Colin Appleyard LTD Reviews

91% of reviewers recommend Colin Appleyard LTD

About Colin Appleyard LTD: Established in 1971, Colin Appleyard is a family-style business selling new and used motorcycles and cars and associated parts, accessories and clothing. In the showrooms, on the telephone or online, we have long-serving, knowledgeable staff who understand our products and want to give the best possible service to our customers.

enquiries@colinappleyard.com

Cornmill Garage, Halifax Road

Click Here

Tell us how Colin Appleyard LTD made you happy

customer service
Malcolm
"Just purchased a Subaru Forester from Huddersfield branch. Simon in sales was excellent, knew the product inside-out, nothing was too much trouble. Only time will tell regarding servicing, I will write an update after I have used that department."
Nathen Thompson
"Sam Fenton has done me proud once again on my new virtara s many thanks"
Liz Ripard
"Friendly and efficient."
"Went in with a fault, came out with the same fault. they had to order parts to fix another known fault, and that one was known about for over a week. Time for a change of Dealership methinks , lost all faith in Ashton branch."
Hi Eric, We are sorry to see that you have left us a 1 star review and would certainly like to look into this for you. Apologies, but we are unable to find your details on our system. If you are able to fill in the form located at the following link we will ensure your comments are investigated - https://www.colinappleyard.com/company/feedback
"I felt that we were being laughed at for not knowing that a black, automatic jimny was not available, a customer came in who already had one and the salesman told him we would buy it off him. This would have been my eigth suzuki car but not with Colin Appleyard"
Hi Mark, Please accept our apologies for the way you felt you were dealt with when visiting our Huddersfield dealership. We pride ourselves on the levels of customer service we provide and your comments have been taken on board & raised with the Manager of the dealership, who in turn I believe has spoken with you. Once again please accept our apologies and if we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
"Not happy.!..nearside front wheel of Corsa has scuffed alloy"
Hi Robert. Following your comments we believe you have been in contact with our sales team to discuss the issue further. All of our used vehicles go through a comprehensive preparation and checking process prior to collection and as has been explained, none of the departments involved in this process made any note of damage to the wheel at any point. Had damage been noted, or picked up by you on your initial viewing of the vehicle, it would have been rectified prior to you collecting. If you are not satisfied with the response you have received from us regarding this matter, you can email details of your complaint to enquiries@colinappleyard.com.
"Garage unable to diagnose problem with car not running, despite the fact this is a Suzuki Main Dealer and after 3 weeks in repair shop. Finally cause said to be contaminated fuel and a new pump assembly fitted. Issue of contaminated fuel taken up where fuel purchased (only one station ever used which has an attendant who puts in fuel). Where do we go from here?"
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback - we are obviously sorry to see that you were only able to provide us with a 1 star review on this occasion. Having discussed your comments with our Bradford dealership, we are told that the reason for the delay was explained to you at the time & was due to the injectors having to be sent away along with the testing of various items to establish the cause of the fault. We believe that you were offered the use of a courtesy vehicle during this time to keep you on the road.
With regards to your comment about contaminated fuel, this is not something we can take any responsibility for. The responsibility lies with the owner or person putting in the fuel into the vehicle. Our Bradford dealership have provided you with a sample of the fuel so you can take the matter up with this person and / or the filling station you used should you wish.
Again we are sorry you feel disappointed by your recent dealings with us. If we can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact us.
"Used the MOT Service. deception used to charge and replace tyres which were not required. A tyre check the previous day found the types to be in legal condition. Wheel hub caps not returned to proper position. Brakes, which were fine before MOT, are now squeaking loudly. Will be taking further action."
"After dealing with Keighly branch I would strongly reccomend AVOIDING Colin Appleyard. The manager is undeniably rude and has no respect for his customers. A deposit was placed on a nissan note under agreement with staff that the car would be moved to a closer neighbouring franchise to be test driven before completing purchase. After over a week, a call from the manager was received stating they want insurance and tax taken out for them to move the car as the purchase had already been made. When expressed that the purchase was not yet complete and the car needs to be test driven first as agreed with the staff, the manager abruptly stated the staff wouldn't of said that and refused to send the car for a test drive before the purchase was complete. The Manager wanted to complete the purchase before test drive and when it was expressed a test drive was needed, the manager refused to sell the vehicle full stop. Absolutely appalling and shady customer service!! Previous Toyota, Honda and Skoda experience has always been fantastic. But Nissan! Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! Or at the VERY least, avoid dealing with this branch."
"Crap garage paid 150 for a lot work done. Bike came back with knackerd lead. Rang garage refused to replace it but send me one to do. AVOIDDDDDDD"
We have looked into the complaint you have raised (both her & via Facebook) and we are satisfied we have carried out all the work correctly and have done so in a professional manner.

