Academy Of Freelance Makeup Reviews

+442074344488

info@aofmakeup.com

63 Dean Street Soho

More Photos & Videos
For anyone that is thinking of starting a career in makeup AOFM is the academy!!!

Before starting at AOFM i was a full time nail tech i wanted to learn more and absolutely love getting creative with makeup.
Since i have started at aofm in September 2015 i have learnt so much and still keep learning more and improving my skills every time i assist aofm and at the masterclasses. I did the complete pro course as it covered all areas of makeup,hair sfx and nails and enjoyed every day of it!

I found the classes great the tutors are absolutely amasing, they made sure that i was ok, understood everything and were always happy to help me with anything i was having difficulty with.

Since graduating aofm i have so many chances and opportunities assisting michelle webb and some many of the other very talented tutors at aofm. Being able to assist so soon after graduating has been amasing, it really gave me a chance to put the skills i have learnt in to action, learning more from each artist on how to become a successful makeup artist. Being able to see and be apart of the work that the tutors do on a daily basis has been absolutely fantastic and so much fun!

Having the chance to assist during fashion week, milan and london have been absolutely great, i have loved every minute of it, thank you for the opportunity to experience fashion week and can not wait to do it again soon!

I have met so many lovely people since starting at aofm and all have become great friends. I love how close and welcoming the AOFM team are, friendly and always helpful to all the students during and after studying.

The only thing i would change,would be that i wishes i lived in London or closer. Every chance that i can get off for any assisting jobs with aofm i have taken it and have had such a great time!

The best decision i have ever made!! Thank you AOFM!!
I took a Total pro course with AOFM in July 2015. The course was very intense including makeup, hair styling, nails, and airbrush. I've learned various skills from this course and it is essential to topping up my skills. The course provided me a set of essential brushes with practical brush belt which I love it. Moreover, I had opportunities to try loads of high-end brand products such as Chanel, Gucci, Charlotte Tilbury, Bobbi Brown, Mac, etc. In addition, each class was taught by various experienced freelance makeup artists and I could learn various tips and tricks from them.
After graduation, aftercare from AOFM is the strongest point. I've got exclusive opportunities to work backstage at London and Milan Fashion Week. They are an amazing experience and I couldn't ask more. Furthermore, AOFM provides us infinity masterclass. I've attended and got a lot of discounts from several masterclasses with many high-end brands such as Charlotte Tilbury, Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Nars, etc.
Overall, it's my right decision to take this course with AOFM.
I graduated AOFM in 2014.

I was happy that I could practice various skin & style.

Also, They still give amazing opportunities such as backstage, private fashion show, masterclass, refresh class, event, etc.
I met a lot of good makeup artist who can help each other in this industry.

I could work various area with portfolio and career from AOFM.

I strongly recommend this Academy to build up your skill and career as a hair & Makeup artist.

AOFM is the best academy ever.
AOFM is a great school that has taught me more about the makeup industry than I could have ever imagined. The curriculum set up was perfect. Allowing the student to learn the different fields in the makeup world during the morning half of the day and then hands on application during the afternoon. In addition to what was taught, I would liked to have seen an hour or two devoted to the business side of the industry. Also, add a session for airbrush. I might add that Mykel Renner was my all time favorite instructor. (#Awesome)
All in all you and Dani make a fabulous team. You both are very knowledgable about the application of makeup and the makeup industry itself. Dani was fantastic with helping us feel comfortable and you both gave great feedback with your critiques. I feel the training I received prepared me with the tools to go forward as a true freelance makeup artist. Thank you
Undoubtedly the best make-up school in the industry! If you are thinking of changing your career, improving your make-up skills and learning current styling trends, this is the place for you.

Three key things that separates them from other make-up school in the market today. First is the quality of their teachers, all of whom are working professionals within the industry. Apart from being ‘current’ within the fashion world, they will give you the insight of what it takes to be successful, what products work, what techniques are best, and most of all how to be confident in your application.

Second is the academy’s well planned, tried, and tested curriculum. The lessons takes you from absolute beginner, draws out your creativity (even if you think you don’t have one!), and sends you out as well rounded make-up artist who could do make-up on any age, gender, occasion, era, style and demands; including body painting and special fx!

And thirdly, AOFM is the only school that gives their students a selection of graduate opportunities in order to launch their career successfully. Starting with a professional photo shoot to kick start your portfolio; to assisting at various Fashion Week shows (London, New York, Paris, Milan, Japan, and others); London Collections Men; various work and assignments; as well as continued Masterclasses from leading make-up artist and make-up brands to keep their graduates up to date.

