Crunch Reviews

of reviewers recommend Crunch
Read Crunch Reviews

About Crunch:

Crunch takes the stress out of accounting by reducing both cost and time. We provide simple online accounting for contractors, freelancers, sole traders, limited companies, and small businesses.

With over 10,500 clients, we offer a range of fixed-fee packages and bespoke solutions so you can design a service to suit you. We help with accounting, tax reporting, Self Assessments, payroll, expenses, bookkeeping, and much more.

We’re not just another software provider - we offer unlimited support and advice through our client management team and chartered certified accountants.

reviews@crunch.co.uk

Telecom House, 125-135 Preston Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 6AF

Tell us how Crunch made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
Crunch 5 star review on 28th June 2016
Cams
More Photos & Videos
I have found that Crunch provide me with a consistent first class service to suit my business needs.
I've used Crunch for over 5 years and have been very impressed with the consistency and quality of the service. My Account Manager (Sian) is very helpful and approachable and I've found accountants provide very good advice when I have queries. The software is easy to use and when I can't work it out, help is at hand, most recently from Emily, with my latest contract queries.
I've worked for myself for 11 years now and like most people I have focused on the work and trusted my accountants to keep me safe and legal. After 9 years I found the previous bunch had been doing a terrible job on my behalf resulting in many fines and finally a large refund from HMRC.

I needed a change and happened upon Crunch. What a breath of fresh air! Their website is slick but more importantly so are their people. I used to dread calling the accountants yet now it's like a lesson is customer service every time. It doesn't seem to matter who I speak to they are all highly profession, yet human and approachable.

My Account Manager ('Stephen') exemplifies these qualities. Always there to answer my call and help me navigate the system, advice on a particular issue or pass me on to an accountant when needed. I have one referral to date and there will be many more to come just don't lose sight that it's people like Stephen that will keep me a loyal, vocal customer for years to come!
Great service, communication and price. Highly recommend.
My experience with Crunch has been excellent. My Account Manager, Luke Young, has been solid as a rock - any problems with HMRC, worries about the process or if needed guidance on how to use the Crunch software, he patiently would walk me through all of it.

He really took the fear out of accounting for me (as a finance phobic Art Director) to the point that I actually now enjoy crossing the T's and dotting the I's.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Crunch as flexible and supportive accountants.

Chris
I have been using Crunch for about a year now and they have made my life so much easier. The reason we decided to change our accountant is because we never had our emails returned and was a real pain to have to go in and see the accountant and left us little time to grow the company. Crunch have been brilliant with monthly payroll and keeping me up to date with current HMRC guidelines. There is always someone that returns our emails and in a language that we understand.
I had a micro business with a small number of invoices & expenses. With a bit more effort I could have run my accounts from Excel, but found using an online accountant suited my needs. I was with Crunch for 5 years, at which time I only used their 'actual' accountancy services a couple of times for some very simple queries. The service, to be honest was fine during that period - but bear in mind I was only really using their web services and my accounts were beyond simple.

Where I feel Crunch's exceptionally poor service was exposed was when I closed the company. They charged for over £200 to do the following:

- End of year accounts
- Send a form to de-register from VAT (must have take 5 minutes)
- Send a form to Companies house notifying them of the company closing (another 5 minutes)
- Send my final PAYE to HMRC and notify them of ending my PAYE scheme.

Bearing in mind that the end of year accounts were 'part of the bundled service', and that the PAYE notice is literally just a checkbox/boolean flag on the final submission I felt this was somewhat taking the proverbial. When I pointed out that I had been with them for 5 years, and had hardly ever contacted their accountants, and they should take this into consideration regards the fee I was politely told there was no room for negotiation.
So I paid the fee.

What followed over the next 3 months was frankly a shambles. Passed from pillar to post, chasing them for updates, chasing them to close my accounts, chasing them for final Corp Tax / VAT figures (bearing in mind all of this is meant to be bundled in - its just final figures, not recurring). Not to mention, they filed the wrong VAT figure to HMRC, so I had to phone HMRC to sort it out.

