First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
We sent a request to the tutor and didn’t get a respond from him for one week.
After arranging a free consultation ( by the tutor, in his convenient time Sunday morning ) we arranged our plans accordingly, but the tutor didn’t log in. Really disappointed.
Dear Marina,

I am very sorry to hear that your tutor did not attend your planned consultation and understand how disappointing this is for you.

I can see that you have not yet contacted us about this problem so we haven't been able to help you. I will send you an email now to explain how you can connect with a free replacement tutor.

First Tutors
I was looking for a tutor in Welsh for September and went on line (regrettably) to discover names.
A couple of Agency names came up, one of which was yours. I registered and then the trouble started.
I had found Richard’s name somehow and had it not been for his personal help, I would have become completely lost in your incomprehensible website. You should thank him (and not your website) that we have now been able to take this forward. I was on the point of giving up and will never do this again.
Dear Howard,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that you have found our site difficult to navigate. Information surrounding how our site works is displayed on our home page, the about us page, and on the help pages to try to ensure that the process is smooth from the beginning to the end.

Please be assured your comments will be passed on.

First Tutors
My opinion on first tutors is a mixed one. I was using the sub section of music. The search facilities on this section differ to Academic. Its brown decor made it feel out of date, the search function wasn't ideal and felt equally last updated around 2005...
It wasn't clear how the website worked, at no point was it explained that there would be a finders fee (not that I saw, even if its not hidden it wasn't explained clear enough) until I was messaging a teacher and I put my mobile number and it said "your comment goes against our rules and will have to be reviewed" or along those lines which left me feeling that I had broken a rule I didn't know existed.

Looking back at the website the first mention of the 7.99 fee is below 2 of the lengthiest paragraphs and below the search funtion. When I arrive at this website I am looking for a tutor. Respectfully I am not interested in "who you are or About Us". I am looking for a tutor. Hence the reason I went straight to the search function.

It leads me to feel that the creators of First Tutors fear people leaving the website after seeing the finders fee which is why they leave it so far down the page.

It feels slightly like they do not believe in the value they are offering customers, otherwise they would be more transparent.

I was HAPPY to pay the finders fee as the best part of the whole experience was how good my new guitar teacher is. HOWEVER, I think there needs to be more transparency, there should be a welcome page that explains how it works.
E.g.
Step 1 - Choose a subject
Step 2 - Choose a tutor
Step 3 - Pay finders fee to release details
Step 4 - Book your first session

I truly believe that because of the confusing nature of your website and finding fee scenario you will be losing business not just for you but for your tutors as well.

The end result is good, if you fight you way through the poorly designed and functioning website.

If it had an update worthy of 2020 and a little more transparency I believe it would be fantastic.

All of this coming from a millennial, the next generation of people looking through your website.

Sent with all best wishes.
Dear Karl,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We continually attempt to make improvements and changes to our service to make it as easy as possible for students to find tutors, and for tutors to find new clients. We aim to be transparent with regards to our fees and provide a user-friendly service.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I will ensure your comments are shared with our development teams to assist in making changes in the future.

In the meantime, if you have any additional feedback or questions please do not hesitate to contact us music@firsttutors.co.uk and our friendly customer support team will be able to help.

I wish you the very best of luck with your guitar lessons.

First Tutors
Unfortunately the tutor had problems engaging and holding my son’s attention during the first lesson and then refused to teach my son, so I can’t say that I’ve had a good experience with Inga.
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that tuition has not gone well with your chosen tutor. We do have a procedure in place where tuition does not go as expected, but as we weren't aware there was a problem we haven't had the opportunity to explain this to you. Customer service have now emailed you regarding this complaint, and if you have any further problems do let us know.

First Tutors
rebecca has just emailed me and let us down fromt eh lesson booked with her

she is very unprofessional and really let my daughter down

i am looking for a total fund of the money i paid you for her contact details and feel she had no intention of turning up
The worst provider I have ever dealt with. I very nearly gave up trying. It should be straightforward but I had to ask them how to make the required registration fee and the address they provided for the tutor was inadequate; I had to telephone the tutor for detailed information to get to her.
Dear Seagain,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that your experience via our website was not satisfactory. Our system does send emails at each step and once the tutor accepts, another email is sent explaining how to release the tutor's contact details. You possibly didn't receive this email as I do see that you emailed our customer service team who responded within a few minutes. I also see that you created the request as travel arrangements to be negotiated but within the request nothing was discussed about who was going to travel so this would of course caused confusion. Clicking 'check roads' within the request does display the exact driving distance between your postcodes.

