Academy Of Freelance Makeup Reviews

Ria Jaini
Academy Of Freelance Makeup 5 star review on 13th May 2020
Ria Jaini
Zoe Karlis
I enjoyed my time throughout my course, and was delighted to represent AOFM at this past LFW. Near the end of my course with AOFM in April 2015, I was hired by MAC (Fenwicks, Bond St.), and I am also the Product Specialist for my team. My time at AOFM was well spent, and I was awarded with a wider knowledge of the fashion/ makeup industry and a new found confidence as an artist. Though it was alot of information to take in, and adapting to different styles of makeup took practice, I am happy that alot of the information, tricks and tools stuck with me, and it is reflected in the quality of work produced. Learning from such a wide variety of professional makeup, hair and nail artists during the course was extremely advantageous - they all had something valuable to share with us. I have, and will continue, to recommend AOFM to others.
When I initially trained at AOFM the tutors and classes thought were great, I had the opportunity to learn a lot of new techniques and was informed very promptly about the industry which actually helped me after graduating because I knew I had to work hard and not get disheartened at the beginning of my career as it is going to be hard to lift my career off at the start, which gave me the motivation to keep improving myself and working hard.

The classes were small so one to one attention was provided to each one of us. It honestly was an educational and amazing experience.

I am so grateful and thankful for the after care as it has helped me to experience things which initially take basic make-up artists years to reach. I couldn't have picked a better academy to train with and I am astonished for all the after care support I have received so far.
Having worked in the beauty industry for a number of years, I decided to take the plunge and follow my yearning to become a freelance make up artist. I researched many different schools but AOFM shines brighter than all the others! If you are considering training to be a make up artist AOFM really is the number 1 acadamey ...lots of other schools are trying to imitate AOFM but don't be fooled..
I attended the total pro creative specialist course in November 2015. This was the most amazing 4 weeks! All of the tutors/artists were incredible and are actually working in the industry. Each day we were inspired by a new tutor/artist and taught different techniques.
The acadamey is very well equipped and offers students the chance to work with top brands such as Chanel, Charlotte tilbury, Mac, to name a few, we literally used a different range each day!
AOFM offers an outstanding aftercare support programme, I am so grateful for having the opportunity to work at London and New York fashion weeks, working on shoots for candid magazine and maxmara, and attending various masterclasses, this is all in the space of only 4 months! These opportunities are once in a life time and only made possible because of AOFM.
Thank you to all the fantastic tutors and to Jana, Jason,Barbara, and Danni ?? This really is a life changing course and the best in the industry.
Michelle Mitchell
I graduated in Oct '15. I joined the 5 weeks Pro Creative course and it was one of the best experience of my life. I really enjoined to be a student of such renowned makeup school. I met different teachers/artists and I have learnt different things from each of them. I did a similar course back home and I have to say that what I really liked about Aofm is that at the end of the course you really can assist such renowned makeup artists like Michelle Webb or Yin Lee backstage for Fashion shows and photoshoots. I had the opportunity to work backstage at Milan fashion Week '16 and London Collection Men Feb'16, it was both a great experience. I certainly learnt a lot from being behind the scenes I feel more confident now than how much I used to. You can steal some tricks from the best. I will definitely recommend this school to whoever wants to pursue carrier in the makeup industry.
The total pro course was amazing! With excellent tutors and a huge variety of products from the best makeup brands..
The aftercare program is also great by giving us the chance to assist backstage at London fashion week! Definitely a huge opportunity!
I was very glad to attend AOFM Professional Makeup and Hairstyling Course in July 2015 because at that time it was the right choice in my learning process.

As I did my first makeup school in Paris in 2013, when I attended AOFM School I already had a little knowledge of the classic makeup techniques. But this School is different, I mean it has a different approach to makeup, it's more fashion focused, and it was what I was looking for.
I liked very much that teachers were all freelancers who actually have been working in the fashion industry, they were up to date with the latest trends and they shared their experiences and their portfolios. I loved Michelle Webb, Valentina Creti, Barbara Braeunlich, Philippe Miletto, Angela Davis Deacon, Louise Dartford, Karla Mujica Barchieri because they brought their own style and personalities to the lessons giving me advice and tips. And I loved when some of them were strict about techniques and when they corrected my mistakes.
Another positive aspect of the school is that I learnt to do mood boards and to choose the right themes and inspirations in preparation for the final shooting with a professional photographer, pro models, pro stylist and pro hairstylist. I had also the chance to try various makeup brands like Mac Cosmetics, Charlotte Tilbury, Giorgio Armani, Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura and learn the differences in colors and textures.
The thing I loved the most was the opportunity to do the Fashion Week trial and join the Pro Team during the FWs in NY, London and Milan. Amazing learning experiences that helped me to learn, improve and grow as a makeup artist and that gave me the chance to meet some great people who are ready to work hard for free.
I'd recommend this school to everybody who is already into makeup, like an intermediate level, and want to take a step forward into fashion.

