First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
Could you please explain the situation when you have blocked messages because i was very confused and fustrated with that
Vetting of tutors needs to be more thorough.
One of the tutors did not reply for days and then had the cheek to request money from me.
Dear Keggie,

Thank you for your feedback. You contacted us about your tutor and we gave you another tutor free of charge. We hope that your experience with your second tutor is satisfactory.

First Tutors
Hi, when I first used your website I was able to search for a tutor offering the service I was after. When I thought it wasn't going to work out with the person I selected, I tried to find another tutor. I was no longer able to access tutors listed with you and make a selection but had to make an enquiry. This was not an improvement.
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems finding a tutor on our site. When you perform a search on our site all you need to do is enter your requirements to bring up a list of suitable tutors. You can then contact as many as you want.

If you ever have any problems at all you can always email us at the follow address: https://www.firsttutors.com/new-zealand/contact-us.php

First Tutors
The system is a bit clunky and needs revising - but it does work and I did find a tutor. Whoever wrote the system needs to test it in a real world environment to find the bugs - especially with the messaging.
Dear Reinhard,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're very glad you have found a tutor through our site. You will be pleased to hear that First Tutors' new website is currently under development and that I have passed your concerns on.

First Tutors
Would have been a higher rating but think a £25 fee is extortionate. Should be a smaller more nominal fee.
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your feedback.

The intro fee is based on the tutor's hourly rate and ranges from 4.99 if you can only afford to pay 10 pounds per hour for tuition up to 25.99 maximum if the hourly rate is in the high range. The intro fee helps cover the costs of ID verifications, qualification verification, reference collection, running of the website, staff etc.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

First Tutors
Each page have different state tutors. Should put VIC, NSW, QLD ... etc different state tutors seperate to different page, make people easy to find tutors in our state.
Dear Jackie,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you found the presentation of the tutors in the search listings to be confusing.

To clarify for you: if you search by location or postcode for face to face tuition, you will only see tutors who are in the correct location, or within a limited travel distance. However, where you search for online tuition, you will see a list of tutors who are in many locations (different states), as we do not anticipate that location is a factor when searching for an online tutor.

I am pleased to see that you have recently connected with an online tutor, and hope that all is going well. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team.

First Tutors
Communication is irregular and I find it disappointing as the tutors cancel just before we agree on day and time
Dear Favour,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you have found the communication process with tutors to be irregular. Both tutors and students are all sent an immediate email alert when a new message has been added in to a tuition request, and we always hope that both parties will respond to messages promptly.

Whilst you are discussing requirements in the messages, prior to paying our introduction fee, I am afraid the tutor's availability can change as they take on new students. However, at the point that you have agreed a date and time and the tutor has accepted your request, they are committed to providing tuition to you and must reserve that slot for you.

We have a dedicated Customer Support team working 7 days a week to help you with any issues you may have. I will send you a follow up email now to check that all is going well with your new tutor and to offer any assistance you may need.

First Tutors
The tutor I booked to work with was quite low standard and ineffective. We employed him to coach science, it was very basic and he seemed to only talk about the scoring in the past papers which anyone can see. He had the necessary references and reviews but was not at all motivational or even knowledgeable. I accept the First Tutors are not responsible for the level of coaching but think the required £24.99 to connect is a rip-off if the tutor is not up to standard. Hoping you can help to resolve this.
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with your tutor; I appreciate that this is very frustrating for you.

I can see that you have contacted Customer Support about this issue today, and that our team have explained how you can select a replacement tutor at no further cost. Hopefully we will be able to connect you to a suitable alternative tutor to help you.

We will continue to be in contact with you by email to ensure that we can resolve this matter positively for you.

First Tutors
I was unable to view the tutors reviews untill I paid the fee and had no information regarding the tutors referees available to me to contact and judge if I wanted to hire the tutor. I wasn't sure if I was being scammed and felt vulnerable.
Dear Evelyn,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very glad to see you have managed to obtain a tutor you are happy with.

Our fees help cover the cost of reference checks on all of our registered tutors. This offers peace of mind to our parents. The references are sent to you when you pay the introduction fee, but if you are struggling to locate them please do get in touch.

Sadly we don't allow tutees to meet their tutors prior to paying our introduction fee as many tutees would not return to pay the site. We ask tutees and tutors to discuss everything in as much detail as possible before paying the fee. If there is every any problem with your tutor please do email us and we'll help you locate another free of charge.

First Tutors
Not the easiest site to work around and it's not clear from the onset you are NOT in touch with artist until much further into the process. We're not ALL whiz kids.....
Dear Maggee,

Information surrounding our fees is displayed across various pages of the website. However, I will ensure your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to see if this can be made clearer throughout the process to avoid similar discrepancies in the future.

If you would like to discuss this in further detail, please contact our support team enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk and we will be happy to assist you.