I do hope that your experience with your tutor is positive but please contact us if any problem arise, we are here to help.

Customer Services
First Tutors
An expensive advertising site. The Finders Fee for my tutor was £25. The references are hardly a guide to their work ethic having been written by friends and only including the first name of the peron writing it. I am astonished why First Tutors think this is a acceptable indication of a person's reliability and suitability to work with children. There is no CRB guaranteed. They do check the person's right to work in the UK which is the least of my concerns. I thought I was paying for robust background checks - but it appears not. Should I need another tutor, next time I will ask the school and other parents who they use.
Dear Clare,

We are disappointed to read your review and are sorry you feel our finder’s fee is expensive. First Tutors charge a finder’s fee to connect you with your chosen tutor, after you have used the free messaging platform to discuss your requirements with as many tutors as you like. You may like to read the information at the following link to see how our service compares to other agency services: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

Regarding the security checks completed on registered tutors: before we provide a tutor's contact details to you we have collected copies of certain information submitted by the tutor.

References: We are legally required to collect two references for our tutors in accordance with employment agency regulations and the Information Commissioner's Office with whom we are registered. Tutors that are new to the professional may not have existing experience in the field and therefore we don't place limitations on the type of reference we receive; however all references are reviewed by our Compliance Manager to ensure suitability to use our service. We are unable to pass on the full name of referees to clients for data protection reasons.

Photo Identity: Tutors must provide us with a scanned, clear copy of their photo identity. We follow the proof of identity checklist as outlined by the government.

Proof Of Address: All tutors must pass an identity check to prove their residency in the UK.

Private Tuition is not classed as a regulated activity under government legislation and as such a private tutor is not required to have a DBS check (unlike teachers in schools who must have this). A parent or guardian is always expected to be present when private tuition takes place.

I hope that the above has provided some clarity on the checks we complete for tutors who are registered on the site. If you have any further questions please contact our Customer Support team directly.

Hi
I cancelled the lessons with Mr. Hooshang. There are few reasons. Could you arrange another please ?

Many thanks
Linda
Dear Linda,

I am very sorry to read your review and understand that you have been unhappy with your tutor. Our Customer Service team have contacted you today by email to explain how you can connect with a replacement tutor at no further cost which I do hope will resolve the matter positively for you.

If you need any further assistance please do reply to Customer Service and we will be pleased to help you.

First Tutors
Unfortunately Azar did not meet expectations. Difficult to understand and. Not able to teach well.
Dear Aidan,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out with Azar. I see that you didn't contact us so we were unable to help. I will now send you an email explaining how to obtain another tutor free of charge.

Customer Service Team
Money making, anyone can list themselves as tutor, you do not CRB check tutors which I feel since First Tutors charge a fee this should most definitely be included to somewhat safe guard the tutee regardless of “the law” which is stated on your website. You are paying for details of someone that you have never met or even spoken to as First Tutors controls communication through limited messaging through their website and will only release the telephone numbers etc once you have paid their fee. There is no protection for the tutee. I think this is a terrible way of encouraging people including parents and children to find a tutor and I do not recommend.
Dear Jemma,

Thank you for your feedback. It is true that private tuition is not regulated like teaching and that tutors aren't required to hold a current DBS certificate. We do actively encourage all tutors on our site to indicate prominently if they have a current DBS and to take this with them to the first tuition session along with all their other documentation. We carry out identity checks on every tutor and obtain independent references to ensure that they will provide quality tuition.

Of course children should always be accompanied to every tuition session by a parent or guardian for safeguarding reasons. If there is ever any safeguarding issue we do of course actively encourage you to get in touch.

First Tutors
The website's design is not friendly, too much text.
Dear Marcelo,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you found the website text heavy, we aim to offer a user friendly service.

If you are ever having difficulties in using the website, we have a customer support team working seven days a week to help you with any of your questions and concerns.

I have sent you an email this morning to better understand the problems you have faced so that we can improve.

First Tutors
Tutor request to pay to get his/her contact details.
After you send the payment, you surprisingly, discover the tutor either busy or not suitable while you put full details of your requirements.
Dear Saad,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your tutor is not suitable for your requirements and is not available for tuition as you had hoped.