The AJS scooter that was brought to us for repair left in full working order. The issues that you highlighted were snapped leads; one to the main battery terminal along with the charging lead. We resolved both these issues and delivered the bike back to you with all work completed and tested.

You contacted us again several days later complaining of the same issue occurring with the charging lead. It had snapped again. This suggested to us that you were most likely at fault due to an almost identical problem occuring to that which we had recently rectified. That being said we did offer, as a gesture of goodwill to send you a replacement lead to fit to the battery yourself.

After this you were uncontactable via telephone. We have records of all work undertaken including outcomes and tests to ensure everything was completed to our strict standards. If you feel you have not received a service that satisfactory then please do, as already requested on 2 occasions, email full details of your complaint to c.bond@colinappleyard.com to be dealt with via our official process.
"I took my nissan X trail for a minor service as part of the nissan care4 package to the Keighley branch.As someone who usually does regular servicing on my own cars I was rather annoyed to get home after picking the car up to pull out my dipstick to find black oil...not clear....I drained the engine oil to find the oil hadn't been changed at all..over the weekend I changed the oil myself and ran the car for over 50 miles..checked the oil....all clear oil.so Monday I returned to the garage with the evidence in a container to show the gentleman on the service desk..at which point I said does this look like the oil from a newly serviced car to which he said ...yes ..so when nissan Chorley serviced my car the oil was crystal clear for months..Colin appleyard do it and it's as black as when I took it in..and if I had of been paying this would have cost me £219.00 for the pleasure The service manager wasn't back till wedsnday but was told he would contact me on his return.. wedsnday nights here..has he rung...no . absolutely disgusted with the service from this garage.. unfortunately for them I look after my car and do not trust main dealers .to which once again I've been proved right"
Having spoken to our Nissan dealership and some of our other service personnel, we have been able to establish that this is a common occurrence with diesel engines. All of our Technicians are factory trained and committed to ensuring work is carried out fully. Our Service Manager also has many years of experience in the motor trade, in particular with the Nissan brand and has tried his best to explain everything to you. We are sorry you felt the need to post this review however we are confident that on this occasion our staff have carried out the work as per your request and as stated in Nissan's servicing schedule.
""Metallurgical analysis of a large number of failed wheeled studs have revealed that all had failed from fatigue rather than overtightening." Yet you charged me £60 for a wheel stud failure because you claimed that I, a 57 yo female, using no more than a wheel brace, could overtighten a bolt sufficiently that I could shear it off using the same wheel brace. Shame on you."
(Huddersfield) - Posted 1 year ago
We are very sorry to see you have left a 1 star review and to hear that you were disappointed with the service you received. Following your comments we have discussed the matter with our Huddersfield dealership who have advised that despite the vehicle in question having a full service history with us, winter tyres were fitted elsewhere. Whilst it is their opinion that the wheel studs may have been over tightened causing the stud to break, they are in no way insinuating that this was done by you. We would like to apologise if there was any confusion in the way this message was communicated to you.
"I bought a used motorcycle from colin appleyard bikes I have had nothing but problems with it, it came with a signed service check sheet when I check the bike myself I found numerous dangerous faults with the bike and I certainly hadn't been serviced. I have rode this 2018 model bike twice since I bought it both times I have broke down"
"We bought a car in February, within a few weeks there were warning lights coming up on the dashboard, on reading the manual it said you must stop the car immediately, we took it in to CA and they had it for a couple of weeks doing diagnostics etc and couldn't find out what the problem was then it was sorted, we got the car back but it was flashing up the message again and other ones!! Then the car starting having clutch issues and it was difficult to get it in reverse, but the clutch became worse and worse so it went in again, for another 2 weeks!!! Finally, it was ready for collection £1400 later and guess what the warranty that we took out with them didn't cover it!! and then to add insult to injury on collecting the car we were told that the starter motor is now failing and the car will have to go back in again!!!! - why would you not do it whilst the car was in as this apparently is covered under the warranty??? £500 was knocked off our bill but really we should not have had to pay a thing as we have had nothing but trouble with this car. Buyers beware!! We will not be back to Colin Appleyard."
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are obviously sorry to hear that you are unhappy and have referred your comments to our Group Aftersales Manager who was already aware of the issues you detailed. Whilst we fully appreciate why you feel disappointed, the problems you refer to all relate to the vehicle you purchased which at the time was more than 7 years old. Whilst as stated, you did take the option of an extended warranty, as with any warranty, this does not cover items which are subject to wear and tear (your policy booklet provides full details of exclusions). All the pre-owned vehicles we sell are subject to a thorough check prior to being made available for sale however we cannot predict problems which may occur 6 months and a further 5,000 miles down the line. We have been advised that all items which were chargeable have been discounted as a gesture of goodwill and once again we'd like to apologise for any inconvenience which may have been caused. Should you wish to make any further comment, please forward this by email to c.bond@colinappleyard.com.
"the manager of the keithley motorcyle branch needs sacking he is a disgrace and very unprofessional, because of his actions when i purchased my new motorcycle a month ago i will NEVER buy from there again nor will i recommend it to anyone. the only reason i have been back since is for the 500mile service witch was a rip off at £160 for oil and filter change."
(Keighley Motorcycles) - Posted 1 year ago
Hi Peter. We are sorry to see you have given us a 1 star review and as such have looked into your comments further. From the information we have been given it would seem you were unhappy with the original valuation we had given for your part-exchange however after further discussions with the Sales Manager this was resolved and you went on to purchase the motorcycle you were interested in. In reference to the cost of the 1st service, again we have looked into this and can confirm the charge is correct and applies to all new bikes. Historically the labour cost of the 600 miles service was covered by the selling dealer however this changed a few years back. We do explain this as part of our handover process when a new bike is collected and an information sheet is included with the pack you receive with your new motorcycle which also explains. We are sorry you do not feel completely satisfied with the service you received from us. Should you wish to make any further comment, we would invite you to address this via email to c.bond@colinappleyard.com
Hi Peter. It was good to see you back in the dealership a few days ago having a service carried out on the bike you purchased from us a few months back. We hope to see you again in the near future.
"Took my car in for my free lifetime MOT and was charged £145 for a set of front brake pads!!! Total rip off for one set of pads."
Hi,