Highly recommended and regarded make-up school in the industry! A thoroughly enjoyable experience and life changing!
I attend Total Pro course at AOFM, and really loved it. They have the best tutors in the industry so you get to work and learn from the best.
What's even more amazing about AOFM is the aftercare. I got to work on the best jobs, fashion shows,... where I gained so much experience.
I would recommend AOFM to everyone!!!
The opportunities offered to students both during the course and after are completely unique to AOFM. By getting to learn from different artists who are currently working in the field, AOFM grants students the chance to explore varying techniques, approaches and mediums without fear of "doing something wrong." One of the most appealing aspects of the school was the repetition of the phrase "there is no right way to do makeup." As an individual who believes creativity should never have a cap, this was something that encouraged me as an artist. In addition to all that was done during the course, AOFM's aftercare and master classes are a huge bonus that few schools can rival. One of the best perks (and as far as I'm concerned exclusive to AOFM), is the opportunity to work fashion weeks all over the globe. I have personally worked backstage at New York Fashion Week on the AOFM team and have found it to be rewarding in experience and a great chance to network with models, stylists, etc. Also, being able to work with people you know and trust to help achieve a vision is reward enough. As a past and pleased student, AOFM would definitely be the first place I direct any prospective or seasoned makeup artist who is looking for a well-rounded and unbiased teaching.
AOFM really goes an extra mile for their students and graduates!
This school offers an amazing opportunity to study and work with highly professional, industry recognised makeup artists. AOFM creates a real life industry environment and techniques I have learned at this school can be defenetly applied to day to day work. The course is intense and many people asked me if that was worth the money you pay for a 4 week course. Well, I can say with all the confidence that every second of the training is a valuable experience. Everything I learned there is helping me through my career - practical skills, theory, discipline, product knowledge, ethics etc. Of course there's so much more to learn, however AOFM offered me a first hand aftercare and a range of a high quality master classes as well as an amazing work opportunities. I haven't doubted a second choosing this school and the experience I gained was beyond my expectations. Since I finished my course last year, I was lucky enough to work backstage as a part of AOFM team at London and Milan fashion weeks and other exciting projects, which gave me an Indepth knowledge of the industry, an opportunity to network with other industry professionals and a great deal of confidence And fulfilment
Hands on Knowledgeable teachers in a fun and exciting learning environment with amazing once in a lifetime opportunities.
I attended the Academy Of Freelance Makeup at their Soho school in London in December 2014, completing the "Total Pro" Course.

The 4 week course sets you up brilliantly for a career in the makeup artist/hair stylist industry, starting with great coverage of basic makeup application (foundation, brows, contouring etc) all the way up to full creative makeup, body painting and hair styling. You will leave with a full set of skills ready for building a portfolio. AOFM also gives great insight and excellent advice on what life will be like after graduating, and that hard work plus the skills learnt are going to put you in good stead for a successful career.

The aftercare is second to none, Including a great range of brand masterclasses for graduates (with the Urban Decay and Chanel evenings being firm favourites of mine so far!). I have been to Milan Fashion Week 3 times, along side other European countries with the school, with New York next on my list! This as well as working at London Fashion weeks regularly for both the Men's and Women's shows thanks to AOFM.

