British Gas Reviews

British Gas have a Customer Happiness Grade of E. Customers are happy with their customer service but are unhappy with their prices and refunds. Full Insights

11% of reviewers recommend British Gas

customerservice@britishgas.co.uk

PO Box 4805

Category:
Business & Office

Telephone

How would you rate British Gas ?

"Rang strong smell gas and burning from metre sending somebody out between 6pm 1am sat up all night still waiting rang back coming between 1pm 6pm shocking british gas"
"Another price rise! Taken the decision to switch to bulb and wish I did it ages ago. Their pricing is very competitive (cheapest on the market for me), there is no contract and they even pay any exit fees. Such a simple process to switch it literally took 3 minutes. I got £50 credit on my first bill so almost a month of free energy. You also get your own referral code so if you recommend someone you and they each get £50 off and you can do this as many times as you like. Fantastic idea! Feel free to use my referral code and get £50 credit: https://bulb.co.uk/refer/peterk9464"
"These big companies won't learn. Customer service is everything. We have changed to BULB energy, much better and if you use the following link to sign up you'll get £50 credit. You can send the same on to anyone you like when your signed up. Seamless process and cheaper. bulb.co.uk/refer/matthewb9192"
"Large sums of funds taken out of bank as Direct Debit. I have never used more than £60 .. and they have taken £700. plus as estimate reding. Still waiting for a refund of over £1000.00 since 25th of January. Call centre is in South Africa. Awfull service couldnt care less attitude. Still waiting for a phone call let alone a cheque. Quick to take money out of account.. why a cheque as a refund? Disgraceful"
"First impression not good. Telephoned to arrange for a meter to be fitted into a new property and was held on the line for 34 minutes whilst being transferred from one assistant to another only to then be given a 0800 number to call. Am now being held in a queue. Unbelievable!"
"Moved into a property that was supplied by British Gas - changed to another supplier. When they closed the account, they sent me a final bill: - Gas usage was 4x what I had actually used - They moved me to another tariff which has a standing charge that was 50% higher than all the bills that were being sent to the "The Occupier" at the address. I am very glad to be moving to a different supplier as it looks like British Gas will make every attempt to screw you over..."
"Try moving house to see just how useless British Gas can be. All I wanted was to transfer my account from one house to another which was no hassle with any other utility provider ..... but British Gas is in a league of its own for being absolutely useless. Started by going on their moving house web page which didn't work so after a struggle managed to phone and was immediately transferred to another dept who took all the details of my old address and my new address .... Simple you might think !!! It all started to fall apart from then on, phone calls, texts, messages on my online account page and still not working and now I see I have two accounts running and they are still asking for meter readings which have been provide 6 times and still I await a resolution. If I had known the hassle I would experience I would have simply gone straight to another provider ..... in fact when I finally get sorted out I will do just that."
"I recently had a gas engineer called Ashley to service my boiler. I had realised all wasn't well and Ashley painstakingly worked out the problems. He had to come back the following day so instead of the quick service he spent 4 hours going over my boiler and putting everything right. He was polite and so helpful and also phoned later in the day to make sure it was running as it should be. Brilliant young man who put my faith back in British Gas. I was thinking of changing suppliers but wont now!"
"Abysmal customer care. Charging lots of money for poor workmanship and rubbish attitude to loyal customers. Inept record keeping and being told 'well there's nothing I can do' if you call to complain or to try to resolve issues. Then, when you cancel the service and say you'll voice your opinion online since you cannot get a complaint answered by them (because 'you're no longer a customer! So I can't put in a complaint' they suddenly start hounding you 4-5 times daily on the phone !!!!!!"
"British Gas or Scottish Gas?? Which one? Think that should be the sign of something dodgy to begin with. They are the worst company I have ever come across. I wouldn't recommend this bunch to my worst enemy."
"Shocking service all they care is about getting as much money as possiable from the customer anyway they can. I have a small business and have been with British Gas for many years but only know I have recently found out that they have been charging me extorting rates and when I claimed they blamed it on me as I am small business and probably could not afford to take on there big legal teams. They have had me out of contract for more than two years and when I finally decided to leave they have made it so difficult and every time you speak to them they all seem to contradict each other and have no idea what they are saying. I would advice every one to stay well away from them as I have found them not to be ethical at all."