We do recommend that prior to purchasing a tutor's contact details you use the free messaging forum to discuss all your requirements in detail, including suitable dates and times for tuition, to be as certain as possible that your chosen tutor will be a good match for you.

As we had not heard from you to indicate that there was a problem with your tutor, we have not yet been able to help you. I have just sent you an email now to explain how you can chose a replacement tutor at no further cost. I do hope that this will enable us to resolve the matter positively for you.

First Tutors
A refund should be available if the tutor can not help you.
Dear Nicola,

I am very sorry to hear that your tutor has been unable to help you. We do send a follow up email after your arrangement has been confirmed to ensure everything has gone to plan. Unfortunately, we had not heard from you so we were unable to help. Our customer support team work seven days a week to answer any of your questions and concerns.

We have reached out to you today to have this matter resolved for you as soon as possible.

First Tutors
Its an overpriced, absolutely unnecessary page which do not offer anything extra for the money I have to pay-especially nowadays with all these social media opportunity. Absolutely useless, confusing and unhelpful.
Dear Marietta,

I'm sorry to see you only rated First Tutors 2/5 stars. Unlike free services, First Tutors conduct identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors, this extra verification process provides peace of mind to our clients.

Unfortunately, there is no indication on the account that you were having any problems or difficulties so we were unable to help. Our support service are always available should you need help or support in using the service. (enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk).

I am delighted to see that you had a positive experience with your piano teacher and I wish you the best of luck with your lessons.

First Tutors
Unfortunately it didnt go ahead.
The tutor didnt come prepared for the lesson, no worksheets provided for my child to work from, she asked me to print worksheets instead.
Covered one partial topic.
After reading a text, questions not answered. (Work not complete)
Didnt focus completely on the lesson, instead would write out homework during the lesson.
No initial assessment even though was stated that it will be carried out.
Also couldnt cover all the topics that i asked to cover during the lesson.
Tutor worked from a workbook to teach but stated before that she would work from past papers, revision guides and has access to bofa online account resources.
Dear Noreen,

Thank you for your feedback. I will contact you now via email because we haven't received notification from you about any problems with your second tutor so we were unable to help. We want our clients to find a suitable tutor so if there is a problem we will help you source another tutor free of charge.

Customer Services
First Tutors.
Why pay £8 to try a tutor you know nothing about? How far away are they from your home? You can't speak to them to make an initial judgement (the phone number is blocked until you sign up). I know there is a detailed explanation on the site but I reckon the fee should be built in to lesson costs or picked up by First Tutors. There's a strong chance you will try a few tutors until you settle on one.
Dear Geoff,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear you think our fees are expensive. Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors. This offers peace of mind to our parents.

The distance to the tutor's location is indicated at the top of the request and if there are any problem's at all with a tutor's suitability we ask users to get in touch so we can offer another tutor free of charge.

Information surrounding our fees is displayed across various pages of the website. However, I will ensure your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to see if this can be made clearer throughout the process to avoid similar discrepancies in the future.

If you would like to discuss this in further detail, please contact our support team enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk and we will be happy to assist you.

First Tutors
Very surprised at the cost involved to get in contact with the Tutor
Dear Susan,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear our fees came as a surprise for you. Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors. This offers peace of mind to our parents.

First Tutors
Unfortunately, I have chosen a primary school teacher instead of Secondary.
She couldn’t teach the lesson and had to leave .
Dear Yasmin,

I am sorry to see that you have chosen a tutor for the incorrect level. Our customer support team are available 7 days a week to help answer any of your questions and concerns. Please contact enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk in future so that we can do our best to help you.

I have sent you an email with further details so that we can arrange to find a tutor for secondary level tuition for you.

First Tutors
Your internet payment website did not work when needed- this is unacceptable
Dear Vince,
Thank you for your feedback. I do see that you attempted to pay a couple of times and eventually managed to make payment. I will make sure the incident is investigated with SagePay (the payment platform that handles payments) but the most common reason is a temporary server error.
I apologise for the inconveniences and hope you are satisfied with your tutor.

Customer Service Team
great idea but the price is high just to get someone's details in my view, I'm unemployed due to a medical disability and to pay the £8 intro fee is a lot to ask I feel personally so it has stopped me meeting what seemed like a great tutor
Hello,
I'm sorry you feel that the intro fee was expensive. The intro fee helps cover the costs of ID checks, reference collection, qualification verification, running of the website, staff etc.

The fee you refer to is on our music site which we try and keep as low as possible.

Customer Services.