"I have just had my Black Ponting for a couple days, and it is a wonderful timepiece. I already had a Carter II (quartz GMT) which was the first watch I got in my quest for a GMT device (travel + newly married = need to know home time better). But when I saw the Ponting Black, with the smaller inner 24 hour GMT dial (much easier to read) and the DLC finish (I have a Ball DLC watch I love) I had to have it. There are a couple things I don't love about the Ponting Black, but all in all I am very glad to own it. Here are the negatives:
1) Lume advertising: On the web site, there is a "night/day" toggle, sort of like the kind one sees on Ball or Luinox sites (they are big big big on lume) and that night picture of the Farer Ponting Black is... misleading. The night toggle pic makes the watch look completely and easily readable at night. Not. The hands are visible after one gets used to the dark; the numbers.. barely maybe. There is no way that night toggle picture in any way reflects what the Ponting Black looks like in the dark. Still, it is fine, as standard watch lumes go. Nevertheless, I felt a bit disappointed after shelling out 1500 dollars, but as I say, I still love this watch, which is mainly about GMT issues.
2) Bitty Little Crown - the crown (windy-uppy dodad on side) is very small and hard to grip. Not a huge problem, but it is a challenge setting the GMT time or winding it with the small size and difficulty in gripping. I realize the Farer aesthetic would be violated by a massive crown; the watches are beautiful in their consistent proportion and lines; still, a slightly thicker and bigger crown would make it much easier to do the crown-ish things that the crown must to.
Some things I love:
1) The glass back. That is so so cool
2) That each watch has a number. Also genius marketing, because between times looking at the website, I saw desired numbers disappearing. Created urgency. Smart.
3) The subtle use of colors on the face and hands. beautiful.
4) The packaging. Superb
5) The easy to use, switch, and remove universal straps. This a fantastic. All watch makers should follow suit. And please make a deep red band. That would look so cool with the DLC finish.
Keep doing what you are doing Farer!!"