BT Reviews

9% of reviewers recommend BT

Tell us how BT made you happy

Own Driver, Postal Service
Telephone, Live Chat, Email
Over a week
customer service
Ad Looking for similar companies? ? Adverts from our client network
"Iv been with BT since 1973 and I'v had to leave due to over charging by BT getting out off control. No loyalty to people like myself, and I'm a pensioner off 77yrs. My daughter had to get me a mobile phone to keep in touch with friends and family. Disgusted with BT shame....????????????????????"
Are you BT? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Get Access
"Stuck in a one year contract with this appalling service. I'd rather wear thumb screws. The mobile App doesn't work properly, I can't even get our extensions to transfer successfully to between one other. For example, if I go on holiday and need to port my call to the mainline, it doesn't work. The call just disappears into an abyss or goes straight to answer service. Poor connections with echoes - the whole thing is really bad for business. I do not recommend this service. The support line is hopeless - kept on the phone for up to an hour at a time and still don't get things working properly. A complete waste of valuable time."
"Been a landline / infinity broadband / BT Sport TV customer for several years - on August 7th I renewed my contract on the strict understanding that I would be able to record BT Sport by exchanging my You View box for a You View Plus box. On that basis I was foolish enough to pay £208-80 landline fee 12 months in advance. Subsequently I have spoken to as many as nine individual BT employees in an attempt to resolve the recording issue by purchasing a You View Plus Box, quoted at £49 plus delivery. I have repeatedly been passed from person to person, placed on hold, hung up on, informed I need to also buy an additional TV package etc etc. Last night I again rang 0800 783 1401 number with the notion of either resolving the problem or cancelling my contract and requesting a refund. On this occasion I was kept on the line for one hour and 20 minutes while being passed to 3 different advisors, Chris in Doncaster, a lady and finally a Scotsman named John who assured me he'd have a brief word with his manager and get right back to me. 20 minutes later the connection was broken, leaving me absolutely fuming and my dinner burned to a crisp. Nevertheless, I rang 0800 783 1401 again this afternoon to cancel my contract but was persuaded by Amir Patel that the issue could be resolved, he would investigate and I could expect a call back in 30 minutes or so He said he'd generated a complaint ref No VOL013-235351101139 in the interim. Four hours later I have received no such call on either my landline or my mobile, both numbers having been supplied to BT. I have just called 0800 783 1401 yet again to cancel my contract within the 14 day cooling off period and to request a refund of the 12 months in advance landline charge which I am informed may take up to 7 working days to clear my account - took 5 minutes to leave my account. Ironically I also receive a BT bill yesterday and needless to say its also wrong. The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing resulting in disgusting treatment for loyal, longstanding customers. Never again!! Customer ref GB08847343"
"My elderly parents live in a remote house on an Island in Orkney, Scotland. They have been through a tortuous year with BT as their "service" provider. They have now been completely without a landline or internet for 11 weeks, let alone any chance of broadband. My father has been building a new house over the past few years next to the original croft cottage he owns. In November 2016 he contacted BT to ask them to move the line from the old house to the new house and was told this could not be done until February 2017. The phone line then developed a fault around December 2016/January 2017 time and an engineer was not sent out until February. The engineer repaired the fault but would not move the phone line. My father phoned BT again to be told that the line would be moved on the 19th May. At this point, the "executive complaints department" took over following a complaint. BT then came back saying that my parents would need to register the new house as a different address, despite it being literally next door to the original house. Cutting this part of the story short, the planning department at the council agreed that this was not necessary. The BT engineer failed to turn up on the 19th May, and my parent's landline and internet were both completely cut off by BT on this date. Since then, there have been 4 more arranged dates on which engineers were supposed to turn up but have not done so, with no notice or explaination. 11 weeks after the phone was cut off and the best part of year since my father asked BT to move the line and he is no closer to getting it sorted. The "executive complaints department" has been phoning my father on his mobile regularly but is unable to tell him why the engineers have not kept to their appointments or when they will actually turn up to fix the problem. My parents have also been in touch with the Ombudsmen, the local MP and the local newspaper and are no closer to getting a resolution, which is why I am posting on here on their behalf (they have no internet to do so themselves!) BT has a Universal Service Obligation to provide all households in the UK with a landline, even in remote parts of the country, and they are certainly not fulfilling this. To have a working phone is a lifeline on a remote island as the mobile signal is not always great. My Father is in his 70's and my mother, her late 60's and are currently without any reliable way to contact the emergency services should the need arise."
