British Gas Reviews

Business & Office

Tell us how British Gas made you happy

Over a week
customer service
"3Times I gave theme matter readings by phone and online,STILL DIDN'T GET MY BILL. I try to do this today, I talk with a person who ask me 4times post code.. and couple times name..finally I said my metter readings again, so will see, finger cross I will get this time my bill. It shouldn't be like that."
Are you British Gas? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Absolutely ridiculous, for 3 years they are setting up a payment plan and still harassing me for as little as £103 to pay (letter, calls, messages, you name it) after they told me they STILL don't have a payment plan. Moving supplier"
"Waited 30 minutes on phone to set up payment plan."
"Appalling service from British Gas- first they sell me the wrong product and then they take a double payment for same product. I received an apology and small sum for the first issue but got the roundaround on the duplicate payment despite my exhibiting my bank statements.After some advice from FOS I got my refund from my bank but no thanks to British Gas. Avoid, avoid, avoid! I will never use them again..."
"Paid £40 per month to find after a year of cover I wasn’t covered to have my boiler repaired when it’s faulty, I really recommend this cover as British Gas out to fleece you."
"Recently moved to British Gas (Nov 18), signed up early Jan 19 for the smart meter install for both Gas & Electric. Engineer booked for the 15th March. Took a day off work, and the engineer never showed up. Spoke to the idiots at the call centre who initially sent they had no record of the planned date, then after I kicked up a fuss they suddenly found the booking and offered no explanation as to why they cancelled it but told me to take another day off work so that they could 'plan' (but not guarantee!) a new installation. Told them no, they have to install either on a evening or at the weekend at times that suite me and not the other way around - they refused to do this, so i'm now going to take my business elsewhere - shocking service yet not really surprised based on the reviews here! British Gas you truly suck!"
"Over the past 18 years I've paid about £4000 in homecare charges called out twice. Once for simple fix once for a drain block for which today I received an invoice for £50 Which is the price I would have paid a plumber for the call out anyway. Unbelievable the biggest rip off ever. Cancelling today. Everyone be warned."
"One star because you can't leave 0 stars. We're told in moving to new property in June that we couldn't have a smart meter fitted because of the positioning of the gas meter within the house - we thought fair enough thay makes sense. So agreed on quarterly payments. The last contact we have had in any form from this shower of idiots was one bill from November. So imagine out surprise on Monday when we arrived home to find our locks had been taken off TWO door and a PREPAYMENT METER installed with no previous contact by letter, phone call or email. No warrant provided, no details of an application for said warrant and the relevant court proceedings for us to contest it. No payment plan offered absolutey NOTHING. Not to mention where have they installed it... in the exact place we were told wasn't suitable for a smart reader because it is UNREADABLE at the height it is. Even with our large stepladders you have to navigate under one door frame and continue up into the gap between the external porch door and the internal flat door - not exactly convenient. No prepayment card left for us or sent out, no leaflet provided so what happened when we'd arrived home at 8pm - THE GAS HAD RAN OUT. Called the first gent was sympathetic but just suggested we had to go out and buy a card and top up. So there we go it's now 8.30pm and I've had to trail round numerous stores with my two year old finding one of your cards for it to be registered then on getting it up the road to start it in the meter it doesn't work. Then managed to reach someone absolutely helpful who was APPALLED at the situation we'd been left in given my other half has two medical conditions that we could contest on having a prepayment meter fitted in the first place and we also have a young child. Also said rht this is the normal proceeding for arrears that have been going on for a year or more... weve only been with this disgusting company since June. She was able to send an engineer out within the hour who was very pleasant and he himself couldn't understand why we had been fitted with one of these godawful things and were being left in the s*** basically because nobody bothered getting back to us on Monday (systems are down you can't speak to anyone at all). Will be contacting today and fully intend on taking this further. Not that we'll get anywhere because the majority of the company sound like a bunch of yes men to the money grabbing powers that be up the top. AVOID ABOUT AVOID."
"British Gas home care is rubbish . In fact it’s a scam It’s total rip off . Please don’t take it"
"Came out to my elderly frail father within an hour of contacting them . What a fantastic service . Really appreciate it . Would recommend this service to anyone"
"British Gas have made my life a nightmare since 2015! Too many of their mistakes to write them all down, and still ongoing Issues now. They Have and still are causing me so much stress. They are liars, bullys and incompetent theiving Bastards I hate them with a passion!!"
"New boiler Worcester Bosch fitted new valve and new thermostat im a happy lady they sent the A team in I can highly recommend them and the price was very good with 5 years back up cant complain at all."
"They read my meeter wrong. Charged me £3,500 for one month electricity. Will not compensate me for bank fees on returned direct debit. Moving supplier!"
"An engineer broke into my flat and I had to get a locksmith as he had damaged my lock. It took 2hours for a locksmith to attend and I was £70 out of pocket. British Gas refuse to refund my money when I gave them receipts"
"I recently had a boiler installed and an additional radiator with the hive system. I have to say that the whole process was excellent. The engineers both the plumber and electrician treated my home with respect. They explained the process and also kept me updated. They cleaned up afterwards. I did have an issue the next day but this was expected as the additional radiator needed balancing again an engineer arrived who sorted it out and was extremely polite. The difference the new boiler has made is great. The heating system is functioning extremely efficiently and the house is really warm. I would recommend the replacement boiler to anyone as you may get it a bit cheaper but you don't have the backup and the professionalism. I think it was worth every penny."
"Due to a technical error they are unable to attend my property 2 months after signing up. I will never take a policy with them again. I am now asking for a cancellation and will use someone reliable and local next time."
"I am appalled by how British Gas has been scamming me over the last year. I live in a 1bed flat alone. I have a broken boiler that has not worked for over 2-3yrs. I hardly cook and I am away a lot at the weekends. I am out at work all day every day. My tariff used to be less than a £100 every 3 months for over 5 years. Since then they have put me on a fixed contract for about £74 a month. 6 months ago they claimed that I owed almost £300 due to their error in meter reading between 2-3 months IN THE SUMMER TIME. I refused to pay it because: 1. They did not write to me to inform me of their error 2. They didn't explain how I consumed so much energy when I am consuming even less since having a broken boiler... This month they have charged me over £200 and I have been told that my monthly energy bill will be £210 a month. Can someone please make it make sense? I am switching to another company but I just wanted to warn all of you. British gas is a scam. I can no longer trust them. Worst company ever! Clapham Lambeth."
"Last week, I provided my meter reading for British Gas for both electricity and gas. I am on a combined energy supply but then received a bill on 26/02 for solely gas. On 27/02, I received two more bills: one for gas, with a different figure than the previous day's, and another for electricity. I contacted British Gas who were unable to help me, saying they would look into it and contact me today (28/02) at 5pm. 5pm came and went and so I had to ring British Gas myself. 50 minutes later, and I was told that they were working on my account so could not provide me with more information - but will supposedly ring me back. The operator could, however, tell me that I should have received a combined bill and not two separate ones... Given that they were unable to ring me at 5pm today to say this, I do not trust that I will be receiving a phonecall this evening."
"Tried to notify BG on line due to a house move. Was OK up to a point then it asked for a number that I "would find on any letter we have sent to you". As they had sent no letter I tried to email but the website said "No email available". So I phoned only to go through the recorded message robot to be then told there was a queue of between 50 and 1 hour 15 minutes. I now know why my shares are worth half of what they were when I bought them. I thought things would improve when pretty boy Gavinson left but no. No surprise that customers are deserting them in droves."
"My Experience with British gas was nice and I'll move my supply to them in future."
British Gas is rated 1.51 based on 315 reviews