First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
I hadn’t realised until after I had got in touch with a tutor that you then had to pay to get their details
Dear Emily,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you felt the fee aspect of the service was unclear. First Tutors charge a finder's fee to students/families to receive the contact details of their chosen tutor, once you have discussed all your requirements with as many tutors as you like on the free messaging platform. This information is displayed across various pages of our service.

Our one off introduction fee ranges between £4.99 and £24.99; we have a tiered fee structure to make the service as affordable as possible for everyone. We also offer a tutor satisfaction guarantee, so if you were matched with a tutor and it didn’t work out, we will help you connect with a replacement tutor at no further cost.

You can read more about how our fees compare with other services at the following link: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/.

The First Tutors introduction fee helps to cover the cost of completing identity and address checks, and obtaining two references for all our registered tutors, so that you can choose a tutor with confidence.

Once again, I am sorry that you have been dissatisfied. We have a dedicated Customer Support team who work 7 days a week and will be happy to answer any questions you have about our service. You can contact us at: enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk.
while there are a lot of tutors available for tutoring most of them are not very fluent in the topics one needs to be totured on and that will lead easily to more than 1hour session because they either don't remember how to do the topic anymore or poor internet conexion.
Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased that, despite a few dead ends with tutors not being able to meet your needs, you have matched with the tutor and I wish you success with your new tuition arrangement. If you require any assistance with this or any other matter, please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Support team and we will be happy to help.

First Tutors
Whilst First Tutors site was relatively easy to use I found it difficult to locate a choice of local tutors. There was only 1. The others were typically 30 or more miles away even in different counties. The company were quick to take their finders fee well before the lessons were confirmed and then through no fault of her own the tutor has to go to hospital and I am now left with no tuition despite having paid the fee. I hope in the longer term it does work out but I am still waiting.
Dear Jan,

Thank you for your feedback.

We do apologise if you found us pushy in asking you to pay our finder's fee. We recommend this is only paid once you have discussed times, dates and the rough location where tuition will take place so you and the tutor are sure you are the correct fit.

We are sorry to hear that your tutor has had to go to hospital. Customer service have reached out to you via email to explain the next steps as we would hate for you to be without a tutor.

First Tutors
Found site easily enough and chose a tutor, long delays in between messages, didn't seem to work as smoothly as we thought. price ok.
awaiting first arranged appointment with tutor
Dear Graham,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that the process of messaging with your chosen tutor was not as smooth as you might have hoped. We aim to provide a user friendly and streamlined service and am sorry this has not entirely been your experience.

I understand that it can be frustrating to have to wait for the tutor to reply to your messages on the forum, especially as we send the tutor an immediate alert to the tutor each time that you add a new message.

I am pleased that, despite some delays, you have matched with the tutor and I wish you success with your new tuition arrangement. If you require any assistance with this or any other matter, please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Support team and we will be pleased to help.

First Tutors
I don't feel your introduction fees are reasonable, it is unfair particularly as after introduction you may not end up with a successful establishment of a teacher.
Dear Rhian,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our introduction fee ranges between £4.99 and £24.99; we have a tiered fee structure to make the service as affordable as possible for everyone. Our fees help to cover the cost of completing identity and address checks, and obtaining two references for all our registered tutors, allowing you to choose with confidence. You can read more about how our fees compare with other services at the following link: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

I hope that you have had a successful tuition arrangement with your chosen tutor. In case you haven't Customer Services have sent you an email explaining the next steps.

Terrible website/interface .. but I got what I wanted
Dear Philip,

Thank you for your feedback, your comments have been passed on to our development team who are working on redeveloping the First Tutors sites.

We are glad that you have managed to find a tutor through the site.

First Tutors
I've found what I was looking for however I feel it was quite costly. I wanted to be able to meet my potential tutor before agreeing to tutoring so have ended up paying for two sets of details.
Dear Jenny,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you have found our introduction fee to be expensive.

We don't allow tutees to meet tutors prior to paying our introduction fee as many would not return to pay our fee. Do let us know which tutor you do not use so that we can refund you the extra payment. I hope that you will have a successful tuition arrangement with your chosen tutor.

First Tutors
I had a bad experience with this website. for the price that I was charged to receive contact details the quality of tutor was to near my expectation. In fact my tutor had to refund me as he couldn't help me but I still paid £24 for his phone number?! Expensive and wrong set up for the users.
Dear Aneta,

Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry to hear your tutor has not been able to help. If you ever have any issues with a tutor please do email us. I have now emailed you directly indicating what you need to do to obtain another tutor free of charge.

