Customer.
Hi Neil,
I'm sorry that your order did not arrive in time for Christmas. As we use a third party to deliver our parcels for us, we can not guarantee prompt delivery of our parcels.
I understand how disappointing this would have been for you and I can only apologise on behalf of Royal Mail for the delay in getting your parcel delivered to you.
Friars Customer Service
Ordered on the 12/12 for next day delivery. Didn't receive order called 2 days later.was told delivery was on its way. 4 days later a replacement order was made. A week later no order received. So called to request a refund.
Hello Tracey,
I'm sorry that you did not yet receive either parcel. This is currently something we are looking into as they were both sent on a tracked service and should have been with you within 24 hours of dispatch. I can only apologise on behalf of Royal Mail, who we use to deliver our parcels and I understand this is not acceptable; especially at this time of year when you have paid for a service you did not receive.
Friars Customer Service
Did not get the return confirmation of delivery, called you after four days and was told need to check. It was at the depot and did not deliver in expected dates. Delivery person was rude. Disappointed! Supposed to be a surprise gift for the receiver, ended with a hassle.
Hello,
I am sorry you had a poor experience, unfortunately once the goods have left us we're in the hands of the courier/Royal Mail which does occasionally result in delays.
Please get in touch with us so we can help resolve any outstanding issues you may have.
Friars
Very disappointing not come as expected. We used to get Friars products years ago and these were definitely not up to standard.
Hello,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the products you ordered from us. If you wish, you can return the products to us and we will refund you. We always like to know when our customers are unhappy with our products and we will pass on your comments to our suppliers.
Please contact us directly to arrange a refund of your order, should you wish to do so.
Friars Customer Service
I brought a pack of 3 chocolate lipsticks and when they arrived one of them had broken. Very disappointed as it was a gift and now looks shoddy.
Hi Meri,

I am sorry one of the lipsticks was broken on arrival, we want our products to arrive in perfect condition and will always replace any damaged goods. Please contact us on 017687 72234 option 1 and we will be happy to arrange a replacement for you.

Friars customer service.