First Tutors Reviews

Based on 8,417 reviews
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
The tutor who came to my house took my £7 change away because I told her not to come and teache my daughter anymore. My daughter was not happy the way she was teaching her.
Dear Catherine, I are very sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with your tutor. Because you haven't been in contact with Customer Support yet about this we haven't been able to help you. I would like to resolve this matter positively for you, so I will send you an email now explaining how you can connect with a replacement tutor at no further cost. Kind regards, First Tutors
Terrible second experience and a third which I thankfully chose not to pay for! Will never use this site again. Tutor upped his price to £75 this on top of which we needed to travel to him which would take around 45 min. The third tutor was offering to tutor in a cafe as he couldn’t travel and couldn’t have us be tutored at his place. Ridiculous. All together we have spent £125 for first tutor who was a waste of time. Second £25 to release his details just for him to have the cheek to up his fees! Third doesn’t have a means to travel nor a place to tutor!!!! Awful experience. Shouldn’t need to pay £25 to release details of dodgy tutors! They should be charged to have a platform if they are genuine and good tutors then all parents are willing to keep and pay them a fee. We should not be charged to release tutor details who then come and con us out if our money by not even proving themselves worthy! Really cross.
You don't advertise the £7.99 fee part very well so you trick people into signing up. Anyone can put whatever details they want. I paid for someone's details and to see their references and got "friend". How is that a real reference? The teacher was awful as well. I made a complaint and I can't get a refund. I used another FREE site and found a nicer teacher, but I'm still irritated by the fact that I'm not £7.99 out for absolutely nothing. Would never recommend this site. It always amazes me how people make money out of people wanting to improve themselves. I wouldn't mind if it was a minimal amount like £2.50 or something but £7.99 is what I'd pay for an album or something! Totally ridiculous!
Dear Martyn, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We continually attempt to make improvements and changes to our service, to make it as easy as possible for students to find tutors, and for tutors to find new clients. The happiness and well-being of our members is extremely important to us, so I would like to apologise if you felt our fees were unclear. We will be looking at ways to improve the visibility of our fees moving forward and hope this will become more transparent throughout the process. Having looked into this matter for you, I can see that our customer support team have been in contact to help you find a suitable replacement tutor. As we did not receive a response , we were unaware that you still required a refund. Please be assured I have contacted you personally this afternoon with further details. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us music@firsttutors.co.uk and we will be happy to help you. Kind Regards, First Tutors
I tried about 3 tutors in the area of computer science none of the 3 were knowledgeable about the course. The other thing about First Tutors the tutors they just rush the student to buy their details before they can actually confirm if they have very good knowledge to help the student. After all the site is not free to contact the tutors yet their tutors are very poor. There was only 2 tutors who been honest with me to say they were not able to help since they are not knowledgeable in the area.
Dear Nicole, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am very sorry to hear you are disappointed with your 2 tutors that you have purchased through our service. I can see that a member of our customer support team has contacted you regarding this issue, with details on how to choose replacement tutors at no further cost. We hope that this is satisfactory. Please be assured that it is free to contact as many tutors as you would like to discuss your requirements. Only when you are happy with the discussed arrangement do we ask for a fee to receive your tutors contact information. All requests will remain open for 14 days as tutor availability can change often. If you are not ready to make your decision after 14 days please do not worry, our customer support team are able to reopen your requests to give you more time for your discussions. If you ever require any help in using the service, or have further questions you can contact our customer support team ireland@firsttutors.com and we will be happy to help you. Kind Regards, First Tutors
You have to pay money to get contact details of a tutor, but you loose if the tutors turn out to be Hopeless. There should be a money back guarantee if the tutor turns out to be inadequate ! The tutor I paid for turned out to be weird ! and have personal issues. I would recommend people locate tutors by different means.
He never show up. I left a message on his phone, he never answer.
Dear Gisella, Thank you for your feedback. We see that you didn't contact us about your problem so were unable to help. We have a set procedure to claim a free tutor when this kind of problem occurs. I will send you an email now explaining how to go about this. Kind regards Sara Customer Service Team First Tutors.
Clare tutor let me down a day before I was meant to see her ..... I sent her the worksheet to read to help me. She canceled so now I have no help with assignment... Upset and extremely angry.
Dear Revlynne, Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry to hear that your tutor has let you down at such short notice. I can see you haven't been in touch with customer service yet about the issue so have emailed you directly regarding this problem. Kind regards, Customer Service Team First Tutors
Anyone who sends an email an 2:22am, is getting a bad review. It’s not necessary in this day and age!!!
The information supplied on the website was incorrect. I only joined as I was looking for lessons for my child at the weekend or at my home. Once I had joined and contacted the tutor directly I was informed that weekend lessons or lessons at home were not available contrary to the information given on the website.
Dear Michael, I am very sorry to hear that the information provided by your tutor was incorrect and therefore you were unable to proceed with tuition. As you haven't contacted us about this matter we haven't been able to help, but I have just sent you an email now advising how to select a replacement tutor at no further cost. Kind regards, First Tutors
As a tutor I found it impossible to set up appointments with clients due to the censoring of messages. The automated system was blocking out my availability and on one occasion it took more than 20 messages with no resolution. Eventually the client found me on facebook and I found my account blocked for breaking their rules. Totally fed up with them and their unworkable system. In fact, given the option, I wouldn't even give them one star!
