Barker and Stonehouse Reviews

Category:
Business & Office

Tell us how Barker and Stonehouse made you happy

Own Driver, Courier
"17 years ago we lived in house in Stokesley N. Yorks. Its was a beautiful house & thanks to having a good job, it was happily fully furnished by Barker & Storehouse and was n absolute pleasure to live in. We then had to move to Scotland for work and now after 17 years we have returned to our favourite market town of Stokesley once again to retire. Again to complete our new home we purchased two new settees from what was our favourite furniture shop (Barker & Storehouse) actually in Nov 2017. The units arrived in May 2018 and were terrible with the hide covering all slack & flapping, the rear spring digging in your back when you were sat and the cushion covers totally the wrong colours for our new living room. I did complain to B&S and asked to return the settees which they refused. So some months later a Technician arrived. He fixed the slack on the settees but could do nothing about the spring. So as the customer support was so bad I offered to close the whole issue and live with what we had if B&S would replace the cushion covers we requested. The reply was they had identified there were two colours for these cushion covers Barley something and Barley something else and the wrong box had been ticked so they would contact the seller to have them replaced. They did come back telling us they could replace at a cost of £880 for the four cushions, so needless to say when I picked myself up from the floor I once again complained resulting in a new offer from B&S (as a good client gesture) to purchase the same covers for £350. which I obviously refused and since all communication has stopped, so we are stuck with something we really don’t want. Needless to say I’m so sorry for B&S which used to be such a great family business as we could have easily compromised, simply by supplying a new set of the correct colour cushion covers but looks like this was a “NO”. Accordingly it now seems B&S manage themselves as a typical we have your money now on you bike and sod off and it’s just so sad they have sunk themselves by joining the terrible rat race."
Are you Barker and Stonehouse? No one is perfect. Reply to this negative review and show your potential customers that you value the feedback Barker and Stonehouse receives and that when things do go wrong you do your best to put things right. Reply Free
"Disgusting customer service. Ordered our items in July- it’s december and still not here! Today we were finally expecting our delivery and they haven’t showed up.called the store and they don’t know where our order is!! Don’t go to Hove branch of barker and stonehouse. Also as a side note, dining room table we bought stains when you put anything on it- it’s a dining room table!!!! Totally useless piece of furniture and cost over 2k. In summary; poor service, expensive and defective items, terrible communication. Will NEVER use this company again"
"The worst customer service I have received.we spent £6000 on a table and buffet only for them to be delivered a month late with chips in the buffet and a table that was totally different colour from the original order.2 months later we are still waiting for replacements.the ceo ignores all emails as well as the head of customer services Paul Bates.he did say there email system was down,yet I received an email off them today. I wanted to cancel but they have me stuck.we can’t buy anything in time for Christmas. I would advise great care in parting with money to company.they are not customer focused and have drastically let my family down.i will never buy anything from here again and I will be letting friends and family know what they are like."
"We’re very upset and in dismay about the delivery of our furniture. We made an order on 27th Oct as based on their promise of pre-Christmas delivery and because we were told that items would be ready mid November. We then received a voicemail, which we still have as proof, saying that the furniture arrived to their warehouse and to call them back to arrange a delivery date. We did and the delivery was scheduled for next week, 22nd November, and we have a confirmation email from them. Today, we received an email saying that actually the delivery won’t take place until after Christmas as the furniture isn’t due to arrive in the UK until 15th December?! But they told us they had it in their warehouse ready to be delivered! So now we’re moving to our new house with no furniture: beds, mattress, wardrobe, bedside tables, chest of draws, coffee table. We went to their lovely looking shop in Leeds on two occasions, with our newborn baby, made two orders for over £4,000 and are they just lying to us now? (As new parents moving house we do have much better things to do than waste our time choosing furniture that won’t be delivered on time). We’ve lost confidence in them as a company, and it’s a shame as the furniture looked lovely and we were going to go back for more to furnish our new house! We’ve also recommended the shop to our friends who also just moved house but will need to now warn them that the company can’t be trusted!"
