First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
Was not able to help .
The first trial lesson was meant to be free but now the tutor is asking for the payment for the trial lesson . As far as I know we should not be paying for the first lesson .
Don’t fully rely on the persons bio of themselves as I don’t think it matches up to the person. It’s a shame you can’t meet them first before committing to paying.
Not sure how fully vetted the tutors are by the company as I was disappointed by the tutor we arranged to see.
Dear Helen,

Thank you for your feedback.

I see that you haven't contacted our customer service team to alert us regarding your disappointment with your tutor. We do have a process to follow so that you can obtain another tutor free of charge. We ID check all tutors, collect references and verify qualifications but as tutors are self employed they are responsible for the information they publish on their profiles. I will contact you now via email so we can collect further information and offer you another tutor.

First Tutors.
Two lessons had so far, seems to be ok
The tutor I have found through first tutors is fantastic however trying to navigate the first tutors website & understand the process was not easy. I didn’t find the website intuitive or user friendly, I’d get emails about things to do but then struggled to locate the right page to action it on online. I was using it on my phone which may not have helped though.... get an app?
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your feedback which is very valuable for our team. I will send you an email with a few questions so that we can collect some information on the device, browser etc you are using to navigate the website. If you encounter any further difficulties, please do not hesitate to send us an email so that our customer service team can help.

First Tutors.
It was difficult to find a tutor at the start at the subheading for cancer science was only under biology. It was annoying because when my tutor request had expired I couldn’t just re search for that same tutor I either had to look through all the tutors again until I released I could go into old tutor requests and click on their profile and message. I don’t like that you need to pay to have the tutors details because you don’t really know if that tutor is going to be good for you. This happened to myself, I paid the £25 and the tutor couldn’t help at all. They should really make it that if you take a lesson with the tutor you should through the website and at that time pay the company to use that tutor. I wasted money with the system they have. Also charging £25 is a ridiculous amount as tutors generally charge £40 upwards so you’re spending a lot at one time. The tutor I have been using is good but I’m not happy with the upfront payment for details.
Dear Nina,

I am very sorry to read your comments. Unfortunately, we have not heard from you regarding this problem so have been unable to help.

Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors and the fee payable is displayed in the header of the request. We only ask for this payment once you have discussed your requirements in full and you are happy to go ahead with tuition. Further information surrounding our fees can be read here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us.php

I have sent you an email this afternoon, with further information on how we can offer you a replacement tutor at no further charge.

First Tutors
Although good for looking at music teachers available I do not feel that the £7.99 introduction fee that is payable as a client was made clear. I was looking for lessons for my wife, as part of a present l, and had they been for myself I would not have proceeded because of the introduction fee which I feel was not covered clearly enough.
Dear Derek,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to give your feedback about your experiences as a client using the site. We are always keen to hear suggestions as to how the customer experience can be improved for our clients.

I am very sorry that you have not seen the information on the website that we charge a finder's fee to connect you with a chosen tutor. We explain on the main Music home page https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/music/about-us.php that there is a fee payable. The £7.99 finders fee is also displayed in the header of each request and is displayed next to the tutor’s hourly rate.

I am very sorry to hear that you feel this information was not made clear enough to you whilst you used the site. I will certainly ensure that your comments are passed on to the site developers to see if we can make the fee aspect more explicit.

I hope that all is going well with your new tutor. If you need any assistance please contact our Customer Support team by email and we will be pleased to assist you.

First Tutors
First lesson was cancelled . Tutor appropriately informed few days before as she was relocating to other city.
Dear Abdul,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear that your tutor is relocating and appreciate this is frustrating for you.

I can see that you have contacted our Customer Support team about this and we have offered you the opportunity to connect with a replacement tutor with no further finder's fee. As soon as you have found your replacement tutor on the site, please contact us by email and we will be pleased to provide their contact details free of charge.

We look forward to hearing from you when you are ready to proceed.

First Tutors
Easy to use with swift support from the admin tam. However, it works out pricey when an initial consultation is payable and then found to be not suitable.
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your feedback. We only charge a one off payment to connect you with your tutor. This helps cover the cost of reference and identity checks so that you can choose with confidence. Unlike traditional agencies, we do not charge a fee for every hour a tutor teaches. More information surrounding our fees can be found here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

If your tutor lets you down or you feel that they are not suitable, we ask that you leave feedback on the tutor's profile explaining your reasons. We then offer you another tutor free of charge.

If you need further clarification, please don't hesitate to contact our customer service team.