What really was annoying & I find frankly unacceptable was their 'final figures' . They had decided to change my dividend amounts, and sent me a baffling explantation, which I had to ask for clarification several times, and I felt never really satisfactory.

In the end, I had to go through the last year's accounts, sales, PAYE, dividends etc with a book-keeper to sort out what Crunch's accountants were doing.
And in the end - they'd missed 5K in figures which I needed to declare to HMRC for 16/17 tax year.

Just avoid this company - the minute you need some advice, or come to close your business, then you'll be left wishing you had gone somewhere else.
They've also not really changed their software in (at least) 5 years - apart from a styling change about 2 or 3 years ago which made it worse.
Hi Ben,

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you're experiences have been below our level of service. My name's Andy and I'm the Client Experience Manager here at Crunch, I'm going to drop you a quick email to discuss your situation and see what I can do to help put things right.

I will also review all correspondence between yourself and our Accountants who produced your closing company accounts.

Please leave this with me and I'll be in touch as soon as I can,

Many thanks
All advice has been checked by our Senior Technical Accountant and any mention of incorrect advice should be ignored. We will be requesting a full retraction of the review.
I have a very simple contractor business with Crunch for 2 years. During this time, there was minimal service, which is partly expected. At the request in August, to close accounts, the process was disorganised and passed through a number of teams which I needed to be explain from the start a few times. Finally they advised they could finish the books in October 2016. After much chasing and extensions, I have now been told it will not be until March 2017. Speaking as an accountant, it is the simplest set of books you can possibly have and everything is wrapped up, I cannot understand the delay. The communication is very poor and the standard of work is low
Hi there,
My name's Andy and I'm the Client Experience Manager here at Crunch. I'm very sorry to hear that there have been delays in producing the closing accounts and will arrange to have these fast-tracked as soon as possible. We strive to maintain excellent turnaround times on all accounts but I can see that we have let you down in this instance so I am sorry.

I'll be in touch as soon as I've spoken to the closures team handling your accounts.

Many thanks
This company has appalling customer service. I was a customer for over a year and I wish I'd just gone with an accountant instead as not only would it have been cheaper in the end but the service would have been much better. They must cycle through staff pretty quickly as you're supposed to have an account manager but mine changed 4 times over the period. Without any introduction, by the way.

This kind of thing, combined with the fact that the main staff you speak to are not actual accountants, makes for a very disjointed experience of customer service. They sell it well but it's not worth the money. Their software is slow - and you can get xero free anyway - and you'll spend ages trying to sort something simple out through email chains. Between the amount managers things also get lost, which means you have to spend precious time and effort chasing them up for things you're paying them to do. You can't trust the job to get done with Crunch.

When it comes down to it, the quality of their advice is not great. For the most part it's regurgitated from what's on their website so if you don't understand it that way, they can't really help you.

Get yourself a free or inexpensive accounts tracker like xero, and get an accountant to check our do your self assessment.

I got tempted in by the cost of accountants but it's end up being a false economy. If you're going to pay someone, make it someone you can trust to get the job done and who will give you piece of mind. Your time iand sanity are worth that.

Don't be fooled by their nice salespeople. Their service is awful.
Hi Pritpal

My name’s Andy and I’m the Client Experience Manager here at Crunch, I’d like to reach out and see if there’s anything I can do to help you with your concerns.

In order to deliver the best possible service, we always aim to respond to any queries received within a lightning fast turnaround and in order to do this we adopt a team based approach, for handling our Sole Trader clients.

I can see that in the run up to the Self Assessment deadline you have spoken to a few of our Client Managers who helped ensure your return was filed successfully. I understand and appreciate that not having the same person handle your query over the last few days has added additional frustration to an already stressful time and I’m sorry that this has caused inconvenience.

I will drop you an email to see if there’s anything I can do to help.

Kind regards
Spend your money on an online bookkeeping course, as you'll be doing it all yourself anyway.

Lots of promises but very poor user experience, staff have very limited knowledge of actual accounting and expect you to do most of it yourself. To give an example I'm currently trying to reconcile my accounts, but because my credit card's CSV download (Barclays) doesn't provide a running balance, my 'account manager' doesn't know what to do.