We would like to look into this matter further for you, but without additional details I'm afraid we cannot provide a response as to the cost of the front brake pads. Please could you get back to us via enquiries@colinappleyard.com with either your full name, postcode or car registration. Many thanks.
Hi Mrs Johnson,

Our service manager Paul has attempted to contact you several times via the number we have for you on our system, but has been unsuccessful. We also dropped you an email last week just to ask you to give us a call at your earliest convenience so Paul can discuss your complaint with you. If you would still like to discuss this with him, please get in touch via 01535 606 321. Many thanks.
"We have bought a 12 month old Vitara from your Huddersfield field branch and found oval a very good experience, we had the car coated with Gen-3 Glasscoat, the car shines like new but the feel of the car is like fine sandpaper and not smoother than the original paint as claimed by the product manufacturer. We are very disappointed with this product and now wish we had not wasted our money on it. We returned the car to be told this is the normal finish of the product and there is nothing wrong with it. I believe the product has not been applied correctly as there is a car in the showroom done with Gen-3 and it has a lovely smooth finish, we are very disappointed now. This is my wife's car and she is rather upset.I have been a customer of Colin Appleyards for over 30 years mainly on the motorcycle side being friends with Colin and Robin, I will be meeting both Peggy and Robin at Donninton at Easter as I am a BSB marshal and spend time with them in the paddock, the last thing I wish to talk about is this experience but I will."
Hi Mr Taylor,

We're sorry to receive a 1 star review from you. We believe our sales executive, Christian, has already been in contact with your wife regarding this, and thought the issue had been resolved. We have informed the Huddersfield branch of your review, and our sales manager, Ali, will be calling you to discuss further.
"I have to bring my car in because you will not pick it up from Euroway estate. So got there 1.10 been told it would be 2 hours so got back at 3.30. After trailing around keighley to be told it would another hour. Actually came out of the show room at 5.05. Took over an hour to get home because of teatime traffic. So not happy."
Dear Menzies,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We believe you have now spoken to our service manager and are happy with the resolution. We apologise again, and if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get back in touch.
"Very bad customer service worst i ever been"
Dear Gilbert,

Thank you for bringing to our attention your issue with the poor customer service you feel you have received from us. We have built our family-style business on a reputation for treating our customers fairly, and we value your feedback as it helps us to improve our service.

