BP Chargemaster Reviews

+44 (0)1582 400 331

sales@bpchargemaster.com

500 Capability Green

Tell us how BP Chargemaster made you happy
I was dubious about using Chargemaster after reading the reviews, but I had no such issues. I dealt with various people in the office who were courteous and helpful. They even managed to pull my installation date forward. Their admin process may not be the most slick and the OLEV requirements are a little onerous, but the latter is the same for all installers. The installation itself was fantastic. I was lucky and had a veteran Chargemaster installer who took his time and a real pride in the quality of his workmanship, producing a really neat and tidy result. I can't comment on the longevity of the unit at this point, but looks sturdy enough. The app doesn't offer much value-add, but I only have a PHEV battery to charge and a flat rate electricity tariff, so a basic scheduling capability is more than enough. I can see/do anything else via the car's own app. Very happy so far.
This is my second review following on from my first few weeks ago. I have had no issues with customer service, can’t fault them but the charger has not worked, makes a clanking noise in the voltage detection box, was told it was my new Mercedes until I tested my car at my next door neighbours and tested his Golf at mine with same issue. Now im waiting for to get this outdated inferior charger fixed. Also the app is a total joke, if you check the reviews on appstore and google there is not one single review stating the app works, nothing works on the app, it almost like Bp Chargemaster came up with this app just to make their chargers smart enabled in order to be eligible for the Olev grant! i will be writing to them to test this app out and read the reviews and reconsider if they are eligible!
I've seen loads of negative reviews about BP Chargemaster. I've had a different experience, so happy to redress the balance...

The installation came free, as part of a deal on a new EV. In view of the appalingly bad online feedback, I asked lots of questions of them before installation. They answered all my concerns clearly, although occasionally it did take a few days to get a reply (not unreasonable). For my part, I provided all the site survey photos they required. This does take quite a long time, espec as I am over 40 and therefore have no idea what a mobile phone camera is.

I did have to get some preliminary electrical work (several hundred pounds) done as my electric supply to the garage was pretty ropey and I should have had it done years ago anyway, irrespective of the charger.

There was no significant delay on installation. In fact they had 'phoned me even before I had taken delivery of the car and set a provisional date less than a month away.

There were some technical issues which needed additional photos and discussion between Chargemaster and UK Power Networks. I was kept informed about the progress and outcome of these discussions, whcih was positive.

I received an email well in advance with a confirmed installation date (even earlier than the provisional date).

The installer phoned in person the afternoon before installation to introduce himself and check for any special issues, which was reassuring and useful (needed directions as we are prone to SatNav errors).

The installer arrived earlier than expected, which was not a problem for us. Noel was chatty (in a good way) but it didn't interfere with his work. He was very safety conscious, to the extent that he spent a lot of time checking with his colleague back at the office about a site-specific issue which could not have been picked up on the pre-installation site photo survey.

Once the go ahead had been received, he was efficient and careful with the installation, making sure I was happy with the position, cable routing etc.

My only beef is that I was not able to have the full 7kW charger installed which I was expecting. This was due to the cabling between my main supply board and the garage. Not BP's fault (it could not be foreseen from the survey photos). My own electrician judged that it was "probably" OK when he had done work on it , knowing it was in preparation for a 7kW unit. there was therefore a disagreement between my electrician and BP's . "Probably OK" is not something I wanted to risk with high power gadgets. Noel was happy to show me the difference in cable size by way of proof of the problem and so, as safety was an issue with the full power unit, I was content to accept his offer of a lower power charger rather than delay installation to upgrade the supply cabling. had I been paying for the install, I would of course have expected an appropriate reduction in price, but that is between Chargemaster and my EV retailer!

The installer made sure I was happy with the charger functions and checked that my EV was actually charging through it properly before leaving.

At time of writing, I have only received the user manual from BP (given to me by the installer before completion), but am expecting other bits (copy of function checklist, installation report, guarantee etc) by email.

As yet, I've been unable to get any joy from the HomeCharge website link I have been emailed. It keeps telling me the password reset link is invalid, but it may be my fault.

I will post again if there are issues with receiving the promised "paperwork" by email or accessing the HomeCharge website.

If you were worried by the negative reviews about BP Chargemaster customers being stung by unexpected additional charges on installation day, I'm happy to report there was not the slightest hint of any additional charges for anything at any stage. This may be partly because I had plagued BP Chargemaster Customer Service in advance of installation with specific queries about this. With the help of my local electrician, any potential problems were sorted out in advance (notwithstanding the supply cable capacity issue, which was not BPs fault). I guess being fore-warned about potential issues is being fore-armed. Perhps some of the bad reviews arise from unrealistic expectations of what could be predicted from site photos alone. My advice is, if in doubt, ASK in advance.

In addition to commending the installer, Noel, I must mention Aga Z in customer service who patiently fielded all my paranoid queries about charges, technical details etc. without frustration or exasperation, and kept me informed at every stage. Thank you to both of them.

Suggestions to BP for potential service improvement:

1) Can you let the installers see the site survey photos in advance of arrival? The 1st Noel saw the distance from mains supply to garage was when he arrived. This caused him concern which might have been ironed out in advance (if only for his peace of mind!)
2) At sites with significant distance from mains supply tails to charger installation site, could you send the customer the minimum spec for the supply cabling, including leakage / resistance tests required, so the customer can have a local sparks test / remediate the supply cabling to the necessary standard before installation proceeds? There is only so much you can tell from a photo of a closed consumer unit, and a 32A MCB doesn't guarantee what size wiring is behind it! I can't be the only customer with a garage some distance from the mains supply. Just a thought.
Unfortunately I can't endorse the company BP Chargemaster at all. When I booked my installation, I was contacted by BP Chargemaster asking if I was able to accept a delivery their engineer while he was at my property - I agreed to this and during the time he was here, about 10 to 15 boxes were delivered which the installer put in his van and took away with him. Subsequently, one of those boxes with my name / address on was dumped in Westminster (60 miles from where I live) rather than being properly disposed of by the engineer. Westminster Council have issues a £200 fixed penalty notice against me for fly tipping because my name and address was on the box and refused to accept my official representation that I was not at fault. I have contacted BP Chargemaster on multiple occasions, emailing their customer services manager, contacting through LinkedIn and phoning them directly and despite their assurances that this would be investigated, nothing has been done and they do not respond to me. I am now being threatened with a court summons for something which is not my fault. Don't touch them with a bargepole.
On the phone at present, 30 mins and counting. They keep asking for information for the installation ..photos, MPan no etc. Keep sending them the info then they give you an installation date...then they cancel the installation and ask for the same info again !!!!! Madness.
This company are seriously incompetent...AVOID
I require a PDF version of my receipt to progress a grant towards the final cost. Emails go unanswered. Did speak to my 'agent' on the phone, after hanging on for about 40 minutes (this is a regular event). Was promised a PDF. All to no avail. Surely to goodness a simple thing to progress?
i have worked here for a year. management are unprofessional. one says one thing, the other says another. they even told me i cant leave the building during lunch. they cant tell me what to do during my lunch. also, their chargers cost 2-3 quid to manufacture, but they sell it for 1000's. thats why they have so many recalls. they dont work properly. i would go to pod point or Anderson. there one looks better too tbh. trust me. i know how this all works.
I had the Charging unit installed in July. The app doesn't work properly with the unit. 2 original charges show and nothing after that. Also doesn't sow when connected.

