First Utility Reviews

11PM
11PM

Tell us how First Utility made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"This is the worst energy and telephone provider i have ever used in any European country. They are dishonest. Billed me for a home where there was only one person living for about 5 nights in a month due to working away. They later paid back little pittance after a long drawn back and forth letter. Please do not do business with them. Very dishonest and fraudulent in their practice"
Are you First Utility? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"not to be trusted when i decided to switch suppliers received bills of over £500 on 2 properties having been in credit for past 3 years even though the meters had not been read ? cleaver way of keeping you . DO NOT CHANGE TO THIS COMPANY"
"As long as nothing goes wrong, this company is probably on a par with many other companies. However ....... If something goes wrong, they are completely useless. I had no broadband for 4 weeks. Was advised to buy a bolt on from my mobile phone co. They would consider paying for this. Of course this has not been paid to me (£60). Many hours on the phone and online live chat. No free phone line to contact them. Secondly I gave had no landline phone line for nearly 3weeks. Every time I called them I was told there is no fault - as they did for broadband. I am still out of pocket, and have no phone line. Just written an email to Shell/First Utility to advise that I will be transferring back to BT asap. Do it consider changing to Shell/First Utility."
"Started off well but after 3 months wanted to increase payment. After 12 months more than doubled payment without sufficient notice. Moved to New supplier. Now stating we owe them over £400 and asking for immediate payment. Will be seeking full breakdown. Don't use. Will refer to Ombudsman if not happy with response. Complete joke."
"Haven't had a bill for ages then they issue one great big one.they did appolgise but to little to late."
"They charge you to leave even outside of contract Terrible service Avoid avoid avoid"
"It is such a shame when big companies like First utlity behaves like this. Firstly they don't have any facts and secondly they are threatening the customer about the consequences. Here is all what happened. I rented a property in Northampton 11,21 Henry bird way from 1st April to 30th Sept - 2018. Through a Property management called (Turnberry property management), Ever since i have moved i have been in trouble from Turnberry or First utility or British gas. I have given consent in writing to British gas to supply my energy as insisted by Turnberry and after a bit of initial truffle i have received the bills, there are emails to First utility to transfer the energy meter to British gas and first utility has agreed to do so. I have paid my bills to bristish gas and though things are sorted until last week i received another 250 to be paid to first utility. When i called first utility i was on call for 45 mins and the representative was extremely rude and disconnected the call, I have been writing mails to first utility and again not handy help as first utilty has horrible customer service as they don't even know or find the correct details. My questions: 1. How can First utilty be so careless dealing with customers and start threathing the customers by saying some collection agents would come when we don't own anything to you ? 2. Can first utility even get the details correct ever ? without the consent can they start providing the power, When the customer clearly choose the other supplier why are first utilty fighting for it? 3. If there is an issue they should solve with the Owner as the meter still belongs to the owner, why are the troubling the tenant who already paid the bills.? Shame !! the way they are behaving and please stop using the words as customers credit ratings will be hit and all, the issue is with first utility and the companies ratings should go down not the customers. Note: Despite requesting a call back so many times i haven't received a single call !! here are the details: Account number : 3363332 Overdue balance : 243.13 (As wrongly claimed) Address: 11, 21 henry bird way, nn11es. Mobile : 07440578169"
"Poor service, poor quality control, concern over data protection."
"So I thought yes, I could perhaps do with a cheaper package since I do not need all the allowances I was using with other supplier (bit more expensive but perfect). Turns out speed went down to 6mbs which is way below the 'up to 18mbs' as advertised. Very slow even for 3 people. The worst part was THERE WAS NO PARENTAL CONTROL!! To be honest, I thought this was a feature of every broadband service that you can activate if you want. I didn't realise until it was too late, and now after 2 months I now will have to cancel and pay £120. I'll cut my losses because I cannot have internet without parental controls! I have kids to protect. HOW IRRESPONSIBILE OF FIRST UTILITY!!"
"I had this studio flat for years and had tenant in, it is empty for the past 18 months with no usage of gas or electricity today I had a bill for £2,389.10 for I do not know what? first they said it is for electricity and gas and when they found out my gas is a key card gas they said ok it is only for electricity, they do not tell me who signed any contract with them as defiantly it was not me or my agent, as I defiantly changed it to key one. I am not even sure they know where is my flat as if one owes them so much why they do not cut their product? they are the biggest scam. lets go to the court with them."
"Aug 2017:After 6 months of argument with FU refusing our meter reading and making us pay estimated bill I managed to bring the account to resolution, close the acct, get a refund from them, move to different supplier. Dec 2018: I receive a debt collection letter for over £6500???? I am not a customer of them anymore for over a year... They decided to 'review' the account 1 year after I left. Never sent a bill. They are refusing to even apply the OFGEM BACK BILLING PRINCIPLE and are insisting that 2015 is within 12 months of 2018.... hitting my head against a brick wall, Which! Legal team on the case, ombudsman on the case, solicitor on the case and they are still refusing to keep account closed as it was in 2017.... WHAT CAN ONE DO AGAINST THIS?????"
"So moving into my home in November I decided to stick with the current provider. First utility. I was put on a temporary tariff and told if I was to leave there was no contract and I would only be charged my usage. I was charged 2 months in full for only 40 days. After denying all responsibility for 2 months I got a cheque for £42. I've spent hours f my time arguing this. They were over priced and their service was atrocious. I still think I've been robbed and British gas are £34 a month cheaper."
"No communication"
"The company are bordering on a scam. They failed to set up an account with online access for me. I tried several times. First Utility kept sending threatening emails with no account details, no amounts and no breakdown or tariff info - just requesting I pay (no clue as to what amount)! I called to sort this and complain and was put through to their circular customer service number."
"I have my broadband through them an d it's a joke, I only joined them on the 11th Jan and it's the worst service ive ever had, the internet constantly drops out and now I've been with out any phone line or internet for 3 days they have given me 5 days saying bt may be out to fix it on one of them in the afternoon but what day is anyone's guess, DO NOT join them no matter how good the offer is."
"Very poor service , avoid this disgusting company."
"Bad service - customer service dept just hung up on me didn't want to help me."
"Worst experience ever. Wanted my to prove I owned my home via house deeds, didn’t believe I only just moved in. Then when bill was settled by previous owner leaving my small amount - didn’t inform me but sent disgusting letter threatening bailiffs round. Despite a million calls explaining I would pay what was mine. Liars. Can never get through. Phone or chat. Would never ever use."
"Where to start... in a nutshell, my bill was estimated to be arounbd £30 pm. Having started to receive bills over £150pm, I complained to First Utility. Their investigation went on for 26 months!!! In one month, First Utility threatened me with legal action if I failed to pay £600 in 24 hrs. Eventually, following months of agony and heartache, following the intervention of the Ombudsman, my complaint led to a Check Meter fitment, proving I was correct all along. First Utility paid me back nearly £4,000 under pressure from the Ombudsman plus a very small (£150) gesture of goodwill. My advice to anyone and everyone is that yes, we all know that things go wrong, but the sign of a good company is how they respond. I would absolutely save yourself the pain and challenge and go elsewhere... AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!!"
"Terrible, terrible company. Moved into my new house who had an account first First Utility. They refused a switch to a new provider THREE times and each time, after spending over 40 minutes on hold, could not tell me why they had rejected my claim. Unacceptable - never use them for gas or electricity."
First Utility is rated 1.40 based on 35 reviews