Dear Shirley, I'm sorry to read your feedback and want to make this situation right. To clarify, all messages sent via the private forum are monitored by our moderation team. This is to ensure that both parties are correctly using the website and to help users with any difficulties they may face. I can see in this instance, your message thread was flagged because you and your potential client were attempting to find each other via social media. As a result, the messages within the thread were being blocked. We do provide instructions for tutors on how to use the website and offer a support team seven days a week to help with any issues you may face. If you require any further help in using the website or understanding how the messaging system works, please do not hesitate to get in contact. Kind Regards, First Tutors
Dreadful, I would not recommend these services. I was £15 charged to access the tutors details, who I also paid for his time (1 hour). He turned up once and then emailed me the next day to say the distance was too far for him to travel (2 miles). Im out of pocket and my daughter doesnt have a tutor. All in all a terrible experience. Don't get caught out like I did!
Dear Victoria, I am very sorry to hear that you have been let down by your tutor, and do appreciate your concerns. I can see that you haven't contacted us about this so we haven't been able to help you. I will send you an email now to explain how you can find a replacement tutor at no further cost. Kind regards, First Tutors
After charging us an exorbitant amount for a few lessons, the tutor suddenly disappeared and never made contact again. It is indeed very disappointing that First Tutors have such tutors on its system and are actively marketing their profiles, leading customers to believe that the teachers on the system are trustworthy and committed to the profession. It was a waste of time and money, and we are now too late to find another tutor for our son.
I spend time researching an A Level tutor for my daughter. When I found one that had experience in the subject required we spent a week enduring back and forth answering questions the tutor wanted answers to, which I thought was very thorough of him. We finally agreed a time and the hourly rate and period of 1 hour session was agreed. We were all set to go!!!! Or so I thought! Within a couple of hours of me purchasing his details from First Tutors he emailed me asking could he do 2 hour session instead at £25ph and if I wasn’t happy with this would I contribute to his petrol money?!!!! I felt conned as we had already agreed it was one hour on a particular day at my house. I then contacted First Tutors and explained everything that had happened and asked for the £19.99 detail purchase to be refunded! They said I’d need to leave feedback first then let the tutor give his feedback on me before a decision could be made on a refund.
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with the tutor you acquired via First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. I can see that customer support have outlined our complaints procedure and are working with you to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible. We look forward to speaking with you and again apologise for your experience.
I’m so upset by the whole experience I didn’t know I had to pay $10 to speak to one person and I was in desperate need of help and the guy I got was little help and gave me wrong information with my essay help...times every minute and spent most of the valuable $60 talking about obvious stuff I already knew. My essay he pulled apart and handed it in and it was misinformed info he gave me so I failed the essay and lost $70 I’m so so so angry 😡
Dear Vanessa, Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. I can see you have already contacted customer service who have been happy to clarify the service we provide and to help leave feedback regarding your tutor. Kind regards, Customer Service Team First Tutors
I send a few requests to your tutors I never got any reply
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. Please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we'll begin working with you to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible.
Hmn just been reading some other negative reviews and it seems that, as an organisation, and despite taking a fee, you take no responsibility for the reliability of the tutor, seeing youselves as merely an intermediary. Unfortunately for you I am married to a lawyer. Expecting my refund.
Dear Clare, We are very sorry that you have been let down by your tutor and we do appreciate how disappointing this is for you. A member of our Customer Services team has already contacted you by email to explain our complaints procedure, and we hope to be able to resolve this matter for you as soon as possible. Kind regards, First Tutors
Lindsay was so helpful, got my daughter on track with her A level History coursework, very pleased, thank you.
Took money for my second lesson even though I had said I would be able to make the lesson as I was stuck in a conference for work. The style of teaching wasn't for me at all.
Dear Dee, We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with your tutor. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. Please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we'll begin working with you to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible. We look forward to speaking with you and again apologise for your experience. Kind regards, First Tutors
Toi expensive to release the details. (Around 25 pounds)
We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors' introduction fee. We take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. Please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we will be happy to clarify what the introduction fee covers.
I was really unimpressed . The tutor I contacted was prompt with reply through the website but the minute I paid for his details it was a different matter. He said I would contact me to arrange a time to come around and meet us I didn't hear anything so I phoned and arranged a time. We waited for half an hour and he didn't turn up so phoned him to have the response 'oh I forgot about that's followed by a chuckle. I don't find my child's education a joke. He said he'd be round in five minutes later fifteen minutes later he still hadn't turned up so we left it. Shouldn't have to pay for contact details as I wouldn't use this tutor now even if he offered free service as he is unreliable and we were really unimpressed.
Dear Angela, Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that your tutor has turned out to be such a disappointment. Please let me assure you that this tutor does not reflect the quality of tutors on our site. I can see you have contacted customer service who have advised how to contact another tutor free of charge. If we can be of any further help or you have any queries please do get in touch. Kind regards, Grace Customer Service Team First Tutors
First Tutors is rated 4.59 based on 8,417 reviews