First Tutors
I did find a tutor for my child, However, I was not initially aware of a charge for the service! That came as a shock when I had to pay to get the contact details of the tutor. I shan’t be using the sight again.
Dear Ian,

Thank you for your feedback. Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors. This offers peace of mind to our parents.

First Tutors
Overall site is a great idea, but the charge of 20 e for use it , is too much. I think the costs should be split 50/50 between tutor and the students.
Dear Justyna,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. First Tutors charges students an introductory fee to connect with their chosen tutor. We only ask for this fee once you have discussed your requirements and are happy to go ahead. Our fees help cover the cost of reference and identity checks on all of our registered tutors for peace of mind.

Unfortunately, we cannot charge tutors for finding work as part of Employment Agencies Regulations.

If you would like to read how our fees differ to traditional agencies, you can do so here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

I wish you the best of luck with your Accountancy lessons. If you need any help or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. ireland@firsttutors.com

First Tutors
The method of buying the contact info wasn't clear.
Was detailed as £4.99 - £14.99 - tutor said it was £5 .... wasn't impressed to see i was being charged £14.99
The site is NOT clear and the way the price was decided was no where to be seen.
From that side not at all pleased.

As regards tutor - don't start until next week so couldn't tell you!
Dear Jacqui,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you found the way our site worked not at all clear. We do state on our homepage, how to find a tutor page and the top of each request that there is an introduction fee. The introduction fee is linked to the rate a tutor charges per hour, the more they charge the higher the fee.

Please be assured I have passed this on to our design team to help improve our site.

Customer Service Team
This service is to expensive. There are better ones out there.
Dear Aumran,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you have found our introduction fee to be expensive.

Our one off introduction fee ranges between £4.99 and £24.99; we have a tiered fee structure to make the service as affordable as possible for everyone. Our fees help to cover the cost of completing identity and address checks, and obtaining two references for all our registered tutors, allowing you to choose with confidence. You can read more about how our fees compare with other services at the following link: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

I hope that you will have a successful tuition arrangement with your chosen tutor. If you need any assistance from Customer Support, please do contact us by email.

First Tutors
Everything was good except pay for the information exchange!
Dear Nicholas,

Thank you for your feedback. First Tutors charge a one off payment to connect you with your chosen tutor. This helps cover the cost of reference checks so that you can choose with confidence. Unlike traditional agencies, we do not charge a fee for every hour a tutor teaches.

I hope that you will have a successful tuition arrangement with your new tutor. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact canada@firsttutors.com and a customer service representative will be in touch.

First Tutors
Intitial fee charged by FirstTutors is way too expensive. Location services on website are too restrictive and not accurate which means your choice of Tutor is limited
Dear Chris,
Thank you for your feedback.
We only charge a one off payment to connect you with your tutor. This helps cover the cost of reference and identity checks so that you can choose with confidence. Unlike traditional agencies, we do not charge a fee for every hour a tutor teaches. More information surrounding our fees can be found here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

Regarding the location services, I am not too sure what you are referring to so I pop you an email now so that we can collect further information. We do appreciate feedback about the user experience.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk and a customer service representative will be in touch.
Did eventually link us with a tutor
Dear Tommy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, I am glad to see you have successfully found a suitable tutor. We do always reccomend contacting a number of tutors to engage in discussions, as this helps increase your chances in finding a suitable match.

We aim to offer the best service and I'm sorry to see that you felt your experience was 3 out of 5 stars. Is there anything that we could have done differently to change your experience?

We are always looking at ways to improve and would be happy to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact our customer support team enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk and we will be able to work with you to find a solution.

First Tutors
The service is a middle man that to be honest I could have done on my own when a bit more time on the internet. I feel it's s bit expensive and didn't tell me the cost until I find the tutor.
Dear Mark,

We're sorry to hear that you believe our service is expensive. We do display clearly on the site our introduction fee starts from as little as £4.99 to make tuition accessible for all students. The fee helps cover our security checks on all our tutors. If you would like to contact customer service about this please do. As you're not a verified reviewer we can't trace your purchase history.

Customer Service Team
I wasn’t keen to pay for a tutors contact details before being able to converse with them fully. This charge could be built into fees only once a lesson has been booked.
Dear Neal,

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that if you have a problem with your tutor just contact us so that we can help you find another tutor at no further cost. We want you to have a positive experience with First Tutors.

First Tutors
There is a lack of tutors available that can teach both of the core subjects - Maths and English unfortunately.
Dear Anne Marie,

I am sorry that you have found if difficult to find tutors in your local area that offer tuition at your required level in both Maths and English. If there are no tutors available in your area who offer both then you could consider looking for a tutor who provides online tuition.

I can see that you have recently connected with a tutor who can provide local tuition in Maths and English, so I will send you an email now to check everything is okay with your new tutor.

First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,566 reviews