Our introduction fee ranges between £4.99 and £24.99; we have a tiered fee structure to make the service as affordable as possible for everyone. Our fees help to cover the cost of completing identity and address checks, and obtaining at least two references for all our registered tutors, allowing you to choose with confidence. You can read more about how our fees compare with other services at the following link: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

First Tutors
Out tutor Claire McManus is fantastic, however I think having to pay £20 just to get her details is overpriced and exploitative.
Dear Lanah,

I hope that you will have a successful tuition arrangement with your chosen tutor. If you need any assistance from Customer Support, please do contact us by email.

First Tutors
I think the intro fee is expensive especially for tutors that are only available short term or if you require more than one subject tutor.
Dear Laura,

First Tutors
One Tutor after replying and then asking to swap details never replied to my emails again. Som it was just as well I didn't pay for her details until I heard more from her or this would have cost me about £25 for nothing.. Would you have reimbursed me if I had paid for her details but never heard from her again.. ThIs seems a bit of a scam.

Another tutor I contacted and paid to swap details (and have used once so far) was not sent my details ?

I look forward to your response .

Thanks,
John
Dear John,

We are very sorry to hear there have been problems with finding tutors through our site. We absolutely would refund any fee that you paid should the tutor have not made contact. I can see you have successfully found two tutors through the site, but do get in touch should either of them let you down.

Under GDPR we cannot forward your contact information to a tutor without your permission. This is why we ask you to get in touch with them once you have paid our introduction fee.

If you ever have any issues on the site we are always available to contact at enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk

Customer Service Team
I did find the process quite lengthy as several stages to go through to actually get to what you needed.

Also felt that the introductory charges were vague, ranging from £4.99- £24.99. I needed to pay the £24.99 but don't quite know why?
Dear Julie,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that you found the process of finding a tutor unnecessarily lengthy. The introduction fee varies according to how much a tutor charges per hour. We believe this means there is a range of tutors on the site to suit all budgets. The fee itself covers the cost of identity checks on all our tutors and security on the site in order to offer peace of mind to students and their parents/guardians.

If you have any further queries do get in touch at enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk

First Tutors
Unfortunately, in my position where I need to learn the language quickly for a trip out to Germany in July, having a one-to-one session once a week ( can't afford more) is not going to work. I need daily practice and will find this through the internet. I will not be using First Tutors
Great tutors but closing the connection automatically by First Tutors led to a lot more difficulty concluding conversations with tutors I had contacted. I had to send repeat requests over and over.
Dear Rebecca,

I am delighted to hear that you have found a great tutor through the First Tutors service, I wish you the best of luck with your lessons.

I am sorry to see that you had difficulties with your tuition requests closing. All requests will close by default after 14 days, this is because tutor availability can change often.

Our support team are able to extend your request opening if you still need time, all you need to do is contact enquiries@firsttutors.com

Kind Regards,
First Tutors
The principle underpinning this website is excellent, but the website itself is not particularly user-friendly and it is difficult to navigate and also to know how to proceed to the next stage in the process.
Dear Helen,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you found the website difficult to navigate, we aim to offer a user friendly service.

If you are ever having difficulties in using the website, we have a customer support team working seven days a week to help you with any of your questions and concerns.

I have sent you an email this morning to better understand the problems you have faced so that we can improve.

Kind Regards,
First Tutors
Could you please explain the situation when you have blocked messages because i was very confused and fustrated with that
Vetting of tutors needs to be more thorough.
One of the tutors did not reply for days and then had the cheek to request money from me.
Dear Keggie,

Thank you for your feedback. You contacted us about your tutor and we gave you another tutor free of charge. We hope that your experience with your second tutor is satisfactory.

Kind regards
Customer Services
First Tutors
Hi, when I first used your website I was able to search for a tutor offering the service I was after. When I thought it wasn't going to work out with the person I selected, I tried to find another tutor. I was no longer able to access tutors listed with you and make a selection but had to make an enquiry. This was not an improvement.
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems finding a tutor on our site. When you perform a search on our site all you need to do is enter your requirements to bring up a list of suitable tutors. You can then contact as many as you want.

If you ever have any problems at all you can always email us at the follow address: https://www.firsttutors.com/new-zealand/contact-us.php

First Tutors
The system is a bit clunky and needs revising - but it does work and I did find a tutor. Whoever wrote the system needs to test it in a real world environment to find the bugs - especially with the messaging.
Dear Reinhard,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're very glad you have found a tutor through our site. You will be pleased to hear that First Tutors' new website is currently under development and that I have passed your concerns on.

First Tutors
Would have been a higher rating but think a £25 fee is extortionate. Should be a smaller more nominal fee.
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your feedback.

The intro fee is based on the tutor's hourly rate and ranges from 4.99 if you can only afford to pay 10 pounds per hour for tuition up to 25.99 maximum if the hourly rate is in the high range. The intro fee helps cover the costs of ID verifications, qualification verification, reference collection, running of the website, staff etc.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards