Peglegs UK Reviews

Peglegs UK 5 star review on 15th September 2020
Michael Williams
Peglegs UK 5 star review on 15th September 2020
Michael Williams
Bought for a young friend with a broken ankle. She's very pleased with the product so far, though she's still getting used to walking with it and will probably only gain full benefit over the next couple of weeks.
Well designed and materials used are of good quality. On slightly negative issues - on initial setting of the height, I had problems with the spring detents moving out of position within the pierced tubes causing me to 'fiddle' to relocate them. The other problem is that even though the height is set correct, I occasionally trip up due to the front of the sole catching/gripping the floor because I need to consciously lift my leg enough to clear the ground when walking.
On the height issue, there are two spring buttons on the lower assembly - try using the other one to shorten the lower unit by half a hole spacing.
I haven't actually used this yet, as my op was delayed! However, although my husband said it needed someone with a bit of "nous" to put it together, i.e. him, not me, it seems to be hopefully what I shall need to continue to be able to cook and generally get around whilst I am to be non-ambulatory for a while, lets hope so anyway!!
It's a great idea to get familiar with using the iWALK before your op, so when you need it for real you are already confident on it.
So... like many products this is typical where u really do have to get off your bum and give it a proper test drive.... so at £150 it's not for every one..... I personally knew that being at home on my own with 2 young Springer spaniel puppies was gonna b a challenge.... this pegleg has been a blessing in doin away with the crutches.... it does take a while to get use to.... once u have set it up its really easy to slip on and off.... I can get around the garden... just n careful of uneven surfaces etc..... would happily buy again and definitely recommend.... ibyhink the company should offer spare parts ie sponge supports and foot piece in order to help sell on as used.... in fact as I'm only likely to need this for 2/3 months max I anticipate selling on for at least £100.... I have had 20+ people ask me about where I got it and how easy is it to use.... I was given a leaflet by an nhs plaster cast technician.... cantbthank him enough..... it's a shame that the money spent on gadget like this does not go back into the nhs....
You are right - the iWALK needs the user to spend the time and effort learning to get the best out of it. We carry a full range of spare parts for next-day despatch. However, bear in mind that the manufacturers say that the iWALK 2.0 is designed as a single user medical device and is actually marked by them "Not For Rental". Even worse, each one being sold second-hand is a customer to whom we can't sell a new one!
Within about 20 minutes I was able to easily go up and down stairs, as well as being able to get about much more easily around the house. It's such a relief to get rid of the traditional crutches!
This innovative solution certainly helps with freeing your hands and make stair climbing much easier. It's been my experience that it's not as easy as the videos would have you believe although it may get better as time passes and I have less pain, therefore not being scared to fall or further injure my foot. It also adds to the weight on your leg, especially when you have a cast or a heavy boot strapped it. I guess each one will experience this differently but I am female and approx 1.57m so it is a heavy contraption. Having said all that, I will buy it again as it is a great product and lack of competition make this a market leader by default, not to steal the glory of a great Peg. The only reason I didn't give it "very Good" is because I haven't been able to use it with such ease as it was advertised, but as mentioned, probably user error. Good Luck Jan
The pegleg has been a real Godsend to me; I fractured my fibula and ankle, had surgery and have been NWB in a cast for 8 weeks so far. Moving around on crutches alone is tortuous, so having my hands free to actually be able to do normal things has been amazing. It took me a while to have the confidence to use it, and I do still use it with one crutch usually, but I find it invaluable and would recommend it to others. I have only given it 4 stars because I do find that I get some pain in my knee after a while, and know that physiologically knees are not meant to bear our body weight. For that reason, I use it for short periods only, but that doesn't take away the value, I just think that it needs to be used with some caution. Maybe that is my age - Im 61, so maybe not such a problem for someone younger and fitter! I also find the fastening mechanism a bit of a fiddle...especially when in a hurry to get to the loo!! Peglegs UK are great, I found them very helpful talking me through the pro's and cons, and was confident about ordering from them because I could return it if I didn't get on with it.
I like the peg leg but it may be better if it was a bit lighter if it’s posable.not if you can but when one has done a long walk it becomes tiredness.for me I had to had more padding because of my surgery am where that taken bone from my knee ,apart from that it’s been a reel joy to use and some freedom .thank you so much I would recommend to others.; yours m hodgkin
It was easy to get used to and had freed up my hands. I have walked the dog which I could not have done on crutches. Wore to work today - lots of interest and they liked it.