After having been taught by the best professional tutors and Directors at AOFM, plus on going support with work opportunities, my career has become very successful within just a year and a half of graduating. My own hard work and perseverance has been so worth it when I've been lucky enough to work with celebrity clients through AOFM at events, award shows, editorial shoots and look books to name but a few!
AOFM review
I attended the Academy in February 2012.
I wanted to refresh my skills from past training that I felt had not been adequate and I’d also had a break to have my 2 children so when I was looking for schools this one was the school that really jumped out at me.
The promise of the aftercare programme I felt was very important to me….as a make-up artist you never stop learning and wanting to improve so I guess I choose this school over others because of that reason.
My first day was one I will never forget! As soon as we were handed out our brushes (the AOFM brushes are given to you as part of the package) I was hooked!
The great thing about the course is it’s so hands on and you get down to practical pretty much straight away which in my opinion is the only way to learn!
I was worried at first because I had thought after having my children that my career was over! My First tutor , Maria revealed that she had in fact been a mathematician until her early 40’s and had taken a huge career change, proving it’s never too late to follow your dreams and yes………….she completely inspired me!
We were taught by different artists every day that are out in the industry, so the wealth of experience and advice they teach you is second to none, teaching us not just how to apply makeup but how to handle the industry and succeed is so important also!
Each tutor I found to be so inspiring and full of passion which really adds to the magic of this school!
The products that we were let loose with in class were all Top class brands……Chanel, Armani, MUFE, Charlotte Tilbury, Shu uemura , Benefit, Nars to name but a few! This was so important to me as I was able to work with and experience the differences! It’s the only way to get a feel as to what you want to use in your kit as we all have a own personal favourites!
The whole course experience was amazing and only fuelled my make-up passion more! Further still I made friendships with other students, whom I still see often and take great pride in supporting their careers, some of them have gone on to do amazing things since we graduated and it only inspires me more!
In February this year I was offered an amazing opportunity with the school to fly to Milan and work backstage with them for the Sergei Grinko Show, assisting the very talented Michelle Webb.
I can honestly say that in a little over 24 hours I had the time of my life…..bringing a lifelong dream to reality!
The team I was part of were wonderful and I was lucky enough to travel out with a fellow student whom I was put in touch with via the school and we really looked after each other and gave each other great support!
During the show Jana (head of Education) was never far from me and gave me great direction and support of my work! The show was very fast pace and as it was my first time back stage I was very well looked after!
After wards having experienced my first adrenaline rush from a live show I was on a high!
Jana took all us graduates for cocktails at the Dolce and Gabbana lounge in Milan to say thank you! It was such a lovely Gesture and made us feel truly valued for our work!
I would 150% recommend this school to any aspiring artist!
The master classes that are offered as part of the aftercare programme are invaluable for keeping me inspired, up to date and in contact with all the right people.
My make-up passion continues …………….with AOFM!
My experience with AOFM was what I was expecting, since class number one till the opportunities after get the certificate. Makes me feel more motivated, trained and with the thought that I can do even more. Given me and to a lot of people the chance to be part of the FASHION WEEK was one amazing experience. So many thanks to all the people who is involved for make this happen.
Attended AOFM a year ago now and so far I have had so many great opportunities with their aftercare programme, I have had paid opportunities as well as attending 2 London Fashion weeks and Milan. AOFM also offer free exclusive masterclasses available after completing the course like with Charlotte Tilbury and Chanel which are great to attend. AOFM was a professional but friendly school and offers a good working relationship with tutors as well who you can also have assisting opportunities with. Very pleased with my AOFM experience and look forward to keep working with them.
I enjoyed my time throughout my course, and was delighted to represent AOFM at this past LFW. Near the end of my course with AOFM in April 2015, I was hired by MAC (Fenwicks, Bond St.), and I am also the Product Specialist for my team. My time at AOFM was well spent, and I was awarded with a wider knowledge of the fashion/ makeup industry and a new found confidence as an artist. Though it was alot of information to take in, and adapting to different styles of makeup took practice, I am happy that alot of the information, tricks and tools stuck with me, and it is reflected in the quality of work produced. Learning from such a wide variety of professional makeup, hair and nail artists during the course was extremely advantageous - they all had something valuable to share with us. I have, and will continue, to recommend AOFM to others.
When I initially trained at AOFM the tutors and classes thought were great, I had the opportunity to learn a lot of new techniques and was informed very promptly about the industry which actually helped me after graduating because I knew I had to work hard and not get disheartened at the beginning of my career as it is going to be hard to lift my career off at the start, which gave me the motivation to keep improving myself and working hard.

The classes were small so one to one attention was provided to each one of us. It honestly was an educational and amazing experience.

