First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
Good experience overall. Got the impression First Tutors is a search engine and was surprised to receive an admin message with "buy the tutor's details ". Not obvious when you first start using the site.
Dear Mariya,
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that your overall experience was positive and will forward your feedback to our team about the 'buy the tutor's details'. If you have any further suggestions to help us improve the user experience we would appreciate your comments via email.

First Tutors.
I found a good number of tutors. I found the way the website works not so practical. I find it a bit hard to explain, it is about going back and forth re the different tutors that you contact, finding the messages back, the information you see first, then it has to be found somewhere else..
Paying per tutor seems unfair, as you not sure if you’ll go with the tutor or not. There should be an option to pay to contact more than 1 tutor taking same subjects
Dear Ade,

Thank you for your feedback. We give all students the opportunity to discuss their requirements with as many tutors as they like for free via our private forum. We only ask for the finder's fee once you have made your decision and are happy to go ahead with your chosen tutor.

We offer a tutor guarantee whereby, if after making payment you are unsatisfied with your choice in tutor, we can offer a replacement tutor at no further charge. I have sent you an email this morning to ensure that everything is going well with your chemistry lessons.

Kind Regards,
First Tutors
I didnt realise there was their own fee to pay. It should have been made very obvious
Dear Ash,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you did not realise that the fee you paid was our finder's fee. First Tutors operate as a tuition agency and the fee you pay is to receive your tutor’s direct contact details. This fee helps cover the cost of our identity and reference checks on all registered tutors as well as business running costs.

Information surrounding our fees and how our business model works is displayed on our home page, the help pages and at the top of each tuition request.

I hope that all is going well with your new tutor. If you need any assistance do email our Customer Support team and we will be pleased to assist you.

First Tutors
The service functions well but I did not know that the fee I was paying was for the introduction, not the first lesson.
Dear Josh,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry to hear there was a misunderstanding around the finder's fee. We operate as a tuition agency and the fee you pay the site is the agency fee to receive your tutor’s contact details. This fee helps cover the cost of our identity and reference checks on all registered tutors as well as business running costs.

Information surrounding our fees and how our business model works is displayed on our home page, the help pages and at the top of each request.

First Tutors
The site is easy to use, and the tutor I chose was good.

HOWEVER, £20 intro fee is steep for what they do, their advice to pay after the first session was in direct conflict with the tutors policy of pay before the first session. This left me either paying before and taking the risk or losing the £20 fee.

In summary, it's a very expensive way to find a tutor, but it does work, and they claim to have done checks in all tutors, which is of some value.
Dear Bill,

Thank you for your feedback.

The finder's fee is based on the tutor's hourly rate so that it is affordable for all. The fee varies from £4.99-24.99 and helps cover the security checks we perform on all tutors. We find that this provides parents and students with peace of mind. If you encounter any difficulties with your tutor, please do not hesitate to contact us, we are here to help.

Customer Services Team
First Tutors
Happy with tutors I found but not keen on the finders fee I had to pay each time to First Tutors.
Dear Kirsteen,
Thank you for your feedback. The finder's fee is based on the tutor's hourly rate so that it is affordable for all. The fee helps cover the costs of reference collection, qualification verification, running of the website, staff etc. We find that this provides parents and students with peace of mind.

Customer Services Team
First Tutors.
The website has an excellent range of tutors . The problem is that the website itself is difficult to use, with poor navigatibility between sections. Additionally, given that many people want to hire a tutor to prepare for specific exams and so provide websites of syllabuses to tutors, the restrictions the website places on sharing links is most unhelpful. It could at least keep a regularly updated list of approved websites, which can easily be shared between students and tutors.
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your feedback, we really do value your comments regarding usability of the site and have taken what you say on board. We are always updating the site so do check back again when you next need a tutor.

First Tutors
Did not finish the job. I had to pay another person to finish it.
Not every tutor listed with the highest ratings lives up to the expectations which makes one suspicous of the value of the reviews. The system should allow for a free taster session for all tutors before committing longer term and having to pay for the release of the contact details.
Dear Iris,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that tuition has not gone well with your chosen tutor. We do have a procedure in place where tuition does not go as expected, but as we weren't aware there was a problem we haven't had the opportunity to explain this to you. Customer service have now emailed you regarding this complaint, and if you have any further problems do let us know. Kind regards, Customer Service Team First Tutors
Cant really give you a review,Only happened 1 day so to be honest they were just getting used of each other,
Because he has gone back home, i really think it was a waste of money,
Nobodys fault ,
Regards Maria
Dear Maria,

I understand that the tutor was unable to provide tuition due to the COVID-19 crisis which is understandable.
I see that our customer service team did respond to your email offering you another tutor free of charge. Please do contact us if you wish to go ahead with another tutor.