Thank you very much!
Giulia Carini
I personally thoroughly enjoyed the course, the best part was meeting all the different makeup artists and hair stylists, each one having completely different styles and tastes to the last. To name a few, Suzy Rucroft she was very professional and her work was fantastic. Carolyn Roper, her class was brilliant, getting to learn completely new techniques and she made it really fun. Angela Deakin, I really admired her work and for me it was my favourite style.

I took the course as an opportunity to kick start a whole new career, I was a PA for years and desperate to get out and do something creative, the part time course fitted in with my life perfectly as I could still work in the week. I am now working with Lancome as an Account Manager and do some freelance work when I can.

After the course I was lucky enough to work on the S/S 16 Gyunel show with Louise Dartford, she was great at leading us all, it was one of the best experiences and I am so glad I got that opportunity. I have also been to a few master classes including Chanel and Charlotte Tilbury which were full of great tips and tricks also not forgetting the free goodie bags and discounts.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the brush set and belt, myself and a few of the other girls on the course had faulty brushes where the whole brush head fell out. The hairs would fall out and the black dye on the belt came off onto the brushes making them impossible to use on someone's face. To be honest this minor point was completely over shadowed by the great aftercare and the fact that we got such huge discounts on the shopping day to purchase our own set of brushes.

I always highly recommend the course to friends as I get asked a lot about it through social media. I would love to look into doing another course with you guys at some point to better my skills.
Hey there Chloe!
Firstly, a massive congratulations on your new position at Lancome! It's always such a pleasure to hear of our graduate's success stories once they have departed the academy!
We are so glad to hear of your great experience whilst educating with us & that you love our aftercare programme as much as we do!
We are very sorry to hear of the issues you have had with the brushes that you were supplied with at the beginning of your course, all of our brushes are handmade & at the time of your education there was an issue with the glue that was being used by the manufacturers, we have since rectified the issue by going with a new manufacturers, if you continue to have issues, please don't hesitate to pop by the academy or just give us a call
See you soon!
AOFM
I did the Total pro creative specialist course with AOFM, it is a go to academy for everthing you need in the make up, fashion, and beauty industry.. i was being taught by the working industry bests, who will teach every area of the business, including good time keeping. All products used at the Aofm are all high end produdts, eg Charlotte Tilbury, Marc Jacobs, Mac, Nars and lots of others. Aofm does what it promises, as i assised back stage at the milan fashion week, New York Fashion week, master classes with Aofm and Charlotte Tilbury how exciting!!! And it goes on.. I'm really pleased to be part of the Aofm pro team as working back stage gives me both confidence and and more learning experience. Highly recomended, go and have a fantastic learning experience with unlimited after care ..AOFM actually keep there promise. Thanks to the fantastic Aofm team !!!
My experience with AOFM has been extremely positive, especially the interaction with the Makeup Artists during the course, I found them all to be exceptionally creative, compassionate and patient. The Masterclasses I have attended have been insightful and beneficial through learning about new products/techniques and receiving Pro discount. All of the assisting opportunities have fuelled my passion for this industry and have enabled me to work on incredible fashion and beauty events, assisting highly regarded and talented Makeup Artist which I would have otherwise never had the opportunity to work with. Whenever I am available I still love to attend the Masterclasses and assist the amazing Makeup Artists for London Fashion Week. I genuinely wish I had done this course years ago!!!
Having always had a love for all things makeup but never working in a field remotely close to this, I decided after much thought (and reaching the milestone age of 30) that I had to take the plunge, change my career and take the first step towards achieving my dream job! I researched many courses and none stood out as highly regarded as AOFM. I booked on to the Total Pro Creative Specialist 4 week course in November 2015 and it has proved to be the best thing I have ever done! I have learnt so much and gained so much knowledge and experience of the Makeup industry through AOFM both during my course and after. All the tutors on the course were very well established in their field and it was a privilege to have had the opportunity to learn from them. Each tutor had their own expertise, experience and unique style and so provided such a wealth of knowledge and advice which proves invaluable when you are taking the first steps in your career as a Makeup Artist. My particular favourite was the Avant Garde training, where we were encouraged to be really creative with makeup and try so many things I had never done before and I was amazed with the results we all achieved, particularly after starting the course only a week earlier as a complete beginner!

Since completing my course at AOFM in December 2015, I have had the privilege of working on several shows at London Fashion Week in February 2016, including the prestigious Paul Costelloe show. This was an experience of a lifetime and I learnt so much! The school keeps in regular contact with students regarding many fantastic opportunities and I look forward to being involved with many more in the future. AOFM also offers amazing free Master Classes, where you get a great deal of information on the latest looks and product knowledge, usually hosted by a professional with a great deal of high level experience within the industry. You also get exclusive discounts and offers on products which is great when you are building your kit. The most recent masterclass I attended for Charlotte Tilbury also gave me the opportunity to provide my CV to Charlotte Tilbury Management for consideration for any up-coming roles they had. The masterclasses are also a great opportunity to catch up with your old class mates and the AOFM team.