"Gas check booked last week for tomorrow was cancelled at 6pm today,too late to cancel day off work. Guy said he could reschedule end of August, 2 whole months later!! Shocking customer service and thus isn't the first time. Last year's was late and rescheduled too. They over book then cancel people, with no thought to to the customer. I am now looking for a competitor"
"A customer of BG for over 20 years, I changed supplier to the Peoples Energy Company because of the continual poor customer service and continuing price rises. My big gripe with them is the speed with which they send final bills to debt collection agencies. I contacted them to arrange a payment plan for the final bills. They were happy to take a payment and then informed me that they couldn't set up a payment plan because the final bills were in the process of being handed over to a debt collection agency. This was less than ONE MONTH after receiving the final bill. They refused to cancel the DCA but still took the money out of my account. Bloody awful service from someone willing to pay a debt. NEVER USE BRITISH GAS"
"Absolutely awful service. Very rude staff being aggressive towards me. When I complained to a supervisor, they told me they would transfer me to the correct department then just put me back in a queue. I was on the phone to them for 30 minutes and they didn't resolve my simple query. Shocking company. I will be cancelling my homecare cover at renewal."
"Awful! I moved into a flat recently and found the electric meter had been bypassed. Being the honest chap i am i rung British Gas to tell them. Within an hour i got a callback to meet them at the property and they will fix it and install a new meter. I went to the flat and 3 hours late a big burley man turns up and asks to look at the meter which i showed him. He then advised me he didn't know what he was looking at and needed an engineer. A couple of uncomfortable hours with the burley bloke and an engineer turns up. He then disconnected everything, took the meter didn't install another and left me with no electricity. I then found out the burley bloke was security for the engineer. British gas are a joke, if you ever find yourself in the same situation i recommend rinsing them for as much as you can...."
"An estimate is other words for taking more than they should. Be careful people triple check your metre readings before paying, I feel sorry for the elderly that struggle with this."
"REALLY bad experience - closed my account and got a final bill of £150 - even though i paid up until the date i moved out."
"I am only giving 1 star but they don't deserve any. I moved to the West Country in October 2016, and as I had Homecare at my last home in London, I immediately signed up with my new house and got a service in November 2016, which was good, or at least I thought it was, the service engineer said I needed a new filter and said a quote would be sent, which it was but about 3 weeks later. I tried to ring British Gas to get an engineer to fit the filter, but got no response. I contacted a local plumber and he replaced the filter for a quarter of the price British Gas were quoting, so I was enough, a lucky escape really. When the following October came I kept looking at my online account and it kept saying 'you are not due for a service yet, we will notify you when you are'. In November it was still saying this, so I rang up, they said they had no engineer until January, so 15 months after my last service, I took a days annual leave and the working day before, they rang up and cancelled! I made another appointment for the 9th April, again took 1 days annual leave, waited in all day until I eventually looked at the site at 6.30 and saw they had put 'book an engineer', during the day this was schedule for that day and changed at the end, no phone call, nothing, I then immediately put in a complaint and they said they would respond with 8 weeks! It has now gone well past that 8 weeks and I have heard nothing. Since my last service I have paid over £400 to British gas, has lost 2 days annual leave and am now about to go to the ombudsman. My nice local plumber has offered to service the boiler £74, which I will take him up on. If I was paying him £20 per month and he didn't deliver a service everyone would consider that outrageous and he would probably be done for fraud! Why does British Gas think they are beyond the general rules of customer service? Every part of their establishment has let me down. Has anyone else out there reading this had the same problems?"
"called out a plummer under our 400 policy on 30/03/18 to repair bath waste plug. move onto 28/05/18 sitting in my living room notice a large blister on the ceiling water had leaked from the bath waste.british gas say its one of those things. i have lived in this house for over 30 years and its never happened before so why now."
"Bad place to work very poor management."
British Gas is rated 1.48 based on 188 reviews