First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
the fee seems weird, and it's difficult to navigate.
Dear Ben,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our introductory fee helps cover the costs of our identity and reference checks, qualification checks, etc. Some agencies charge an additional £10 for every hour a tutor teaches. A tutor that charges £10 per hour will have a one off intro fee of £4.99 but a tutor that charges £40 per hour will have an intro fee of £19.99. (max. fee).

I have sent you an email regarding difficulty in navigating around the site as we would value your feedback.

Kind regards,
Grace
Customer Service Team First Tutors
I have been very happy with First Tutors. They have found me work and been efficient in responding to any problems I have had. I have no complaints.
Thank goodness i found a good tutor because the website was a pain in the neck to navigate. Went through the awful process about 6 months ago so can't remember specifics but generally not user friendly. I've graded them poor and not very poor just because the tutor is excellent.
Dear Rachel,
Thank you for your Feedback. We are glad you managed to find a suitable Tutor.
We're sorry to hear that you did not find our website user friendly. Sadly, as we did not hear from you we were unable to help. We do have a Customer Support Team available 7 days a week who will be able to help with site navigation and any questions you may have.

Kind Regards,
Sarah
First Tutors
Definitely a huge help in learning Dutch !

I really like the fact that she has a clear method and good materials to recommend and follow which I found very effective for a complete beginner. I found her explanations really good and that`s great considering the "nice" grammar of the dutch language which is not that bad after some effort and good guidance :)

She is also very serious regarding timing, never late and if a change in hour or day appears she always gave a long notice and we were able to adapt.

Other good things I would highlight about Tess are a very enthusiastic attitude, a funny person and good at conversations. These characteristics make the lessons enjoyable and have a nice flow.

Nothing negative until now.
Essential information was removed from a message but First Tutors have worked hard to resolve this issue - thank you.
Dear Anna,

I am sorry to read your review. I have looked into this matter for you and unfortunately we have not received your email so we were unable to help. Our customer support team work seven days a week and will always respond to customer enquiries promptly (usually within the hour).

Please be assured that your messages have correctly sent to your potential students. When you send messages containing numbers, it is often flagged to our moderation team for security, to ensure that personal details are not being shared. Our moderation team work quickly to white-list any incorrectly blocked content and I can see in this case it was done within the minute.

I hope this issue is now resolved for you, however I have sent a further follow up email this afternoon to help answer any further questions you may have.

Kind Regards,

First Tutors
A client made slanderous comments about myself saying that I had never provided feedback. I had at least five emails and three pieces of assessed work submitted in a three month window as evidence to the contrary. First Tutors refused to remove the rating even though what was being said was factually inaccurate and portrayed me in a very poor light putting my professional reputation at risk of being besmirched by one unreasonable and odious individual.

In response to the reply from First Tutors below the only way that First Tutors 'worked with me' was to say that I needed to contact the individual myself and to ignore a question I asked and several messages, First Tutors themselves refused to intervene in any way. I explained that the man was clearly unreasonable and somewhat unhinged (as evidenced by receiving a very long text message from him on a Sunday morning, another at 6:59 a.m. two days after this and another at 7:20 a.m. another day after this) and I was very reluctant to be in contact with him again. Consequently I had to spend my time receiving harassing, aggressive emails. When asked for a contact at First Tutors they refused to give me the name of a person who I could talk to. When I also showed the aggressive emails received from the individual to First Tutors and explained they would need to have a duty of care to their tutors working for them as this individual would probably repeat his past behaviour with another tutor and subject them to harassment, they refused to have him taken off their books.

As far as I can work out First Tutors operate out of a portable cabin in Preston. There are no details of any of the staff who work there or a management structure. Please, please avoid if you are thinking of advertising as a tutor with them. This seems to be a common consesus of other tutors who have been associated with them if you care to scroll through the comments here on Trustpilot.
Good morning
I booked Mr Paul, English literature
(AS level ) tutor to teach 1-2-1 my daughter at her care home, he came in drunk condition. My daughter and her care officer made objection, then he left and asking money, I don't know he doesn't take lessons and he is asking money.
He doesn't realise this is out of ethics to be a drunk at work place.
If you need any witness, you can confirm with the care officer and also with the recorded camera.
Now if I want another English tutor, can you please adjust administration fee £24.99 paid and disclose details of other English Tutor.
I already booked 3 others tutors from your company.
Best wishes
Abdullah khan
Dear Abdullah,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your tutor but sadly we were unable to help because you didn't notify us at the time. I have now sent you an email explaining the procedure to claim another tutor free of charge. Please look out for that email and get back to us when you wish to go ahead with another tutor.

Kind regards
Sara
Customer Service Team
First Tutors.
Unfortunately having paid the introductory fee, the tutor then cancelled the arrangement and I am still waiting for First tutors to contact me regarding this.
Dear Julia,

Thank you for your feedback.

We received your email notifying us about the problem with your tutor on the 24.02.2017 at 09:47 and we responded the same date at 10:01 and again at 10:48 explaining how to leave feedback on the tutor’s profile to be able to claim another tutor at no further cost. Yet another email was sent on the 25.02.2017 at 09:10

Please could you check your spam/junk folders. We trust that you have now received our emails.

Kind regards
Sara
Customer Service Team
First Tutors
I don't like the website
this is the third time I have used First Tutors and each time I have found someone who meets my requirements so I am very pleased.
First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,405 reviews