First Tutors.
Wasn’t clear on website that you had to buy the tutors details. Needs clearer instructions for first time users.
Dear Christina,

Thank you for your feedback on the visibility of our fee on the First Tutors Ireland site. Although there is information on the site to explain the fee aspect of our service, I do appreciate you felt this was not prominent enough and I am sorry that this negatively affected your experience of finding your tutor.

We are always keen to hear from users of the site as to how their experience could have been improved, so thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on this aspect of the service.

I hope that you have a successful tuition arrangement with your new tutor. If you need any assistance please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Service team and we will be pleased to help you.

First Tutors
The tutor I had arranged for my son and paid the Finder Fee for, has now withdrawn before we'd even met. I have spent hours finding a tutor and am most disappointed that I am back to square one.
Dear Jo,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that tuition did not proceed as planned. We do require our tutees to inform us when tuition doesn't go to plan, so we know there is an issue and can endeavour to resolve it. Customer Services have sent you an email explaining the next steps.

If we can be of any further help please do get in touch.

First Tutors
Average service for this particular request.
Dear Marjorie,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you have some dissatisfaction with the service you have received. As we have not received any correspondence from you to indicate a concern, I will contact you now by email to see if we can resolve any issues you may have had.

First Tutors
I wasn't aware I needed to pay to obtain the information about the tutors. I think that aught to be pointed out at the beginning. I am a dance instructor and am connected to a couple of sites for people looking for tuition - there is no charge either to me as tutor or the potential student.
Dear Garry,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you have missed seeing the information on the First Tutors Music site that we charge a £7.99 finder’s fee to connect you with your chosen tutor.

Our fees help to cover the cost of completing identity and address checks and obtaining two references for all of our registered tutors, allowing you to choose with confidence. You can read more about how our fees compare with other services at the following link.

I hope that you will have a successful tuition arrangement with your new tutor. If you need any assistance from Customer Support, our team work 7 days a week and are very happy to help with any enquiries you may have.

First Tutors
I found a good tutor through First Tutors, and would use them again. However, they should be clearer about their payment model: you pay to 'release' a tutor's details. The tutor I chose offered a 'free' first lesson to offset the cost of this, but many tutors don't.
Dear Ebba,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are delighted to hear you have found a good tutor through our service and wish you the very best with your lessons.

Our introduction fee ranges between £4.99 and £24.99; we have a tiered fee structure to make the service as affordable as possible for everyone. Our fees help to cover the cost of completing identity and address checks, and obtaining two references for all our registered tutors, allowing you to choose with confidence. You can read more about how our fees compare with other services at the following link: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

If you have any further questions surrounding this, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly support team enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk and we will be happy to help.

First Tutors
Tutor Samantha is very patient and understanding.
Always ready to repeat any part of her tuition as and when needed.
Samantha is approachable and knows her subject exceptionally well.

I would highly recommend her tuition.
Having clearly identified my areas of weakness, l found that my first session reviewed areas l already knew. The teaching style was more about being told what to do not why it had to be done. This would have enabled greater learning and understanding. Resources were taken from the website, which l had already accessed. Not sure this was value for money at £27 per lesson and finders fee of £19.99.
Dear Trish,

We are very sorry to hear about this and understand your reason for concern. Unfortunately, we have not heard from you regarding this matter so have been unable to help. Our customer support team work seven days a week and will be happy to help answer any questions or concerns.

I have sent you an email this morning so that we can resolve this promptly for you.

Frist Tutors
Some tutors won’t want any contact
Dear Sophie,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with your experience.

I can see that you have purchased the contact details of some tutors recently, but cannot see any correspondence from you to indicate that you have had a problem. We have a Customer Service team working from 8am - 7pm, 7 days a week to assist you with any problems you might have.

We do want you to be completely satisfied with your experience and your tutors so I will send you a follow up email now to see how we can help to and resolve any problems you have had.

First Tutors
I found communication from the messaging system quite difficult and delays in the response time. No contact number to call. Also found delays as not able to contact as needed
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your feedback. First Tutors has a customer support team working seven days a week to help answer any questions you may have. You can contact us on enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk, our team will respond quickly.

I am sorry to hear you found the messaging system difficult. We aim to make the experience user friendly and we would like to discuss this with you further to see if any improvements can be made.

I have contacted you on your email address this morning to address the issues raised in your feedback.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

First Tutors
I found the web site confusing.With a phone number I could have found a tutor myself without having to pay any fees.
Dear David,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that you found our site confusing, we rely on customer feedback to know where we are going wrong and really do value this.

We are glad to see you have found a tutor on our site and wish you all the best with tuition.

You can contact us at anytime at the following email address if you have a problem: music@firsttutors.co.uk

First Tutors
It’s bit too early to say any thing . Need bit off time to know her ,
First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,564 reviews