"This is the 3rd lot of sofas we’ve had from the Newcastle upon Tyne branch, each lot were a different lot due to poor workmanship by manufacturer. On the 1st lot the woven material started fraying within itself after a short time, the 2nd lot was leather and lasted just over a year when I decided to freshen it up by using the leather care kit given by Barker and Stonehouse, following the care kits instructions by the letter. No sooner I had gently rubbed the initial cleaning stuff off as per instructions the colour started to come off onto the cloth. I tried another piece to find the same thing happening, then another. I then give up and contacted the store. They asked me to send a photo of the problem and of the cleaning cloth, which I did. They then sent a technician out who also took photos and told me they’ll contact another party to help find out what had happened. It works out that the manufacturer hadn’t sealed the colour in and they’re surprised it hadn’t come off onto our clothing, which it hadn’t. We were told to visit the store to select another suite, which we did and now find on buying Natuzzi sofas, supposedly a good make, the colour has come off the end of the arm and seats have sunk, this is just after 1 year of use! That’s 3 lots of 2 sofas and everyone has had problem, not of our making. Barker and Stonehouse have sent a technician-we were told it would be a Natuzzi technician but was from their own maintenance side and was very curt with us and more or less calling my husband a liar saying he didn’t change seats when sitting, which he did every time. We are both pensioners and are angry at Barker and Stonehouses’ attitude with us, hinting it’s our fault this has happened! They are, however, as a course of goodwill going to paint/colour the arm end and plump the seats up again. I now wish I’d never heard of Barker and Stonehouse as through their rubbish quality merchandise and attitude problem, we’re stuck with inferior quality goods. Also I will add that their CS is shocking once they’ve got your money as they don’t want to know, so avoid at all costs."
"We bought 2 sofas from the Leeds store we have never bought anything from barker and stone house before, all went well delivery went well with in 3weeks which was good as we where going away for the winter delivery was the end of October 2017 . So we sat on it for a week before we went away. Came back in March l noticed one of the bottom cushions where twisted, l started checking the other cushions and found something sharp on the base of one of the sofas. I got in touch with their customer service department the sent someone call Richard out he said the cushions where okay but took a staple out this was the sharp object l wasn’t happy with cushions more than one was doing the twisting thing Richard came back took picture to see the twisted cushions you had to sit oppersit sofa he took the picture from above l said you need to sit down to see the twist he said the cushions where fine l disagree so he wanted to see how l sat on the sofas l said l turn it over every week and when the grandchildren have been he tried to imply that my grandchildren had done it ,l had just about lost it by then he was so so patronising never been treated like this in all of my 62 years l was so annoyed l just about frog marched him out of my house .just wish l had read this page frist l put the pictures on Facebook to worn others This is from Linda Kellett"
"Absolutely disgusted with the way we have been treated. Barker and Stonehouse have been nothing but obstructive in resolving this issue. We spent more than £2000 on a table and chairs which we viewed in the Gatehead Metro Centre branch. When we received our table it had huge manmade grind marks in the top of it and was nothing like the one we saw in display which had a relatively smooth, natural wood surface. We were told that all the warehouse stock were also full of gouge marks so we asked if we could purchase the display model and were told we could. We then spent many phone calls and emails and 70 mile roundtrips to the store to try and sort this out. 3 weeks later we were told we could NOT have the display model because the manager at the Gateshead store would not let us. The Salisbury table in the store does not reflect the table you will receive, so beware if buying one. This is appalling treatment of your customers. Clearly Barker and Stonehouse do not want to sell furniture. We are now waiting to get our money back."
"Ordered a £700 dining table over the phone. Was told they would call to arrange delivery. They called and asked if I wanted a specific slot on a Friday in a few weeks time, I said I didn't think that would work, however, I then got in contact with them again to let them know it now would work. They agreed on the date. I took a day off work, and rang them to ask what time it would be arriving only to find that apparently we'd never arranged a devilry for this time and I'd have to wait several weeks until the next slot. No attempt to solve this issue from the management; they told me there was nothing they could do except give a refund. Would not shop here again."
"ITS THE MANAGEMENT THAT NEED A DRUG TEST 😉"
"I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased items off them. Same issues as all the others. On my first order I bought dining chairs, even though the website said in stock they werent! I then had to wait 2 months for delivery. A week before delivery was due I received an email saying there was going to be a further delay. After writing a snotty email I then got contacted to say they email was an error. After giving them the benefit of the doubt I then ordered 2 coffee tables. On the day of delivery I received a call to say that the leg on the small table had fallen off while being loaded onto the truck, and stock wouldn’t be available for 2 months!!!!! Stupidly I stuck with it, have received the table today and found s fault with one of the legs!!! Stock is not available now for a month and a half!! They then said they would offer me £20 GW, which is just rude. They would rather lose me as a customer, spend the money on covering half the country to collect them, then give me a sensible offers. To make matters worse the customer service team can’t arrange collection and refunds for online purchases so I now have to wait for them to call me, and apparently they can only contact them internally by form!!! They are a joke, don’t waste your time, I should have listened to the alarm bells!!"