Please could we ask you to contact Caroline Bond our complaint handler at c.bond@colinappleyard.com with further information regarding the service you have received, so that we can investigate on your behalf.
"They lie lie lie"
Hi Shaun,

We're very sorry to receive a 1 star review from you. At Colin Appleyard, we value customer feedback and take all complaints seriously. Could you please contact Caroline Bond our complaint handler at c.bond@colinappleyard.com with more details. We will then be able to investigate further for you.
"After buying my car from Colin appleyard the engine management light came on called out rac who diagnosed a turbo fault Colin appleyard refused to accept this and said all fine fast forward 2 years warranty ran out light still comes on still they say no fault found although two independent garages have both diagnosed turbo fault in short if you want to be fobbed off with tall tales this is the place for you personally never again, shaft you while smiling"
Hi Mr Benson,

As already discussed with our service manager, the diagnosis for any Nissan warranty claim requires our technicians to first read, record then remove fault codes. After removing the codes the vehicle must then be road tested, and then re-tested for fault codes once returned to the workshop. Unfortunately, on the second diagnostic, the test failed to return a current fault code to be able to replace components under warranty. Because we were unable to confirm the faults or the return of a current fault code we were unable to carry out a warranty claim. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience but as a Nissan dealer, we must adhere to these procedures.
"TOOK MY GOLDWING TRIKE IN FOR A FULL SERVICE AND TO SORT FUEL OVERFLOW SPILL AND LIGHTS OUT. HAD MY TRIKE OVER 6 WEEKS AND HAD TO KEEP PHONING FOR AN UPDATE. ON PICKUP CHARGED £774. WHILST ATTEMPTING TO LOAD ON TRAILER PETROL WAS POURING OUT AND WAS TOLD TO JUST RUN IT AND SHOULD SORT ITSELF OUT. [ IT DIDNT ] HAVING CHECKED THE TRIKE THERE MORE THOROUGHLY I NOTICED ONE FULL SIDE OF THE TRIKES LIGHTS WERE NOT WORKING' I WAS TOLD COULD BE LOOSE WIRE BUT NO OFFER TO PUT ANY OF THESE RIGHT. ON UNLOADING BACK HOME NEIGHBOUR TELLS ME THERE ARE NO BRAKE LIGHTS YET THEY HAVE SUPPOSEDLY OVERHAULED THEM IN THE SERVICE. BIKE WENT IN FULLY POLISHED UP AND CAME BACK FILTHY. TRIKE SOUNDS ROUGH AND SMOKEY ON STARTUP WHICH IT DIDN'T BEFORE IT WENT IN. HAVE DIFFICULTY STARTING THE TRIKE AND SOUNDS ROUGH TILL WARMED UP [ SEVERAL MINUTES ] TOLD CORNERING LIGHT WAS KNACKERED AND COULDN'T BE FIXED AS THE PARTS ARE NONE EXISTENT' [ FIXED MYSELF ] CUSTOMER SERVICE LOUSY HAD TO KEEP PHONING FOR UPDATES. £774 FOR A 6 WEEK SO CALLED FULL SERVICE AND FAILED TO NOTICE NO BRAKE LIGHTS' FAILED TO NOTICE NO LIGHTS DOWN ONE SIDE OF TRIKE' FUEL STILL SPILLING OUT AND ROUGH ON STARTUP. TRIKE WORSE NOW THAN BEFORE IT WENT IN AND IV'E PAID £774 FOR THE PRIVILEGE . GONA COST ME WHO KNOW'S WHAT TO RECTIFY THERE MISTAKES BUT SOMEWHERE THAT KNOWS ABOUT GOLDWING BIKES/TRIKES AND HOW TO FIX AND SERVICE THEM PROPERLY. A TURNER."
"On the 21st of July 2017 i bought a 2014 Citroen C3 Picasso from Appleyard Nissan in Keighley. I traded in a 2014 Suzuki Splash against this car. The agreed trade in value of my Suzuki was £3,500 i then added £3,500 cash to achieve the purchase price of the Citroen which was £7,000. After driving the Citroen for a while it became apparent that there was a fault in the cars driveline, it had a nasty judder when letting the clutch in to take up the drive. The car was returned to Appleyard Nissan for assessment and repair. When i got the car back after two weeks of being without it the issue with the driveline was still apparent. over the next two and a half months the car was back at Appleyard Nissan a further 4 times but was not repaired. I was then invited to a meeting with the Appleyard Nissan general manager and the Appleyard group senior service manager, They insisted that the car could not be fixed and that i must sell it back to the company, after a quite heated conversation i finally agreed to do just that. I was told that i would receive the full purchase price back Which was £7000 plus the £250 i had spent having a tow bar fitted. I was told this by the general manager. When i returned the car to the dealership and handed over everything relating to the car i was then given a sheet of paper outlining that i would only be receiving £6,900 and not the £7,000 + £250. When i rang the general manager the next day and asked why i had not received the full amount he told me that, that was all i would be getting as at the time of me purchasing the car he had (Written Back ?) what ever that might mean by £350 the Suzuki Splash that it traded in. So after over two and a half months of being messed about and not having MY car available to use and then being pressured into selling MY car back to the company i am left £350 out of pocket. Hence the 1 star, but in truth zero stars would be more appropriate."
Colin Appleyard LTD is rated 4.63 based on 994 reviews