First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
Good simple system and easily identified a good tutor. Felt that costs were hidden until very late on in the process.
Dear Susanna,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you found a suitable tutor.
The intro fees are displayed on the First Tutors homepage, also on the HELP page too. The exact fee for your tutor is also within the request/message thread with each tutor your enter communication with. Hope that helps.

Please do contact us if you have further questions.

First Tutors.
I found a good maths tutor for my son but was surprised at how much I had to pay to get her details. Some tutors cost a lot more too and it seems you pay more depending on the tutor price
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. Our fees are linked to the tutors hourly rate to make our service as affordable as possible. The fee helps cover the cost of identity and reference checks to ensure peace of mind when making your choice in private tutor. Unlike traditional agencies, we do not charge a fee on top of each lesson so that you save across the full cost of tuition. If you want to read more about our fees you can do so here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us.php

I wish you the very best of luck with your lessons. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our support team.

First Tutors
Too many nagging emails when I chose and found a suitable Tutor quickly.
Dear Michael,
Thank you for providing your feedback. Our automated system emails are designed to help clients and tutors using the service, I apologise if you found these unhelpful. If you would like to provide further feedback regarding these messages, please contact us and we will do our best to make the relevant improvements.

I wish you the best of luck with your tutor.

First Tutors
Mr George is welcoming and friendly also engaging and confident on our first meeting. We managed to get a plan of the actions and goals to achieve.
However on the first lesson my son found the desk where Mr George is teaching is not quite suitable for teaching a student and particularly the desk is too small that my son struggled to fit his note book to write note.
Nevertheless I raised the concern with the tutor and he said, 'Unfortunately it is not much i can do unless I sit beside to give Daniel more room.'
I am as a paying customer not happy with the sitting arrangements because it makes complicated to concentrate on studies.
We are still looking into it and may have to look for a different tutor in the future.
Dear Elena,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you do not feel that tuition is proceeding as you would like it to. If you decide you would like to find a replacement tutor, please contact Customer Support and we will help you to find a new tutor at no further cost.

First Tutors
He didn't really listen to what my daughter wanted, she needs exam paper practice and technique not simply to read through the books, her Chemistry teacher does that at college, she has no problems learning it or understanding , just some help applying this knowledge to certain exam questions.

We shall cancel any further lessons with the tutor.
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out with your tutor. We didn't receive an email from you so were unable to help.I will send you one now so that you can claim another tutor free of charge. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

First Tutors.
Some tutors have too many good reviews in a short while. Makes you doubt the all good reviews.

Some tutors agree time and date before purchasing their details, then change their mind after you have paid and it’s too late.
Makes you loose confidence.
Dear Helmy,

Thank you for your feedback. We see that you have posted 5 positive feedback ratings for tutors over the past so we hope this means you had a positive experience with tutors you found on First Tutors. I can reassure you that all feedback comments and ratings come from genuine, verified FT users.

If you have recently experienced a problem with a tutor please do let us know, we are here to help.

First Tutors.
Hi I found First tours is really good starting point there is no doubt on it. however it is very early to give proper feedback on First Tutors, one thing so far i found is the fee charged by them, I am looking for couple of tutors for two of my boys and end up paying lot to first tutors. As I am not sure about the tutor's quality before hand i am bit afraid to use more first tutor service any more, otherwise I am okay
Dear Jay,

Thank you for your feedback. Tutees can discuss their requirements in as much detail as they want with the tutor before paying our introduction fee. I can see that you have been in communication with our customer service team who have explained the procedure should a tutor turn out to not be up to standard. Please do let us know if you have any further queries.

Customer Service Team
You pay $10 to get a contact to a tutor...then you take it from there. Fairly general...I think fees are high for list sharing. However I will say I found a tutor via this platform.
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors' introduction fee. This fee covers security checks on our tutors which we think are important for safety and peace of mind.
Ease of use on the site is good. However the cost to gain a tutors details is high if you consider you may not be able to come to any mutual time agreed or you decide after one session they are not suitable. You will then be charged again to get details of another tutor.
Dear Clare,

Thank you for your feedback. We do ask that tutors and tutees discuss mutually agreeable dates and times for tuition, to ensure that both parties are happy before choosing to proceed. I have just sent you an email now explaining how, if you find your tutor is not a good match for you, you can chose a replacement tutor at no further cost.

First Tutors
Ravi is a punctual and trustworthy tutor. But my daughter did not click with him.
I wish him well.
Dear Timar,
I am sorry to hear that your chosen tutor was not suitable. I can see that a customer service representative has already been in contact with you regarding this and has given advice on how to choose a replacement tutor at no further cost.