"Always found broadband fast and reliable. Engineers always professional and helpful on the few occasions one has been required. Getting download speed of 46.37 Mb/s and upload of 14.23 Mb/s with BT Infinity Two which I'm quite chuffed with. Lots of devices using Wi-Fi within the house including an external CCTV camera - broadband box seems to be able to handle whatever you can throw at it, and my online gaming smooth as ever if my partner is browsing on her laptop even with all the other stuff going on in the background. Not much in the way of deals to retain customers - there is some movement in price, but rarely as great as 'new customers' deals. Sky Online-Max by comparison is somewhat cheaper, but doesn't include any 'cloud' or backup facilities in their price. BT Cloud a useful 'free' add on at first glance (500GB with my broadband, which can be upgraded) however is SO slow to the point of being unusable. My 200GB of photos and music files backed up to the BT Cloud has taken over a month to completely back up all files. It's not just me either - there are plenty of forums where people have complained about BT's cloud feature. Automatic back-up seems to work well in the background, however the upload speed is so slow I have no confidence that new files, or file changes will be reflected in the Backup Cloud, and therefore have no confidence that new files have actually been backed up. So, in summary, performance is good. Prices nothing special, and ancillary features like BT Cloud bit of a waste of time!!"
"Terrible customer service. Mis-sold us cloud voice and ignored my emails to cancel. 1 month still I have not had cloud training. Excuse was the trainer was away!! surely more than one trainer is hired by BT. Seriously the cloud voice sellers are only interested in the sale. They will ignore you after and show no care if you are happy or not. Plus lie that hype it up to you. Its a terrible phone system. Does not do simple things that our business needs and wants that we had on our old BT phones. Trainer has not still managed to get the right functions for us in place after a month. Terrible service and really dont understand what the big hype is about cloud voice. It means we have to do everything from the portal in addition to our jobs as this is how it works. I wish I never fell for their tricks. Anyone getting this please try another organisation if possible. BT Net who deal with loud migration and Fiber installation are the best teams. You would think being a telecommunications company they would have customer service on point with phone systems. NOPE!!!"
"Wanted to cancel and told to call back in 24 hours. Called back in over 24 hrs and asked to call back in another 24 hours as their system hasnt updated. A manager called 'Sam Harris' was asked about y request for cancellation being taken but he declined 'for legal reasons' . Shocking and a wayy to bat people away till they decide not to cancel. We have had consistent problems with dropouts with BT avoid an overpriced useless network."
"This is the worst company I ever deal with. I missed my payment once so they disconnect me from internet so I could not work from home for two days and they chargeme £7.50 for late payment charge and then £12 pound for reconnecting me. When I try to phone them with complains I have been on the phone for 45 minutes waiting when somebody answer they said its a standard for everybody. So I asked where is that money going to do they have to buy new cable or something after they cut me out or what? If every 10th person forgot to pay they bill look how much money they are making from nothing. Awful practice ashamed yourself BT never again with you..."
"BT are without a doubt the worst company I have ever dealt with. Some of their practises must be bordering on illegal. With so many tech companies out there you would be mad to deal with this company. If I could give a negative star rating, then it would be-10. They will never see another penny of my money or anyone connected to me. Vote with your wallet people."
"Today after so many years I walk away! Beware those still with BT when you do the speed checker and BT tell you there is a fault which they then report automatically THERE IS NO POINT! Turns out the speed we paid for was never received! We paid for a service we never had! The only offer made was to stay at a reduced service reduced cost and then to add insult to injury when we had left we were offered a lower offer than we are now paying! Feel totally ripped off and would not recommend this company to anyone"
"Absolute shambles, with just some of the problems being: * Before I signed up I was told I'd be able to transfer the contract to someone else, which later turned out to be rubbish I was subsequently told that I'd first have to pay off the contract which entirely defeats the point. * I was told to wait in for the engineer to set everything up, and only to find out after the timeslot (when I called to find out where the engineer was) that it wasn't actually required thus wasting a day of holiday. * The connection itself would randomly die and take a long time to sort itself. * Whenever I called about problems with the connection I was fobbed off with excuses, with nothing ever resolved or any of the callbacks actually done. * The router itself was awful, and sometimes took over an hour (which I timed) to restart. * There were various hidden charges, such as setting up the phone line, removing it, an extortionate fee for the sub-standard router. * The price was increased early on in the contract, with the (legally required) notification email either never being sent or being buried in so much spam from BT that no one had any hope of seeing it. * The customer support is inconsistent, which different people telling you different things. * I asked to end the contract early as I moved house, but once this was done was then told that I'd be charged extra. I was also then told AFTER I'd cancelled it that these charges would not be applied if I'd just let the contract expire, but by this point it was apparently too late. I'd recommend people to use ANYTHING but BT."