Quick delivery have brought for operation due in a few weeks so have not used it but very hopeful that it will keep me mobile while in plaster for 12 weeks
I have had my iwalk2 for a week now. It was pretty straight forward to assemble and set up. It really is an ingenious piece of kit and has been extremely well designed (no doubt at huge cost to someone) and manufactured to a very high standard with excellent materials, locks etc. I use it every day (initially to the amusement and/or surprise of onlookers) and am currently augmenting use of my crutches, ie I alternate. I find the straps to be a little uncomfortable at times, and think the strap padding could be improved generally. While it is a “one size fits all” I do worry a little that the “platform/ledge” for the lower leg is a lot shorter than my leg leaving my leg suspended a fair bit - the crutch “leg” is extendible but not the ledge. Perhaps there could be options to have a longer “ledge”? Maybe that’s not a big issue - I am 185cm tall and have “average” leg lengths so this must be a bit of an issue for others as well I expect. We have had snow lately so I’ve been unable to really give it a go outside. It certainly makes stairs (with a handrail) so much easier than crutches, and having my hands freed up, while going about the house is a massive bonus. I look forward to better weather and trying it outside.
Great product improved my clients life Vastly.
Very helpful when I had a problem with assembly. Good trustworthy business
Quick and efficient, however the delivery was a bit of a nightmare as there was a day but no time estimate so I had to be home all day. The device was easy to assemble but a little more complicated to walk on, up stairs easy down stairs not easy at all
This device has made a huge difference to my life in that I can be independent in my own home and do the basic everyday things for myself, like cooking, emptying the dishwasher, etc. However two improvements would make it perfect: It’s a little too heavy for me. I’m a slim lady and after going up the stairs once, found it very difficult to lift my leg plus the peg leg. So,I continue to go up on my bum. The second thing is that it can get tender on my shin, when I use it a lot, which restricts how much I use it. So perhaps more padding for the shin would help that problem.
Great bit of kit and most importantly made me mobile again. I had a snapped achilles and this worked great. In a leg plaster for 8 weeks and crutches were an absolute waste of time as they are so cumbersome and limit you to purely moving. The iwalk 2.0 means your hands are free so you can function like a normal person again...make a cup of tea and carry it to the sofa! Only improvement I can think of might be velcro on the adjustment straps as when you are out walking they can work loose and need re-tightening but it is very easy to do this.
There is a really easy fix for this - see the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Hj9YtUQPU
Very fast delivery
Because I have undergone surgery for fusion of my ankle. I may not put weight on my left leg for six weeks I have three to go. Neither crutches nor a Zimmer work for me. I expected to be housebound and get round on my hands and knees. Searching the internet I found a variety of wheeled devices which doubtless perform much the same function as the Peg leg. But they could not get me out outside. The peg leg would do that - I could cross the frame at the bottom of the door and step down to the front drive. I bought it Delivery arrangements were poor I found assembling the crutch easy. Demonstrably a great deal of skill went into the design. Classic British skills then? Actually not - Good Old USA. Well done. In just short of a week I am confidently walking around the house and using the stairs up and down. Yes it has got me in and out of the house - and I have been able to transit car parks and crowded restaurants - it's quite good for getting good tables too! There is a down side. My house is on sloping land and I do not yet have the confidence to walk out and up the road. Meantime here are some thoughts in case they help: From assembling the iwalk it is clear that considerable engineering skills have been exploited to bring it to where it is today. Even so there are two particular modifications I would encourage: Assembly There are attached to the central leg two tubular outriggers. They are secured at their base to the frame by a plastic headed bolt and screw. No problem here. The Central leg comprises two movable tubes which are adjustable for size. They are locked by two spring loaded ball bearings. The springs were too strong for me to depress. I had to resort to an adjustable wrench. Not everybody with my difficulties keeps such a tool close by! I recommend replacement of the ball bearings by a plastic headed bolt and screw similar to that described above. Adjustment The iwalk needs to be attached as tightly as possible. For this there are two adjusting buckles with tabs on each of the three straps. The idea is that once the tab on the black buckle is set it needs no further attention and can be buried in the protective cover. That leaves the tab on the grey buckle to be adjusted for daily use. Unfortunately it does not work like that. Because the tab on the grey buckle is too short it is necessary to set the tab on the black buckle every time the iwalk is fitted. Perhaps this problem can be resolved by extending the tab on the grey buckle.
Recently sustained a lisfranc fracture after a netball game. I was told by the surgeon that full recovery would be a maximum of 6 months. I am a single full-time working mum of two kids, and although I was told that I needed to be resting a lot, I needed a device that would atleast help me around the house with doing minor chores. I have no one to help me out for the 3 months with the cast on and then onto the boots non-bearing weight. I was desperate to find something that will help with my mobility and affordable as well. I came across the IWALK2.0 after doing online searches (Google) and I figured that this was what I was looking for. It's been 2 weeks now since I've been using it. Mostly use it around the house while doing household chores, resting in between. I use for short walks outside. I wouldn't recommend it for long distance walking since it can get very exhausting. I usually take it off when sitting down because of the weight of the IWALK bearing down on the injured foot. I'm a pro with putting it on and taking it off now. I would definitely recommend to anyone whose needing help with mobility after sustaining an injury similar to mine. The only problem that I seem to be getting from it is, I seem to be getting a lot of backache, if worn for a longer period of time. I believe this is due to the adjustments I made to it for a custom fitting. So far it's been a great help especially when you have no one to else to help you out.
Very happy