First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
Good selection of tutors and reviews available to help you choose a suitable person. My only criticism would be that you have to buy your tutors details in advance before you can even check their availability. I paid €15 just to get contact details without knowing if he was available when I needed the grinds. Thankfully the first tutor I tried managed to be available, however this was only because of a cancellation. Other than that there's a fee for every tutor you may need to contact.
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your feedback.

We would always recommend you discuss the tuition arrangement in as much detail as possible before paying the finder's fee. This should help to ensure that the tutor is available at the times you want tuition. If there are any problems with the arrangement please do get in touch with us.

First Tutors
Introduction fee is unfair. There should be at least a small fee for access to all tutors available and not a fee per tutor. That seems unreasonable especially when other websites are free.
Dear Jennifer,
First Tutors charge a finder's fee to release your chosen tutor's contact information, once you have used the free messaging platform to discuss your tuition requirements with a number of tutors. Unlike free services, our finder's fee offers peace of mind as it helps cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors. You can see how our fees compare to other providers at the link below. https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/ I hope all is going well with your new tutor. If you need any assistance please contact our Customer Support team. Kind regards, First Tutors
A very nice person indeed. But there was a communication matter that made us leave. I am sure she is a good tutor and others have greatly benefited but it did not work for us, I am afraid.
Dear Dinesh,

We are very sorry that you have been disappointed with your tutor and appreciate this is not the experience you were hoping for. I can see that you have been in contact with our Customer Support team and we have provided the contact details of a replacement tutor free of charge. I hope all goes well with your new tuition arrangement. If you need any further assistance please let us know. Kind regards, First Tutors
First tutors is a good platform to find a tutor on and I have found a really good tutor who suits my needs. However, while it makes it easy to find tutors, the £25 fee to release the tutors details seems quite expensive and it is not made clear at the beginning.
Responsive tutors. Ridicilously high fees charged by the website.
Dear Seyit,
First Tutors offers a private forum for tutors and students to discuss requirements in full. Only when you are happy with your choice in tutor do we ask for a fee to release their contact details. Our fee's help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all registered tutors. Unlike traditional agencies, First Tutors do not charge commission to the student or the tutor, making us an affordable player on the market. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your choice of tutor, our tutor guarantee enables you to select a replacement tutor at no further cost. If you need any assistance or have any questions please contact our Customer Service team and we will be happy to help. Kind Regards, First Tutors
It’s a bit steep having to pay a release fee for each individual tutor - I paid the £25 fee for two tutors over a two wk period and one of the tutors turned out to be pretty lack lustre and not worth the money. I would be caution about using first tutors again because of this.
Dear Joanna,

Thank you for your feedback. Our fee's help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors so that you can choose with confidence.

I am sorry to hear that things did not work with your initial choice. We do appreciate in certain circumstances, your tutor may not be a good match. Our tutor guarantee enables you to select a replacement tutor at no further charge.

Unfortunatley, as you did not notify us of any issue we have been unable to help. If you contact enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk our customer support team will be able to assist.

Kind Regards,
First Tutors
I don’t like being charged £15 just for the contact details of my tutor but the tutor herself is very good.
Dear Kaitlin,

Thank you for your review.

First Tutors operate as a tuition agency and the fee you pay is to receive your tutor’s direct contact details once you have discussed your requirements using our free messaging system. Our finder's fee helps cover the cost of our identity and reference checks on all registered tutors as well as business running costs. Information surrounding our fees and how we compare to other services can be found here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/. I am pleased to hear that that all is going well with your new tutor. If you need any assistance do email our Customer Support team and we will be pleased to assist you.
First Tutors
I engaged the Tutor on 10th October and by 30th October, no lessons had been undertaken because he needed essays from my son to rate him.
I didn't find that to be a good reason for not commencing lessons by an experienced Tutor. Because we differ in approach and never had any lessons from him, I don't have a solid basis for reviewing his performance.
Dear Phillip,

We are very sorry that things haven't worked out with your tutor: we appreciate this is not the experience you were hoping for. I can see that you have already contacted our Customer Support team and we have offered you the opportunity to connect with a free replacement tutor which we hope will resolve the matter positively for you.

If you need any further assistance please reply directly to Customer Support.

First Tutors
Good experience overall. Got the impression First Tutors is a search engine and was surprised to receive an admin message with "buy the tutor's details ". Not obvious when you first start using the site.
Dear Mariya,
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that your overall experience was positive and will forward your feedback to our team about the 'buy the tutor's details'. If you have any further suggestions to help us improve the user experience we would appreciate your comments via email.