Customer Services.
It would be good but, unfortunately, you have tutors on there who don't have availability so it's a big waste of time going back and forth.
Dear Georgia,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're very sorry that you have found tutors weren't responding to your tuition requests. We do alert them to every message that you send (via e-mail) and we wish they would respond out of courtesy to you, but sadly cannot force them to do so. All tutors who do not respond to a request are automatically removed from our system after 2 weeks.

We are glad to see you have found a tutor to proceed with on the site and wish you the best of luck with tuition.

First Tutors
My experience was hit and miss as I contacted 3 tutors but only heard back from 1 of them.
The 1 tutor that did reply was professional and efficient in his response to me.
Dear Paula,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that you haven't been fully satisfied with your experience using the site.

We do understand it is disappointing when you open a tuition request with a tutor and they do not respond to you. We do send an email alert to the tutor to advise them when they have a new enquiry, and always hope that they will respond promptly. I am very sorry this was not the case for you with two tutors you tried to contact.

Tutors who do not respond to enquiries have their account deactivated after a period of time: we do this to try to ensure only available and responsive tutors have active profiles on the site.

I am pleased that you did have a positive experience contacting one of your tutors, and hope that your tuition arrangement is going well.

If you need any assistance, please do get in touch with our Customer Support team and we will do our best to help you.

First Tutors
The only negative thing I have to comment is around the fee that First Tutors charge which can be between £4.99 and £24.99. I recently used a chemistry tutor paying £24.99 to release her details. Then paid the tutor. I also wanted a maths tutor which would have cost another £24.99. I found a maths tutor elsewhere. I was told by First Tutor that this fee which strangely ranges in price, is to cover the cost of qualification / reference checks however I would hope that you would check all qualifications before adding a tutor to your site. There are many other tutor services that do not charge that fee and I am more likely to use an alternative company.
Dear Gillian,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors and the fee payable is displayed in the header of the request. We only ask for this payment once you have discussed your requirements in full and you are happy to go ahead with tuition. The fee does vary from £4.99-£24.99, according to how much a tutor charges per hour.

Websites such as First Tutors are now regulated by the Employment Agencies Standards directorate. Under Section 6 of the Employment Agencies Act 1973, this means we cannot charge tutors for finding work, nor can any other website or agency.

Was not able to help .
The first trial lesson was meant to be free but now the tutor is asking for the payment for the trial lesson . As far as I know we should not be paying for the first lesson .
Don’t fully rely on the persons bio of themselves as I don’t think it matches up to the person. It’s a shame you can’t meet them first before committing to paying.
Not sure how fully vetted the tutors are by the company as I was disappointed by the tutor we arranged to see.
Dear Helen,

Thank you for your feedback.

I see that you haven't contacted our customer service team to alert us regarding your disappointment with your tutor. We do have a process to follow so that you can obtain another tutor free of charge. We ID check all tutors, collect references and verify qualifications but as tutors are self employed they are responsible for the information they publish on their profiles. I will contact you now via email so we can collect further information and offer you another tutor.

First Tutors.
Two lessons had so far, seems to be ok
The tutor I have found through first tutors is fantastic however trying to navigate the first tutors website & understand the process was not easy. I didn’t find the website intuitive or user friendly, I’d get emails about things to do but then struggled to locate the right page to action it on online. I was using it on my phone which may not have helped though.... get an app?
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your feedback which is very valuable for our team. I will send you an email with a few questions so that we can collect some information on the device, browser etc you are using to navigate the website. If you encounter any further difficulties, please do not hesitate to send us an email so that our customer service team can help.

First Tutors.
It was difficult to find a tutor at the start at the subheading for cancer science was only under biology. It was annoying because when my tutor request had expired I couldn’t just re search for that same tutor I either had to look through all the tutors again until I released I could go into old tutor requests and click on their profile and message. I don’t like that you need to pay to have the tutors details because you don’t really know if that tutor is going to be good for you. This happened to myself, I paid the £25 and the tutor couldn’t help at all. They should really make it that if you take a lesson with the tutor you should through the website and at that time pay the company to use that tutor. I wasted money with the system they have. Also charging £25 is a ridiculous amount as tutors generally charge £40 upwards so you’re spending a lot at one time. The tutor I have been using is good but I’m not happy with the upfront payment for details.
Dear Nina,

I am very sorry to read your comments. Unfortunately, we have not heard from you regarding this problem so have been unable to help.

Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors and the fee payable is displayed in the header of the request. We only ask for this payment once you have discussed your requirements in full and you are happy to go ahead with tuition. Further information surrounding our fees can be read here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us.php

I have sent you an email this afternoon, with further information on how we can offer you a replacement tutor at no further charge.

Kind Regards,