I have called 3 times and reset the system and called back. No one ever follows up.
I had minor problems with the website but that seems to be the norm. Otherwise it all worked well with little hassle and the installation was particularly painless. With any luck I might get the car to go with the charger in the near future. If car dealers were as professional as Chargemaster, buying a new car would be very much easier
Unit is fine but had six week delays getting it installed including having to arrange double pole isolation switch installation with electricity provider and then found the fuse box with the switch was not useable anyway. Another fuse box which I had been told was no good, is now connected. A waste of time and money !!
Complete lack of customer service despite numerous emails and phone calls (spending c. 30 mins on hold each time) - nobody replies, even the lady that was ‘assigned’ to my case. So I have no idea what’s going on after all the documentation I submitted. Have sent an email this morning saying I am going with someone else now for installation - unbelievable a for a large company such as BP. I am now going to be left with a brand new EV and no way to charge it - not happy !
BP certainly pulled out all the stops on this one. Other companies couldn't even be bothered to send anyone to do a proper survey but BP sent round one of their electricians, Marcus who was prompt, courteous and did a thorough job and explained everything. Two weeks later he was back and did the whole job in 2.5 hours. He explained how everything worked and left no mess 10 stars to him. Whatever BP are paying him, he deserves a rise. I would certainly recommend him and BP
Disappointing service from start to finish. See attached photo re finished result. Still not had email with code to attach charge unit to phone.
BP Chargemaster 1 star review on 2nd October 2020
Had my fitted today, Kamar from W Yorks fitted the unit, perfect job, very good personal skills , was very pleased with the job and overall have been very happy with service received from BP . Looking forward to using the app although the hundreds of bad reviews regarding the app is a shame.
Excellent job done and very polite and friendly.
the only set back was is that you either fit a tethered unit with the cable but do not supply the cable for the other unit where you have to connect a cable. the cable fitted at my place colour is already coming off it as it is outside in the sun and rain. It would be better to have a non tetherd unit with the cable supplied for it. thanks Kamal
I wrote a review last week and in a response from BP Chargemaster Andrew S apologised and said someone would contact me with an update that day.

Surprise surprise, no one did and not only that I've just received an email from the company looking to start the initial process all over again, which is where I was 2 weeks ago and provided then all the signed docs and photos they're again asking for!
Communication is clearly an issue for this lot.

I now have an electric vehicle with no home charging unit and no information when one will be fitted.

I'm going to take this up with Renault because they obviously assume this company will provide a decent service to their customers and nothing could be further from the truth.

I also find it very interesting that the Trust Pilot review score for BP Chargemaster puts them in the AWFUL category.
Dear Kevin, thanks for your note and I am really sorry you have not heard from one of our advisors. I will investigate the lack of contact. I will also contact you directly now to update you and explain the reason for the duplication. Andrew S
Charger works very well. The engineer who came to install it was very friendly and professional. Altogether an excellent service
Installation was delayed due to confusion over requirements for OLEV Grant form. Fitter did an excellent job, but still awaiting Part P Certificate. Unit sometimes has difficulty communicating with Server so strange things can happen with schedules. This was part of deal when buying new Renault Zoe.
Thanks for your feedback. I will ensure that the advisor you worked with contact you to supply whatever you need. Thanks, Andrew S
BP Chargemaster made this purchase as easy as possible. Purchasing a wall charger is not a simple thing to do ( forms to fill in etc) but the staff are extremely helpful and more than happy to answer any questions you may have and help you every step of the way. They were also very quick in getting it installed considering the circumstances of COVID 19.
Fitter was efficient, polite and work to connect and position the charging unit was done with care. However booking process was a shambles and despite confirmation of arrival time in afternoon he was on my doorstep at 8am. My application included photos and a plan of the proposed route of the cabling and it was very clear that this was NOT just going to be run along the wall of the house - I ended up lifting block paving and digging a trench myself in order to have the cabling positioned where I wanted it (and to be clear I am a 50 year old woman and this is not how I was planning on spending my morning). I would hesitate to recommend you over a local firm.
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to read your description. I will ensure we look into the details of your application and get one of the team to call you . Thanks, Andrew S
BP Chargemaster is rated 4.25 based on 3,438 reviews