First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
I am afraid I do not agree on the cost of it, I think it is a little to expensive just to exchange information.
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors' introduction fee. We take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. Please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we'll begin working with you to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible.
Good place to start finding out if there are tutors mear you but a majority of tutors have their own websites! This website charges an extortate amount for just listing tutors and making you pay closr £25 just for "introduction" fee of getting a tutors details. The fee you pay is a fee TO First Tutors, not the tutor for your first lesson. The website could be a lot clearer about this/ easier to understand this. But otherwise, the tutor i found was genuine and wonderful.
Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you found a suitable tutor. Please note that if you have problems with the tutor you can contact us to receive a replacement. The intro fee helps cover the cost of ID checks, reference collection, qualification verification, running of the website, staff etc. This gives peace of mind to our students and parents alike. We do have an advanced search tool that filters by fee, this means that for example if you can only afford 10 pounds per hour the intro fee will be a one off 4.99 only to pay First Tutors.

Please contact us if you have further questions.

First Tutors.
Found this a bit of a long winded process to be honest. Too much back and forth. Much rather just be able to contact the teacher.
Dear Carole,

We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your feedback seriously. Please be assured your comments have been passed on and if you need anything at all please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php

First Tutors
It was easy to locate everything (easy use), however there weren’t many tutors to select from.
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you didn't find the selection of tutors you expected and we are always aiming to increase the numbers on the site. We are happy to see you have managed to acquire a tutor through the site and wish you the best of luck with tuition.

First Tutors
I wasn't expecting to have to pay for finding a tutor. I thought it was too expensive.
Dear Kelly,
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. Our introductory fee helps cover the cost of reference and identity checks on all of our registered tutors- this helps offer peace of mind to users to ensure they can choose their tutor in confidence. If you require any further assistance or would like further information, lease contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we'll begin working with you to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible. We look forward to speaking with you.
First Tutors
I found the system was not straight forward or easy to use. Having to contact the tutor through the first tutor system (after initial contact) was very cumbersome and slow.
Dear Vanessa,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are sorry that did not find the website or process to be user friendly. We are always keen to hear feedback on how we can improve the user experience so if there are any specific issues you would like to explain to us we would be very happy to hear them so that we can consider how we can improve. I have sent you an email about this now.

First Tutors
Efficient, effective and user friendly. Would use again.
It is very expensive ! E.g. releasing tutor details as well as the tuition fees.
Dear Anam,

Thank you for your feedback. The introduction fee varies and is linked to the hourly rate charged by the tutor to make the service as affordable as possible for everyone. The introduction fee goes towards the costs involved in completing ID and referencing checks on our tutors, which gives peace of mind to students and families.

I hope that you have a successful tuition arrangement with your tutor. Please do contact us if you need any assistance.

First Tutors
A confusing experience, rushed and unstructured. Have found tutor but didn’t enjoy the process of doing it.
Dear Laura,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we would like to discuss this with you so that we can make some changes to put things right. I have sent you an email this morning regarding this.

First Tutors
I think FirstTutors is a great way to connect students to their chosen teacher in the speacialist subject. It’s a fast and realible way to engage with the tutors and personal data is safe. I guess the only downside i can say is that you HAVE to pay to get your tutors details (e.g email address / number)
Dear Shaz,
Thank you for providing your feedback. We are pleased to hear your experience with First Tutors has been a positive one. With regards to our fees, these help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors to offer peace of mind to our clients. Our parents/families really seem to appreciate the extra security measures put in place.

Should you have any further questions or require further information on the above, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best of luck with your private tuition!

First Tutors
although I have used first tutors for a while my one complaint is the introduction fee is expensive and this needs to be reduced, it costs more than a lesson just to get the details of the person, very unreasonably priced, in my opinion.
Dear Sylvia,
Thank you for your feedback. The introductory fee helps cover the cost of reference and identity checks on all of our registered tutors. This helps offer peace of mind to our clients. Many of our registered tutors offer a reduced rate for their first session to help compensate the administration fee.
Should you wish to discuss this in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact us,
First Tutors
the mobile is not a correct number.
Dear Lydia,

I am sorry that you have not been able to contact your tutor via their mobile phone. We ask all tutors to ensure that their contact details are up to date and I am sorry that you have found this not to be the case. I can see that a Customer Services representative has already been assisting you with this matter so I will send you a further email now to advise you further.

Christine
Customer Support
First Tutors
Helping people for getting good teachers
The main problem with First Tutors is the lack of customer services. Your company has decided not to provide its customers with a telephone number where to call, therefore it’s an intentional policy, not a mistake.
Dear Sylvia,
Thank you for your feedback. I am a little puzzled by your comment because I do see that you were in touch with customer services and received 4 separate emails from two of our CS staff to your questions. We prefer to respond via email (this way we have a clear history of events) to all customer enquiries, we respond quickly, usually within 30 minutes, including weekends. If you still have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Customer Service Team.
First Tutors.
not clear that the first payment is for the website and you have to py tutor separately for first session
Dear Jakelyn,

We're sorry that you misunderstood the introduction fee and thought that it was payment for a lesson. We do explain the introduction fee on our homepage (https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/), our how to find a tutor page (https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/how-to-find-a-tutor.php) and FAQs (https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/faqs.php).

We operate as a tuition agency and the fee you have paid is the agency fee to receive your tutors contact details. This fee helps cover the cost of our identity and reference checks on all registered tutors as well as business running costs.

Christine
Customer Services
First Tutors
The service was easy to use however £25 introduction fee is extortionate.
Dear Hayley,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you think the introduction fee was too high. The introduction fee we charge ranges from £4.99-£24.99 according to the price per hour a tutor charges, so you have bought the details of a tutor in the most expensive price bracket.

The introduction fee covers the cost of identity checks, reference collection and qualification checks of the tutors as well as day to day running costs of the site. Legally we cannot charge tutors for finding work under Section 6 of the Employment Agencies Act 1973.

Grace
First Tutors
A bit difficult to access tutor
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm not sure if you refer to the fact you are having problems contacting your tutor or if you found the process difficult when making a request through our website.

I will send you an email now asking you to please clarify.

First Tutors.
3 starts because I was successful in finding a tutor. I'd have liked to have given 2 stars because it mentioned no word about payment or what was expected, then once I had messaged a tutor and arranged to meet I found out I had to pay first tutors £25. It hadn't said this anywhere before so I wasn't expecting it. Pretty poor trading standards.
Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you missed out on reading we have an introduction fee. We do state it on our homepage (https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/), our how to find a tutor page (https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/how-to-find-a-tutor.php) and FAQs (https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/faqs.php). In addition to this we do also state it at the top of all tuition requests.

Grace
First Tutors
Website is not very user friendly compared to other Tutor websites
Dear Gail,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to know how you think we could improve so I will send you an email now asking for more detailed information if you would be kind enough to help us with this.

Thank you.

First Tutors.
Could have extra information on tutors so it is easier to find the right tutor
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass your comments to our team.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems with your tutor.

First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,505 reviews