First Tutors Reviews

2,514 Reviews

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2013, 96% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Robert S
Robert S
Verified Reviewer

I found First Tutors very easy to use I had struggled to find Russian tuition and within a few hours I was signed up and my first session booked it was that simple.
Thank you.
Maria J
Maria J
Verified Reviewer

In my case First Tutors was very helpful. I didn't know anyone who could help choose my tutor and the website gave me variety of them woth different prices, age and qualifications. Also cause I travel to tutor the fact that I contacted him via First Tutors made me feel saver.
Aoife K
Verified Reviewer

Absolutely brilliant website found an excellent tutor within the week. Had multiple replies in one day. Brilliant
Marjory I
Verified Reviewer

It was easy to state what you needed the tutor for. The results of the search were relevant and there was sufficient choice regarding price, location, experience. The details about the tutors gave enough information to select the ones best suited to individual needs.

Only problem was at the bottom of the screen where you send the initial contact request to the tutor. It was asking if you wanted to close it and all request would be lost. - wasn't sure of the purpose of it.

Generally very good website.
Claire M
Verified Reviewer

I have found the First Tutors website to be very quick, efficient and easy to use. I would definitely recommend!
Harrison H
Verified Reviewer

Found me a tutor very quickly communication excellent
Neil P
Verified Reviewer

FirstTutors have a decent amount of maths and physics tutors, mostly on the budget side. I imagine this is because many seem to be new tutors who do not have much reviewer reputation yet. This is a good place for a bargain if you are willing to take a risk - I got a cheap, new tutor who is doing a fab job. If a tutor has a bad review, it is counted but not displayed - rather irresponsible if you ask me. I came out a winner this time, with a great tutor, but I wouldn't be surprised if many parents come away disappointed.

FT has a largely passive model - they don't seem to do much in actively vetting tutors, no DBS is required to be listed even. They do not help punters find a match either, with limited, web-based search facilities and no personal interaction.
FT seem to earn their fee for not much effort from their end. The fee structure (2017) is also a bit annoying - £20 for one tutor or £25 for multiple tutors. Most people will only need one but he/she turns out naff you would have to stump out another £20 for a replacement.

In conclusion I'd say it is a good site for a tutor if you are on a budget and willing to take a little gamble. It worked for me.
Dear Neil,

Thank you for your feedback.

The private tuition industry in the UK is not regulated which is why private tutors are not obliged to have a DBS certificate. However, many private tutors are also teachers employed at schools and do have a DBS certificate so if they claim to have one we advise you request to see it on the first meeting together with photo ID too. First Tutors conduct identity checks on all tutors, we also request two references per tutor.

We do indeed provide personal interaction when needed, send us an email and you will receive a prompt response (7 days a week) from our customer service team who help not just with complaints but any technical difficulties you may encounter during the request process.

The intro fee is based on the tutor’s hourly rate (from 4.99 to 24.99) so there is an affordable fee for most people. (eg. if you can only afford 10 pounds per hour tutoring the intro fee will only be 4.99) There isn’t a one off fee to release an unlimited amount of tutor contact details.

Please be assured that there is no gamble. If it does not work out with the tutor, we ask that you leave feedback on the tutor’s profile expressing your disappointment, we then offer you another tutor’s contact details free of charge. All you need to do is let us know via email.

We are delighted to hear that you are satisfied with your tutor - just click the “contact us” tab at the bottom of the webpage if you need assistance of any kind.

Kind regards
Customer Service Team
First Tutors
Sara

Shakirah A

Excellent service. Will use First tutors again
Julia H
Verified Reviewer

Unfortunately having paid the introductory fee, the tutor then cancelled the arrangement and I am still waiting for First tutors to contact me regarding this.
Dear Julia,

Thank you for your feedback.

We received your email notifying us about the problem with your tutor on the 24.02.2017 at 09:47 and we responded the same date at 10:01 and again at 10:48 explaining how to leave feedback on the tutor’s profile to be able to claim another tutor at no further cost. Yet another email was sent on the 25.02.2017 at 09:10

Please could you check your spam/junk folders. We trust that you have now received our emails.

Kind regards
Sara
Customer Service Team
First Tutors
Sara J
Verified Reviewer

A very useful website which helped me to find an excellent tutor for my daughter.
Suzanne W
Verified Reviewer

Happy with choice of tutor.
A great service.
Bev T
Verified Reviewer

Extremely prompt response to our initial inquiry -with an excellent follow-up service.
Informative and easy to follow website.
We will certainly use First Tutors again in the future, should the need arise.
Thankyou
Jessie L
Verified Reviewer

For me personally, I was able to find suitable tutors (in terms of location and requirements) quite easily and quickly. Although I had to pay a (in my opinion) high introduction fee before I could exchange details with my first tutor, I will say that I feel that the benefits the tutoring will bring will outweigh the cost of the fee.
Fiona S
Verified Reviewer

This is a simple and quick way to find a tutor. In our case a delightful student to help our daughter with A level Chemistry revision.
Ivanova I
Verified Reviewer

very well organized and easy to find any information.
Selina B
Verified Reviewer

Very easy to access and use the site. Good responses from a number of tutors.
Jaqui B
Verified Reviewer

I could navigate the site easily, and found it very useful to know the rough location of the tutor as this let me work out if the arrangements could be practical. I liked having only a one-off payment with no further ties. This gave me the confidence to use the site. Althouh I did not need the backup support should my tutor not reply, it was nice to have it in place. If I need a tutor for any other subject, then I will be returning to this site.
Margot W
Verified Reviewer

It was easy to find a suitable tutor and also easy to correspond with the prospective tutor. As a result , I have now arranged weekly private lessons.
Aaron H
Verified Reviewer

Very easy to use site. Instructions clear.
Tara O
Verified Reviewer

Only our first visit but very impressed and full of confidence that Emma will be a great asset for our daughter.
First Tutors is rated 4.65 based on 2,514 reviews