"One of the worst companies on the market. They are professional THIEVES. The online system was down so I could not view or download invoices. So they said they will charge me £5 per invoice. Also the monthly charges are extortionate. The longer you stay with them they will increase costs and add new costs to your bill. Avoid this RIP-OFF company."
"BT are the biggest mis selling, lying cheats in U.K. Business' how the hell have the regulators not done something about them. Miss old a product - lied to continually during the process - they admitted their staff put fake notes on my account Internet didnt work for 3 weeks - 2 weeks in a row engineer didn't turn up Managers never call you back Most important they don't follow the correct complaints procedure Complete frauds"
"Never ending saga of problems with new Cloud Voice system. Countless people dealing with it who then 'vanish' to have to go through ALL of it ALL OVER AGAIN. 5 months and STILL not sorted. Appalling service from such a big company. Very disappointing."
"After ordering bt broadband as i was trying to move from virgin i realised the broadband was no good as i need a fixed ip address and that bt provided revolving ip addresses. I used the broadband 2-3 times just to set it up but as didn't start using it until 2 days after the 14 day cancellation they said i owe them around £400 to cancel. Absolutely ridiculous amount of money for a service i only used to set it up. now they have passed the debt to a collection agency and added 25% so it is now £565.66. i told them numerous times on the phone the service was unusable to me because the ip address was not static. if they had made this clear upfront i would never have ordered but doing so would probably mean less customers so the details were hidden away. I sent all the equipment back with 7 days but they then added an equipment charge on top. I used the broadband to set up 1 pc and never used the phone line at all. how can such a company that prides itself on being a family operator be such an aggressive, venal predator? At some point there will be a debt collector at my door to take my possessions. all because i went 2 days over the 14 days because it was not straight-forward to switch from virgin to bt as i run a home office. THIS COMPANY IS A DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"On 6th of July a month in advance I made a call to bt customer service and asked to close my account and stop providing services when my contract ends which is 6th. Bt guy said that my contract ends on 15th of August, I asked to confirm that I won't be charged any extra money and I will be refunded £43 because I'm paying upfront, and the BT guy confirmed that is correct. Now turns out BT guy was lying, I still have BT service and I was charged £58 and not refunded !!!"
"If I could give this company 0 stars I would. The treatment of my family has been absolutely diabolical. They have admitted time and time again that they missold policies to my elderly parents and yet months on, despite my efforts nothing has been resolved. My family live in a remote area and without landline communications, they are completely without any form of phone or internet. This is very distressing for elderly people as well as constant harassment from different departments of BT demanding bill payment, despite the complete admittance of fault from BT. As a medical professional, if this was a small company, this would be considered a safeguarding issue, exploiting elderly people. I am absolutely appalled. If only my family lived in an area where they could get Virgin service. If you can be with an alternative company to provide your communications then I urge you to do so. This is a large corporation taking advantage of the public. I would like to know how many other people have been missold tariffs and are in a similar situation."
"Worst company in the UK award goes to BT. i have never dealt with so many unorganised, no clue what it means by good customer service, rude, make promises they never keep for a record breaking time of 5 months with on going issues complaints. Their excuse is that they have far too many people with similar complaints so its takes them 2 weeks in my case 2 months to respond my emails. Please ask a billion questions before signing up for BT cloud voice or any services with BT or shop around and compare prices with smaller companies first, speak to people whi have the system you want and ask them to tell you pros and cons. BT will mis-sell to you and ignore you once you have agreed a contract. They will avoid you once you mention you are not happy and want to end the contract. Really disgusting service from the BT cloud voice team staff."