Please contact us if you have any further questions.
First Tutors
A bit pricey for a website that aims to help students, and the website is kind of awkward to use but other than that good service
I felt the system was too restrictive and also not quantitative to use. I paid €20 for a tutor who won't travel, granted I should have spotted this in his profile but it wasn't totally obvious to me and now I feel I have wasted €20. This is such a fundamental issue, from a child welfare perspective I would not send my son to a strangers house, that I think it needs more prominence.
Dear David,
Thank you for your feedback. I see you didn't contact us about your problem so were unable to help. I will send you an email now so that you can choose another tutor.

First Tutors.
I was asked to write the review by admin as i discussed following with admin:
I don't normally like to complain but on this occasion, I felt it was unfair-
I had one tutor contact information released one week ago so I paid £25. She came for the first lesson and charged £40 and agreed to proceed with everything as discussed. We made the plan and next 2 days she tells us she cannot continue bc of change in circumstances. We offered any possible solutions such as a change in time, day etc so basically we wasted £70 which was fine but it is not our fault that we have to find another tutor. I feel it is unfair that I am paying again £25 for contact info then again the same cycle.

> If we would have cancelled tutor i am happy to pay as many time as required but i feel this unfair that tutor changed mind for which i have to pay.
I must also say when i wrote above complaint to admin their repsose was really nice and very prompt with an attempt to help me and resolve the issue.
Dear Sobia,

Thank you for your feedback. I see that our team were in contact with you about your tutor and have offered you another tutor free of charge. Please contact us again if you need further help.

First Tutors.
I don't like the idea of paying a registration/administration fee before the first consultation with the tutor. In my opinion I am paying an extortionate amount -registration fee and for the first hour before I know if the tutor is acceptable. They are they are going to earn enough for attendances without me having to pay for what could be an incompetent tutor that doesn't meet my needs.
The tutor should pay for the fees
Dear Niamh,

I'm sorry that you are dissatisfied with the First Tutors service and we want to do our best to put this situation right. We offer a tutor guarantee, so if in the unlikely event you are unsatisfied with your chosen tutor- simply contact us and we can advise how to leave feedback and choose a replacement at no further cost. Due to Employment Agency regulations we are unable to charge tutors for finding work.
Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in contact and our support team will do our best to help you.
First Tutors
I think it’s a good idea but it’s bad that you have to pay to release someone’s details before you know if they are a good tutor. You don’t get much information about them up front
Dear Christine,
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors' introduction fee. We take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. Please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we will be happy to clarify what the introduction fee covers.
First Tutors
It should be made clearer on your website that you require a fee to release tutor details - I didn't realise this until I reached the stage where I wanted to go ahead with booking a lesson.
Dear Jenny,

Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry that you didn't realise there was an introduction fee which covers our security checks on tutors. This is displayed on our homepage and when you make a request. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously.

First Tutors
I am afraid I do not agree on the cost of it, I think it is a little to expensive just to exchange information.
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors' introduction fee. We take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. Please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we'll begin working with you to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible.
Good place to start finding out if there are tutors mear you but a majority of tutors have their own websites! This website charges an extortate amount for just listing tutors and making you pay closr £25 just for "introduction" fee of getting a tutors details. The fee you pay is a fee TO First Tutors, not the tutor for your first lesson. The website could be a lot clearer about this/ easier to understand this. But otherwise, the tutor i found was genuine and wonderful.
Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you found a suitable tutor. Please note that if you have problems with the tutor you can contact us to receive a replacement. The intro fee helps cover the cost of ID checks, reference collection, qualification verification, running of the website, staff etc. This gives peace of mind to our students and parents alike. We do have an advanced search tool that filters by fee, this means that for example if you can only afford 10 pounds per hour the intro fee will be a one off 4.99 only to pay First Tutors.

Please contact us if you have further questions.

First Tutors.
Found this a bit of a long winded process to be honest. Too much back and forth. Much rather just be able to contact the teacher.
Dear Carole,

We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your feedback seriously. Please be assured your comments have been passed on and if you need anything at all please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php

First Tutors
It was easy to locate everything (easy use), however there weren’t many tutors to select from.
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you didn't find the selection of tutors you expected and we are always aiming to increase the numbers on the site. We are happy to see you have managed to acquire a tutor through the site and wish you the best of luck with tuition.

First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,403 reviews