"They are complete nightmare, joke. I haven't got any more words to describe this company. Nearly 3 weeks ago bought a lot of furniture from them for only one reason - I have been promised my delivery date will be 30th of July, which is 3 weeks after I bought the stuff. Guess what? At around 3pm I rang them asking is the delivery man still coming today, the answer knocked me off my shoes - NO, you are not even on the delivery list not just for today, but following week as well. The lady on a phone just said - you are too far from our warehouse (45 min drive) and it has to be booked as long distance delivery. That's was a complete joke! She said the only she can do is book me in for week commencing. I said - ok, I have no choice, please do. And funniest thing was she said someone from their delivery department will contact me next day in a morning to confirm delivery day - no one didn't! I have tried to ring them ,but unfortunately had no luck for someone to answer my call. Guys, stay away from this company, they are absolute pain. Now I will chase them for a refund as cant get my furniture."
"NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! BOUGHT 2 DINING ROOM TABLES AND WERE DAMAGED ON DELIVERY. NOW I AM EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH INSURANCE POLICY. DO NOT USE."
"Visited the Gateshead branch 5 July approx 5 pm. Store had no customers the staff did not greet me in anyway. I was not asked if I required help and on returning from first floor there was 2 staff either side of stairs a female and male talking over me with absolutely no customer service at all. Do you’re staff get paid to ignore customers. Yet on going to the cheaper furniture shop next door their customers service was 5 star. I suggest in these changing times for retail you revue you’re staff"
"The furniture gets treat like the bulk manager treats his lads diabolical that’s why their is so many bad reviews regarding broken furniture"
"Stay away at all costs , spent nearly £3k on new bedroom furniture and bed , furniture arrived damaged and delivery drivers very rude , walked over our luxury carpet in their dirty boots and told my wife they were not allowed to remove them under H&S guidelines , she asked if they had shoe covers and they said no they had ran out of them !! Finally got a delivery date for our bed , arrived today totally damaged and even worse the drivers tried to hide the damage and get a clear signature. Reported the damage immediately and Bed was recollected within 30 minutes and a full refund issued within 35 minutes ... Nice flashy showroom but no infrastructure to back it up .. Transport is terrible and rude drivers .... avoid at all costs"
"Dreadful experience I don’t normally comment on companies however I do need to say I have found my experience with Barker and Stonehouse dreadful and will never be ordering from them again. We ordered a leather chair and after a few weeks found marks appearing on the arm. We reported it to Barker and Stonehouse and sent a photo. Before even reviewing this they alleged we had dropped something on it. They then sent someone out to review the chair. He explained it was a manufacturing fault and attempted a repair which although better was not great. Having not heard of anything for a month we called them to ask for a progress update. They then claimed the case had been closed weeks before as the report had allegedy said this was customer damage. Someone is lying here and I think I know who. It is such a shame as we really liked the store and the product doesn’t look bad. If you do order though be aware they will do anything they can to avoid providing a replacement."
"Hi there, bought a sofa and 2 chairs form barker and stone house last November, nothing like what was in the showroom, had the technician out straight away to check the cushions as they seemed very crumpled and not plump, was then told by the technician that they were fine and that was how they were meant to be, not happy with this I then got another technician to come out independently and have a look, was told by him that he had lots of complaints about the cushions on the sofa and chairs, and that I would have to take out the cushions from there covers and give them a plump up every week to keep there shape, I was never told this in the shop by the sales guy, what a performance, 1 year on and my suite looks like a 10 year old sofa. Would not recommend anyone buying from this company, my old suite looked better when I gave it to a charity shop, wished I’d kept it."
"Spent a lot of money in their Wandsworth store...once they have your money they forget about you. Delivery took months and damaged furniture...which they try and take no responsibility over. There are plenty of better furniture shops out there...save yourself the stress."
Barker and Stonehouse is rated 1.06 based on 18 reviews