I am so grateful and thankful for the after care as it has helped me to experience things which initially take basic make-up artists years to reach. I couldn't have picked a better academy to train with and I am astonished for all the after care support I have received so far.
Having worked in the beauty industry for a number of years, I decided to take the plunge and follow my yearning to become a freelance make up artist. I researched many different schools but AOFM shines brighter than all the others! If you are considering training to be a make up artist AOFM really is the number 1 acadamey ...lots of other schools are trying to imitate AOFM but don't be fooled..
I attended the total pro creative specialist course in November 2015. This was the most amazing 4 weeks! All of the tutors/artists were incredible and are actually working in the industry. Each day we were inspired by a new tutor/artist and taught different techniques.
The acadamey is very well equipped and offers students the chance to work with top brands such as Chanel, Charlotte tilbury, Mac, to name a few, we literally used a different range each day!
AOFM offers an outstanding aftercare support programme, I am so grateful for having the opportunity to work at London and New York fashion weeks, working on shoots for candid magazine and maxmara, and attending various masterclasses, this is all in the space of only 4 months! These opportunities are once in a life time and only made possible because of AOFM.
Thank you to all the fantastic tutors and to Jana, Jason,Barbara, and Danni ?? This really is a life changing course and the best in the industry.
Michelle Mitchell
I graduated in Oct '15. I joined the 5 weeks Pro Creative course and it was one of the best experience of my life. I really enjoined to be a student of such renowned makeup school. I met different teachers/artists and I have learnt different things from each of them. I did a similar course back home and I have to say that what I really liked about Aofm is that at the end of the course you really can assist such renowned makeup artists like Michelle Webb or Yin Lee backstage for Fashion shows and photoshoots. I had the opportunity to work backstage at Milan fashion Week '16 and London Collection Men Feb'16, it was both a great experience. I certainly learnt a lot from being behind the scenes I feel more confident now than how much I used to. You can steal some tricks from the best. I will definitely recommend this school to whoever wants to pursue carrier in the makeup industry.
The total pro course was amazing! With excellent tutors and a huge variety of products from the best makeup brands..
The aftercare program is also great by giving us the chance to assist backstage at London fashion week! Definitely a huge opportunity!
I was very glad to attend AOFM Professional Makeup and Hairstyling Course in July 2015 because at that time it was the right choice in my learning process.

As I did my first makeup school in Paris in 2013, when I attended AOFM School I already had a little knowledge of the classic makeup techniques. But this School is different, I mean it has a different approach to makeup, it's more fashion focused, and it was what I was looking for.
I liked very much that teachers were all freelancers who actually have been working in the fashion industry, they were up to date with the latest trends and they shared their experiences and their portfolios. I loved Michelle Webb, Valentina Creti, Barbara Braeunlich, Philippe Miletto, Angela Davis Deacon, Louise Dartford, Karla Mujica Barchieri because they brought their own style and personalities to the lessons giving me advice and tips. And I loved when some of them were strict about techniques and when they corrected my mistakes.
Another positive aspect of the school is that I learnt to do mood boards and to choose the right themes and inspirations in preparation for the final shooting with a professional photographer, pro models, pro stylist and pro hairstylist. I had also the chance to try various makeup brands like Mac Cosmetics, Charlotte Tilbury, Giorgio Armani, Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura and learn the differences in colors and textures.
The thing I loved the most was the opportunity to do the Fashion Week trial and join the Pro Team during the FWs in NY, London and Milan. Amazing learning experiences that helped me to learn, improve and grow as a makeup artist and that gave me the chance to meet some great people who are ready to work hard for free.
I'd recommend this school to everybody who is already into makeup, like an intermediate level, and want to take a step forward into fashion.

Thank you very much!
Giulia Carini
I personally thoroughly enjoyed the course, the best part was meeting all the different makeup artists and hair stylists, each one having completely different styles and tastes to the last. To name a few, Suzy Rucroft she was very professional and her work was fantastic. Carolyn Roper, her class was brilliant, getting to learn completely new techniques and she made it really fun. Angela Deakin, I really admired her work and for me it was my favourite style.

I took the course as an opportunity to kick start a whole new career, I was a PA for years and desperate to get out and do something creative, the part time course fitted in with my life perfectly as I could still work in the week. I am now working with Lancome as an Account Manager and do some freelance work when I can.

After the course I was lucky enough to work on the S/S 16 Gyunel show with Louise Dartford, she was great at leading us all, it was one of the best experiences and I am so glad I got that opportunity. I have also been to a few master classes including Chanel and Charlotte Tilbury which were full of great tips and tricks also not forgetting the free goodie bags and discounts.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the brush set and belt, myself and a few of the other girls on the course had faulty brushes where the whole brush head fell out. The hairs would fall out and the black dye on the belt came off onto the brushes making them impossible to use on someone's face. To be honest this minor point was completely over shadowed by the great aftercare and the fact that we got such huge discounts on the shopping day to purchase our own set of brushes.

I always highly recommend the course to friends as I get asked a lot about it through social media. I would love to look into doing another course with you guys at some point to better my skills.
Hey there Chloe!
Firstly, a massive congratulations on your new position at Lancome! It's always such a pleasure to hear of our graduate's success stories once they have departed the academy!
We are so glad to hear of your great experience whilst educating with us & that you love our aftercare programme as much as we do!
We are very sorry to hear of the issues you have had with the brushes that you were supplied with at the beginning of your course, all of our brushes are handmade & at the time of your education there was an issue with the glue that was being used by the manufacturers, we have since rectified the issue by going with a new manufacturers, if you continue to have issues, please don't hesitate to pop by the academy or just give us a call
See you soon!