First Tutors.
I found a good number of tutors. I found the way the website works not so practical. I find it a bit hard to explain, it is about going back and forth re the different tutors that you contact, finding the messages back, the information you see first, then it has to be found somewhere else..
Paying per tutor seems unfair, as you not sure if you’ll go with the tutor or not. There should be an option to pay to contact more than 1 tutor taking same subjects
Dear Ade,

Thank you for your feedback. We give all students the opportunity to discuss their requirements with as many tutors as they like for free via our private forum. We only ask for the finder's fee once you have made your decision and are happy to go ahead with your chosen tutor.

We offer a tutor guarantee whereby, if after making payment you are unsatisfied with your choice in tutor, we can offer a replacement tutor at no further charge. I have sent you an email this morning to ensure that everything is going well with your chemistry lessons.

Kind Regards,
First Tutors
I didnt realise there was their own fee to pay. It should have been made very obvious
Dear Ash,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you did not realise that the fee you paid was our finder's fee. First Tutors operate as a tuition agency and the fee you pay is to receive your tutor’s direct contact details. This fee helps cover the cost of our identity and reference checks on all registered tutors as well as business running costs.

Information surrounding our fees and how our business model works is displayed on our home page, the help pages and at the top of each tuition request.

I hope that all is going well with your new tutor. If you need any assistance do email our Customer Support team and we will be pleased to assist you.

First Tutors
The service functions well but I did not know that the fee I was paying was for the introduction, not the first lesson.
Dear Josh,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry to hear there was a misunderstanding around the finder's fee. We operate as a tuition agency and the fee you pay the site is the agency fee to receive your tutor’s contact details. This fee helps cover the cost of our identity and reference checks on all registered tutors as well as business running costs.

Information surrounding our fees and how our business model works is displayed on our home page, the help pages and at the top of each request.

First Tutors
The site is easy to use, and the tutor I chose was good.

HOWEVER, £20 intro fee is steep for what they do, their advice to pay after the first session was in direct conflict with the tutors policy of pay before the first session. This left me either paying before and taking the risk or losing the £20 fee.

In summary, it's a very expensive way to find a tutor, but it does work, and they claim to have done checks in all tutors, which is of some value.
Dear Bill,

Thank you for your feedback.

The finder's fee is based on the tutor's hourly rate so that it is affordable for all. The fee varies from £4.99-24.99 and helps cover the security checks we perform on all tutors. We find that this provides parents and students with peace of mind. If you encounter any difficulties with your tutor, please do not hesitate to contact us, we are here to help.

Customer Services Team
First Tutors
Happy with tutors I found but not keen on the finders fee I had to pay each time to First Tutors.
Dear Kirsteen,
Thank you for your feedback. The finder's fee is based on the tutor's hourly rate so that it is affordable for all. The fee helps cover the costs of reference collection, qualification verification, running of the website, staff etc. We find that this provides parents and students with peace of mind.

Customer Services Team
First Tutors.
The website has an excellent range of tutors . The problem is that the website itself is difficult to use, with poor navigatibility between sections. Additionally, given that many people want to hire a tutor to prepare for specific exams and so provide websites of syllabuses to tutors, the restrictions the website places on sharing links is most unhelpful. It could at least keep a regularly updated list of approved websites, which can easily be shared between students and tutors.
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your feedback, we really do value your comments regarding usability of the site and have taken what you say on board. We are always updating the site so do check back again when you next need a tutor.

First Tutors
Did not finish the job. I had to pay another person to finish it.
Not every tutor listed with the highest ratings lives up to the expectations which makes one suspicous of the value of the reviews. The system should allow for a free taster session for all tutors before committing longer term and having to pay for the release of the contact details.
Dear Iris,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that tuition has not gone well with your chosen tutor. We do have a procedure in place where tuition does not go as expected, but as we weren't aware there was a problem we haven't had the opportunity to explain this to you. Customer service have now emailed you regarding this complaint, and if you have any further problems do let us know. Kind regards, Customer Service Team First Tutors
Cant really give you a review,Only happened 1 day so to be honest they were just getting used of each other,
Because he has gone back home, i really think it was a waste of money,
Nobodys fault ,
Regards Maria
Dear Maria,

I understand that the tutor was unable to provide tuition due to the COVID-19 crisis which is understandable.
I see that our customer service team did respond to your email offering you another tutor free of charge. Please do contact us if you wish to go ahead with another tutor.

Customer Services.
It would be good but, unfortunately, you have tutors on there who don't have availability so it's a big waste of time going back and forth.
Dear Georgia,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're very sorry that you have found tutors weren't responding to your tuition requests. We do alert them to every message that you send (via e-mail) and we wish they would respond out of courtesy to you, but sadly cannot force them to do so. All tutors who do not respond to a request are automatically removed from our system after 2 weeks.

We are glad to see you have found a tutor to proceed with on the site and wish you the best of luck with tuition.

First Tutors is rated 4.59 based on 7,628 reviews