As such I have had to create my own CSV file and add all transactions (even though I have already done this in crunch), which I then upload so that their system will accept it.

It still isn't sorted and because they require accounts to be completely up-to-date to do last years self assessment (?!?) I am now almost a week away from the deadline and my accountants have advised I go elsewhere!

E-mail response is very slow (although when I cancelled my direct debit they got in touch straight away). Overall very bad experience and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
Hi Rick,

Please allow me to introduce myself as the Client Experience Manager here at Crunch Accounting, I’m sorry to hear you’re not having a great experience right now. I’d like to step in and offer my help in resolving your issues with the reconciliation so I’ll be in touch this morning.

We’ve recently developed a new Crunch integration with Barclays as we were aware that their statements lacked some basic functionality. This is a great new addition to the service and it’s free of charge. I’ll provide you with more information when we review your account together today.

Looking forward to helping resolve your issues,

Kind regards
Impressive response times. Friendly, patient and helpful account manager (Sian), and when there is a more complex matter a schedule phone call with a senior accountant is always set-up timely. For one-man bands like myself (Limited Company) Crunch's business and delivery model offers superior value for money compared to traditional accountancies (Premium package incl. bank reconciliation and all filing requirements). Highly recommended!
Crunch has been great in terms of getting on top of everything accounting. The online tool is complete, clear and comprehensive providing much more of a real-time position of my business than more traditional accountants i was with initially. Danny Edwards, my account a manager has been fantastic in supporting my transition into Crunch; his patience and availability has been great making my move into Crunch pain free.
Our Company has been with Crunch for a few years. Once you've mastered the software it makes managing the accounts very straight forward, I was very glad to leave Quickbooks behind.
It has been a pleasure to work with Louis Worrell, who has been our Account Manager this year. He is extremely helpful, professional and always responds promptly. I know if I have any difficulties, I can count on him to help me resolve them.
Exceptional service, always quick to respond, and amazing service from Lawrence Miller!
Luke Young has been of significant help in ensuring I am up to speed with my records, expenses etc.

Luke is a valuable asset.
Their support, speed to responses and expertise is the best I've ever experienced. I always know exactly how my company is doing financially and am given clear information on when to file HMRC documents. They're just fantastic and really take the stress out of accounting.
I want to break Crunch into two distinct parts: the service and the people.

The service that Crunch provides is absolutely invaluable. They take the hassle, headaches, and panic out of accounting. They remove a lot of the confusion and stress and leave me to do what I need to do, which is provide services to my own clients. They help with with broad questions, like how I should set myself up for VAT, right down to super specific issues, too intricate to even go into. They provide a wide array of services to a consistently high level of quality. I have absolutely every confidence in everything they do for me, which is reassuring when we’re talking about money and tax and government.

What really sets Crunch apart, though, are the people who work there. I know that every time I email, no matter how trivial or banal or complex or fiddly my problem, they will always reply immediately, helpfully, and proactively. They also manage to strike the perfect balance between professional and personable, which is something I value very highly: it means I know that I can trust them, I know that they’ve got everything under control, but they also conduct themselves as laid back, down to earth, and truly friendly people (special shout out to Amelia, my Account Manager at the time of writing—she has the patience of a saint!).

I’ve been using Crunch for 3+ years now. I recommend them to anyone who will listen, and will continue to use them while ever I run my own business. They’re the best.
Accountancy is a minefield for me, which is why Crunch get a 5 star rating here.

My Account Manager, Sian, answers all of my questions (and there are lots!) on the same day, often immediately. She is absolutely amazing!

Crunch really do make accountancy simple. I highly recommend them. Their service is worth every penny!
Been a customer coming up to a year now (10 months), and have had a good experience so far. The web system used is a bit clunky in some areas, but does the job.

The place where Crunch shines is customer service. My account manager will respond to any queries same day - usually same hour. This is a massive help, and the reason why I cannot think about using another accounting provider. Everyone I have ever spoken to within Crunch is knowledgeable, helpful and polite.
Crunch is rated 4.20 based on 279 reviews