If you are thinking of becoming a Professional Makeup Artist I can highly recommend this course, as there are no other schools that offer the training and opportunities offered by AOFM. I would like to thank the AOFM Team as a whole as they all contributed to what was an amazing experience for me and one that has given me so much knowledge about the Makeup industry. It has allowed me to follow my aspirations and feel confident in establishing my dream career as a Professional Makeup Artist!
I attended the combined certificate program in NYC last summer and it was the best decision I have ever made! The classroom setting was amazing- with wonderful brands like Chanel,Mac, makeup forever, Marc Jacobs, shu uemura to name a few. It was so nice to have different teachers who had their own special artistry and were willing to share their knowledge and guide us althrougout. We also got to meet Jana Ririnui, who is the founder of AOFM. He spent some time with us althrougout the course and where he got to share his creative input with the students. I can never say enough good things about the course. I have been fortunate to join the aofm team for New York fashion week. I had such an amazing experience and I would encourage everyone who want to pursue their dreams of becoming a make up artist.
" For me, Make-Up meant a complete career change as I studied Law before, but I wanted to follow my dream and start a new path as a make-up artist. I wanted to choose one the best schools in the industry and as I did a lot of research, I finally found AOFM.

After completing the Professional Hair and Make up course and taking part in various masterclasses such as Bobbi Brown, MAC, Dermalogica and Smashbox, Lancome, amazing opportunity offered by AOFM, I managed to open my own make-up salon back home in Romania. In the meantime I had the chance to work alongside great and talented people and made very good friends while attending the fashion shows as part of the AOFM team in London, Paris, Milan and New York.

I will gladly recommend the Academy for anyone interested in building up a career in make-up. I felt inspired by the wonderful team of teachers, all of them renowned make-up professionals, the stimulating environment, and above all, the unique approach of creating opportunities for their graduates after the course. I worked with the best make-up artists team from Aofm at LFW, Milan Mens Collection and Milan Women, Bath in Fashion, Fashion Finest, New York Fashion week etc.
Therefore, I highly recommend AOFM as an academy that combines all ingredients to a successful career in the make-up industry.
I Studied Total Pro Creative Course with AOFM London. I have to say that I made the right decision coming from Copenhagen to London to study makeup, which was not easy financially speaking, but quite rewarding in terms of experience. AOFM opened a huge door for me, not only in terms of my acquired experience from the amazing AOFM staff, but as well, it opened a door for a continuous learning opportunities through their Master classes that it freely offers, as well as giving me opportunities to collaborate backstage at fashion weeks. This is the big difference between AOFM and other academies that I've attended in Copenhagen, Barcelona and Las Vegas. Obviously, I'm not expecting AOFM to provide me a job, but at least AOFM is constantly encouraging me, as well as other ex-students to build our Portfolio for potential jobs.
The course that I took in NYC with AOFM was such an amazing hands on learning experience. I loved getting taught by different Freelance Makeup Artists everyday and hearing about their experience and work in the industry. I have learned so many helpful tips from foundation application to tips for starting out as a freelancer. The photoshoot was one of my favorite experiences and I loved how professional it was. Getting to work backstage at Fashion Week is such an exciting learning opportunity that most people wait years to get to experience. I would recommend AOFM to anybody who wants to learn about makeup, whether you are just a beginner or if you already have experience!
I loved every single day of the course and now after almost three years after finishing the course I can say the aftercare program that they have is the best as it gives you the chance to work backstage side by side with the best makeup artist such as Michelle Webb and the best high end brands.Best makeup school.
Before I joined AOFM I just have basic skill of makeup and it changed a lot after I graduated from AOFM. I got a lot experience from the assisting opportunities that I've joined. It's like a dream after graduated I could joined asissting for the London Fashion Week. There's nothing like any other makeup school who give the students with big opportunities after graduated. So many makeup brands that I could used to practice and really help me for choosing a good brand and products for my kit. All the teacher were really patience and helpful with the steps to perfecting each look that I should achieve. Totally the choosen one for best makeup school to learn makeup artistry and the opportunity after graduate.
they're the best school in the world! For their professionality and support ! Had the honor to work for them at the fashion weeks ! Thank you very much AOFM best team and school ever !!!!
I attended the Foundation Course at the academy which was a fantastic experience. It's an intensive course but it needs to be because there is so much to cover. There is a good balance of demo's and practising each day and the teachers were extremely good. Would definitely recommend the academy to a friend.
I attended AOFM in September 2013 doing the five week intensive course which covered make up, hair styling, nails, airbrushing and and an introduction into SFX. There are two things that set AOFM apart from all the other make up artistry schools out there. The first is that this school is tailored to people hoping to make it in the industry as a freelancer. Everyday you are greeted with a different tutor who is working freelance. Having such a variety of different tutors that are all extremely successful gives you such a depth of knowledge. The second is the aftercare given by the school. It is next to none and cannot be beaten, although, you only get what you are willing to work for. Just like in the real world of work, you have to have the right attitude and determination to go far. If you think you have the drive and passion for make up artistry, AOFM is the right school for you!
If you want to become a make up artist this is a great place to start your career. You are trained by some of the best currently working in the industry and the aftercare and support you receive is incredible. I would recommend the school to anyone wanting to work in makeup.
Academy Of Freelance Makeup is rated 4.94 based on 114 reviews