"I have had a real eye opener since Sept 2017 regarding services from BT cloud voice team and how they operate. The only words to describe this department is: Incompetent, time wasting, ignorant, no replies, no care for customer needs and mis-selling products. Yes I have made many complaints and they did sort things out fast after making it drag for months. I wasted my valuable time on this, chasing and chasing. It was frustrating for me with a 100 things to do on hand plus BT issues. Although they gave us a goodwill gesture which does not even make up for what I went through with them. For a brief period during xmas we had the best customer service from them. Naturally after complaining they had no choice. I mean does it always have to go this far for them to help their customers?? I started to believe in them again and gave them another chance after their brief service during xmas. Until recently we received a large bill on 6th dec 2017 stating we had a regular charge which was 3 times more than what we used to pay on our old phone systems. We were sold this in the line of 'You will save money and cloud voice will be cheaper for you. Here I have worked out how much you will save, it is the way to go.' Based on this we unfortunately signed up for 5 yrs. I have emailed the cloud voice team since 6 Dec to explain to me the itemized billing. Which by the way I spoke to the billing team who could not help me either as they were not the ones who set up our account and it's offers. I emailed and emailed and called. Today is 24 Jan. Few days ago the seller emailed me after I threatened to take it further. she said she is happy to arrange a call to discuss it. No apologies for not answering for over a month. So I waited and waited. I emailed again after few days about that phone call. Nothing. Yesterday her colleague emailed back saying she is away and he will inform her to call me when she is back. I thought what?? No email to inform me she is going away after agreeing to call me??? I have been waiting for her to discuss this since 6 Dec 2017 and now she just f**ks off!!! I was furious. How rude. This lady was the first to call and call day in and out when she wanted to sell me cloud voice. It's seems like sales commissions are based on sales only and not after sales. It should be commission on sale, happy customer for at least 2 months. Any complaints and the commission should be held back. I thought BT were well known and would be the best company for our new cloud voice systems. Please do not assume just because a company has been around for long, they will be supper efficient and honest with you. The phones are very often not working properly. No one at BT replies to you until you chase them; apart from the billing team. Oh you get people chasing you for late payments like a rocket!! I tell you the best customer service is from the billing team. When they want your money they will be on the phone being very nice to you and will never forget to call you. Otherwise be sure to wait for months until someone in cloud voice team even replies to your emails or your existence. This is after you chasing and chasing. I would recommend any one who is thinking of signing up for Cloud voice to not do it through BT. I personally prefer the regular landline phones for businesses rather than Cloud voice. I did not get an opportunity to look into this properly and got mis-sold something which is very expensive and worthless in terms of hardware cost. So I am helping others not make the same mistake. Cloud voice runs on internet so if you have broadband/fiber issues your phones will not work. The whole cloud voice system is portal based so get ready to do more work and add and change things you want on your portals. BT does not do all the set ups for you unless you ask them to add certain functions. but of course be prepared to wait and wait. To completely know how Cloud voice works you gotta do 12 courses that are 1.5 hrs long. Which by the way are useless and long. The trainers are lovely and professional. I ended up asking the training team to send me the videos so I don't have to sit through 1.5 hours of training which I have no time for and to be honest it's boring and way too simple. Oh and if only BT provide a manual for this; you would not be paying for the training which is around £500? It's waste of money and unnecessary. Who ever came up with this idea seriously wants to waste client money. I would have a web session that is interactive where it guides the customer on the various functions that need adding and gives an option to add them while the training is on going online. Like setting up a new laptop basically. Someone walks you through step by step. Of course BT designed this idea of courses with trainers live. It's very old fashioned. There are more faster and quicker ways to learn than this. So in conclusion, avoid dealing with BT cloud voice or their migration services or IT management. It's not worth the headache and time. Excuse for all this is they have other 100s of customers to deal with . Straight away making you feel unimportant not worthy of their help. I mean seriously hire more staff and cut down on hard core miss-selling. Customers will get you the business not your hard core miss-selling sales team. At least miss-sell a valuable product that we can rave about. This is what BT cloud voice team does: hardcore selling=commissions for staff=staff happy=staff wants more commissions=more miss-selling=unhappy customers=complaints"
"Great customer service when you are talking to them on the phone but when it comes to following up any problems you have they are appalling!! We have wasted so much time trying to sort issues like being overcharged. Do not sign up to cloud phone!!"
BT is rated 1.47 based on 275 reviews