First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
We contacted 2 tutors. One of which did come to our home to do a session with my son and whilst she was delightful she was not really quick enough to deal with A Level maths and had to keep looking up answers on-line as opposed to knowing the process herself. In our view she would be fabulous with younger children but not for A level maths as stated on the First Tutors site.

The other tutor seemed more keen to discuss his hourly rates of pay than having a genuine interest in helping our son and after making contact we decided not to pursue this tutor, but regardless of this he messages us twice after we advised him we had found another tutor. Glad we didn't meet him as he seemed far more interested in his own personal gain than a genuine interest in tutoring A level maths - a close escape from a persistent self interested man.
Dear Jeni,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your tutors, we didn't hear from you so were unable to help. We do have a set procedure to follow when this happens so that you can obtain another tutor's contact details free of charge.
I will email you now about this.

First Tutors.
I was very impressed at how quickly the tutor responded but found the site a little confusing and the fee that the site charges very excessive.
Dear Tracey,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are pleased to hear you managed to find a suitable tutor.

Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors so you can choose someone with confidence.

We aim to make our service as user-friendly as possible and would like to discuss this with you further in order to help simplify the process for our customers.

Sarah
The process of finding a tutor was simple, but I found your website a little confusing. After paying to release the tutors details and contacting him directly as a result, the website still kept sending me messages. According to it, I was going to lose my tutor, which I wasn’t, so I ignored it. The tutor was confused as he received another request for tutoring from me which I never made, in the end I withdrew my initial request for tutoring, having now made all the arrangements with the tuotor himself. Annoying.
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about the site. We do aim to make the site as user friendly as possible and I am sorry that you have not found this to be the case. We do alert tutees when they have requests still open with tutors, even if they have already selected another tutor but I am sorry this was not clear.

Please do send us an email if we can assist you further and we wish you success with your new tutor.

Customer Support
Too expensive 30 pound an hour and not much work was done
Dear Dembo,
I'm sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your tutor. We haven't heard from you so were unable to help. We do have a set procedure to follow when this happens so that you can claim another tutor free of charge.
Please note that when you make a search using the advanced tool you can filter the tutor fees to adjust to your budget. In some areas we do have tutors that provide tuition for as little as 10 pounds per hour.

I will send you an email now explaining the procedure.

First Tutors.
Great to find a tutor through a quick and easy mechanism. Cost is quite expensive to secure the tutor contact details. Furthermore that does not mean the tutor is right for you.
Dear Vinay,

If you do find that your chosen tutor is not suitable for you all we ask is that you contact us, leave feedback for your tutor, and then we will connect you with another tutor at no further cost to you.

I hope you find success with your tutor, but please do contact Customer Services if you need any assistance, we are happy to help.

First Tutors
Found tutor for my son using First Tutors. Everything worked out OK finding the right tutor.
What i was disappointed with was that i had to pay to use this service.
Dear Sokckut,

Thank you for your feedback.

The intro fee helps cover the cost of ID checks, reference collection, qualification verification etc. plus the running of the website, staff etc.

We hope your experience with the tutor is a positive one, if you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help.

First Tutors.
Website quite confusing but figured it out
Dear Jo,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you found the website difficult to navigate. Please let us know what parts of the website or process you found confusing, I will send you an email now.

Best of luck with your new tutor!

First Tutors.
Not clear enough information about the fees that First Tutors charge to find you a tutor - was a bit shocked when I paid a fee only to be told that was for their finders fee and not the tutors fee.
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry to hear that you missed reading about our introduction fee. Information surrounding our fees and how our business model works is displayed on our home page, on the about us page, on the help pages and also in our Terms & Conditions.

We operate as a tuition agency and the fee you have paid is the agency fee to receive your tutors contact details. This fee helps cover the cost of our identity and reference checks on all registered tutors as well as business running costs.

I am sorry if you feel misled but we do state on the website that you must pay your tutor directly for their hourly rate.

First Tutors
Was an ok meeting, I am just not impressed with the subsequent meetings.
Dear Jessica,

I am sorry to read your comments and understand your reason for concern. We haven't heard from you regarding the problem so have been unable to help so far. In order to resolve this matter for you, I have sent you an email with instructions on how to leave feedback for your tutor and choose a replacement tutor at no further cost.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

First Tutors
Was an ok meeting, I am just not impressed with the subsequent meetings.
disappointed with organisation of tutor. the system works well but tutors need to be told that once they give affirmation to a specific time and day, they need to stick to it.... or not commit until they know for sure
Dear Clare,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with the service you have received from your tutor. I can see that you have not yet contacted Customer Services about this matter so that we can help you. I will send you an email now.

First Tutors
Stop pestering people-if there is a problem will contact you.
Dear Roger,

I'm sorry to hear you feel we are pestering you, this is certainly not our intention. Once a tutor and a tutee have exchanged contact details we send an email a couple of days afterwards to make sure contact has been made and to prompt the customer to respond to that email if there has been a problem with the tutor.

I hope you understand.

Customer service team
First Tutors.
Stop pestering people-if there is a problem will contact you.
The website is very confusing ! It’s good to put all the tutors in one place but the menu and button is not very clear or very confusing .

Even when I receive a message from the tutor , the button for me to read the message is “reply to the tutor” . I only want to read it first and reply later . I understand after I do them several times. And there is no clear explanation about anything else like I have to pay the details to be able to get in touch directly to the tutor . I have to remind the tutor to accept before I can buy his detail ! Those things are silly ! It should be so easy and not too complicated .

I am first time to use the website and I find it so confusing .
Definately need to revamp your website !
Dear Nike,
Thank you for your valuable feedback which I will forward to our team.

If you encounter any problems with your tutor please do not hesitate to contact our customer service team, we are here to help.

First Tutors
The website was easy to use to locate a suitable tutor in my local area so it met its main purpose. It looks like First Tutors focus on obtaining references and checking details which is good. Website works well.

I don't like the fact that the searcher has to pay to contact the tutor - sales leads are normally paid for by the seller - and the fee is not cheap. And there is no facility for ongoing comms with the tutor after they have taken your money within the website unless you start a new enquiry.
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your feedback. Our one-off introduction fee helps to cover the cost of reference and identity checks on all of our registered tutors. These fees are variable and are linked to the tutor's price per hour to make our service as affordable as possible. Websites such as First Tutors are regulated by the Employment Agencies Standards directorate and we cannot charge tutors for finding work.

Once payment of the introduction fee has been made and you receive your tutor’s full contact details you do need to communicate directly with your tutor (by telephone, email, text) to finalise your arrangements for lessons, outside of the website. I am sorry if this wasn’t clear.

If you need any further assistance please contact Customer Services.
Good luck with your new tutor.

First Tutors
Tutor is very good but found the booking process a faff
Dear Helen,

Thank you for your feedback. We aim to make our service as user friendly as possible and would like to discuss this with you to see if we can make the relevant improvements. Please do email Customer Services with any suggestions you may have as to how the booking process could be more streamlined.

First Tutors
It was disappointing that when I had paid I discovered the tutor is not 1.5 miles away but 2.2 miles. Havent had a lesson yet as there have been practical issues.
Dear Pirashanthie,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that there have been problems setting up tuition with your tutor. All tutors should ensure their contact and address details are up to date. Please do contact us if there is anything at all we can do.

First Tutors
I recently paid £14.99 for Fabienne, got her address and discovered that she only does tutoring at her home. Therefore I decided not to use her. Can you tell me how I get the £14.99 refunded?

Many thanks

Kirsten Rees
Dear Kirsten, I am sorry to read your feedback. It is our intention to investigate this and call the tutor to account. As we had not heard from you regarding your problem, we have been unable to assist. I have sent you an email now with instructions on how to leave feedback and choose a replacement tutor at no further cost. Look forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards, Sarah First Tutors
She was ok but somehow she told she can't continue to tutor my son and i don't know the reason why?am not happy about it.
Dear Faisa,

First Tutors
most Tutors I am looking replied that they do not have time. Another tutor is far away from I live which is inconvenient.
Dear Diana,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you have had a poor experience. We do ask that all tutors switch off their profiles if they no longer have availability which clearly hasn't happened in this case for which we apologise. I can see my colleague has already been in touch regarding how to leave feedback for a tutor and if we can be of any further help please do let us know.

First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,505 reviews